Possible OS X 10.10 names discovered in trademark filings, continue with California theme

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Ventura: all I can think of is a certain investigator of pet crimes...
  • Reply 62 of 77
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    OS X Sonoma: The wino edition.
  • Reply 63 of 77
    I think this is a Easter egg for OS X Mavericks. I found it and iOS maps maybe they will [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/43962/width/200/height/400[/IMG]do the same thing in the next OS
  • Reply 64 of 77
    ronhipronhip Posts: 2member

Mac OS X 10.10 should obviously be called "Eames"

Charles and Ray Eames produced the legendary "Powers of 10" short film that I'm sure readers of this column are intimately familiar with!

• Reply 65 of 77
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Perhaps the reason the date didn't match on "Yosemite" is that it was already used (and likely trademarks filed) as the name for the original blue and white G3's. (the tall "PowerMac" not the iMac)
    Not saying they couldn't use it again, but if I were Phil (which i'm not), I wouldn't.
  • Reply 66 of 77
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member

Yo-sem-i-te

• Reply 67 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    indyfx wrote: »
    Perhaps the reason the date didn't match on "Yosemite" is that it was already used (and likely trademarks filed) as the name for the original blue and white G3's. (the tall "PowerMac" not the iMac) Not saying they couldn't use it again, but if I were Phil (which i'm not), I wouldn't.

I hope they don't use it again, because I want them to use more obscure names so I can learn something new with each new name, but they did use iBook for a notebook and iBooks for an app so I think an old Power Mac codename from 15 years ago means that Yosemite is definitely still on the table.
  • Reply 68 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

So I’m the first to mention how embarrassing this leak is? This is obviously one of the posters that is supposed to be covered before the keynote.

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Sorry, 10.10 is just ridiculous. 10.10 is very similar to 10.1.0, which is common nomenclature (not that it will lead to much confusion). 10.10.10 is going to look ludicrous.

No, it’s perfectly fine. No one will be confused, as you said.

They really need to figure out what comes after OS X marketing.

The tech for OS XI doesn’t exist yet, so they can’t very well move to it.

• Reply 69 of 77
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Humboldt?

Then, when they get to OSX ninety and nine:

Tehachapi

Folsom

San Quentin

Alcatraz
  • Reply 70 of 77
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    So I’m the first to mention how embarrassing this leak is? This is obviously one of the posters that is supposed to be covered before the keynote.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Sorry, 10.10 is just ridiculous. 10.10 is very similar to 10.1.0, which is common nomenclature (not that it will lead to much confusion). 10.10.10 is going to look ludicrous.</span>
    No, it’s perfectly fine. No one will be confused, as you said.
    They really need to figure out what comes after OS X marketing.

The tech for OS XI doesn’t exist yet, so they can’t very well move to it.

I've always been partial to "elevendy-ninedy" :D
  • Reply 71 of 77

I'm not American (so don't know if I'm right) but I've always pronounced it "Yo-seh-muh-tea"– 'seh' like Seth without 't' and 'muh' like in machine.

• Reply 72 of 77
    wetlanderwetlander Posts: 38member
    What about the highly inspirational 'OS X Whitney'?
  • Reply 73 of 77
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What are you talking about? These posters are leaked online before the event EVERY SINGLE YEAR. There's nothing "embarrassing" about it. And no, they're never covered. But yes, an "8" and an "X" are shockingly revealing. 

Unless your post was sarcasm. Which I hope it was. 

• Reply 74 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

These posters are leaked online before the event EVERY SINGLE YEAR. There's nothing "embarrassing" about it.

Yeah, the ones they have up before the keynote.

And no, they're never covered.

2007. 2011. 2013.

But yes, an "8" and an "X" are shockingly revealing. 

We now know the theme of iOS 8 and the name of 10.10. We didn’t before.

A few years back, we learned the iCloud logo early because of an uncovered banner.

• Reply 75 of 77
    slurpy wrote: »
    What are you talking about? These posters are leaked online before the event EVERY SINGLE YEAR. There's nothing "embarrassing" about it. And no, they're never covered. But yes, an "8" and an "X" are shockingly revealing. 

Unless your post was sarcasm. Which I hope it was. 

Well, I'm hoping that banner was hung upside down for iOS 8. If it's hung properly then it implies that it's raining from the ocean.

If the picture is of the banner hung upside right then it means it's raining from a very strange cloud.

The fact that it's an 8 doesn't help. Perhaps that the point.
  • Reply 76 of 77
    With a lemniscate used for iOS8, prepare for the rush of trolls saying it proves Apple enthusiasts are lemmings.
  • Reply 77 of 77
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewPalmer View Post

With a lemniscate used for iOS8, prepare for the rush of trolls saying it proves Apple enthusiasts are lemmings.

Windows is by far the most popular platform (90%), so Windows users are the lemmings. Linux users are all zealots, who want everything to be "open" no matter what. Mac users are just buying good quality.