WWDC 2014 preview: Apple's interest in home, health & headphones

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 104
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Apple aren't exactly known for stellar audio hardware.

I always wanted an iPod Hi-Fi. It was just too expensive.

Did you catch Eddy Cue the other day? He implied that Apple were going to bring out speakers again! I hope they might bring out a pair rather than just a standalone.

• Reply 102 of 104
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

24" is way too small. I have a 30" Cinema so I would like a 4K at that size or even slightly larger. The sweet spot would be $2000 - 2400. I can't recall what I paid for my 30" but I think it was closer to $3000. 

I doubt they are announcing anything like that at WWDC but a new Apple 4K 30" would probably seal the deal for me buying a new Mac Pro.

I remember them going off the market at $1800. Everymac seems to support that, even though they refer to it as estimated current retail. It was the last new retail price. At its debut part of the cost was a gpu upgrade available only on the G5, which was needed to run it. Roughly a generation later all powermac G5s could run it. I don't recall how long it took before notebooks gained that ability. Apple dropped them in favor of the 27". Some brands kept their 30" models going a bit longer, but quite a few went from the 30" 16:10 to 27" 16:9 for their top display. 32" displays didn't hit the market until last year. I don't think 24" is a bad size for 4K output. 24" is a size that can be kept fairly close or pushed a bit back. Looking at either the 17" 1920 x 1200 or the 15" rmbp compared to a 24" at 1920 x 1200 (the standard resolution at 24" prior to 4K) you do start to notice some minor aliasing on certain things.

I personally like the 24" size, but I doubt Apple will go that route. It might impose further design constraints on their hardware choices for the higher end imac model. I expect that they will still share hardware, given their current trends. The thunderbolt displays bundles a lot of docking functionality, and they share panels with the imac. It seems unlikely to me that they would split a high end monitor off into its own thing, given how much that goes against their behavior over the past few years. Further looking at other brands, displays tend to carry longer refresh cycles than typical computing hardware.

Higher end models don't typically see major changes more than every three years. If you're purchasing one that uses any kind of hardware LUT functionality for calibration/correlation purposes, it's typically even longer if you wait for bug fixes before buying. Apple isn't saddled with that, but I do think they want to continue to rely on that kind of component sharing with one of their lower volume (in relative terms) items.

• Reply 103 of 104
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Why can't Apple stick to one product for at least 3 years and than introduce another one.Regarding the MBP and MBA lines.