Apple unveils iOS 8 with interactive notifications, QuickType keyboard, group text enhancements

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, but it’s nothing like this.

Which was a pathetic attempt at copying the storage from .Mac.

How is it not exactly the same as this???? Have you ever used the Android one?

And please, .Mac was turrible. I hated it when I had my mac.

• Reply 22 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Where is the guy claiming WWDC was going to be underwhelming? 

Holy Cow! That was f**king incredible!

They may not have introduced a single feature that wasn't already a core part of Android, but everyone has to give them  a lot of credit for finally making it this far with iOS.

It really shows you how much Apple has changed over the past year or two. Finally listening to all their customers for these features.

• Reply 23 of 57
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    nexusphan wrote: »

iCloud drive is clearly an attempt to duplicate Google Drive from the very beginning of Android.

Dropbox, SkyDrive, etc.

Oh, and .Mac.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    nexusphan wrote: »
    They may not have introduced a single feature that wasn't already a core part of Android, but everyone has to give them  a lot of credit for finally making it this far with iOS.
    It really shows you how much Apple has changed over the past year or two. Finally listening to all their customers for these features.

Not a single feature... FUD
  • Reply 25 of 57
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

All nice additions but nothing really new. All of these are already available on other platforms.

?

It's not as simple as the other "predictive texts". It goes beyond typing "th" and giving you the option of "thanks" "there" "they".  Can you really not see past that?

• Reply 26 of 57
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Here comes the FUD, doodle doo doo… 
    Here comes the FUD, and I say…
    Get out now.

*guitar riff*
    I'm just acknowledging that these are already available on other platforms. I have no problem with Apple implementing them, if anything some of them were long overdue (f.e. interactive notifications).
  • Reply 27 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I'm just acknowledging that these are already available on other platforms.

No, not in the same way.

• Reply 28 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

You aren't enlightening us- you simply just look like an idiot that everyone shakes their head at and feels sorry for.  Sure, you get a response here and there, but it's always to counter you, and you never "win".

It's as awkward as someone telling you- in front of everyone at a party- that you aren't invited and no one wants you here, yet you hang around eating your chips and queso in the corner clueless to what just happened.

• Reply 29 of 57
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    andysol wrote: »
    ?
    It's not as simple as the other "predictive texts". It goes beyond typing "th" and giving you the option of "thanks" "there" "they".  Can you really not see past that?
    I know, it learns your habits and makes predictions even before you start typing the word which is something Android's default keyboard also has.
    I have no problem with Apple implementing the feature, but it isn't new. Which counts for many of these features, but they are still nice additions.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

?

Ya, I know what it does. It's exactly the same as Google's next word predictive keyboard.

• Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:

I know, it learns your habits and makes predictions even before you start typing the word which is something Android's default keyboard also has.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Ya, I know what it does. It's exactly the same as Google's next word predictive keyboard.

It also goes beyond simply learning your habits- you did watch the same Keynote that I did, correct?  Did you not see how it gives different predictions based on the relationship of the recipient?  Maybe your internet connection sputtered and it skipped over that.

• Reply 32 of 57
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    chipsy wrote: »
    I'm just acknowledging that these are already available on other platforms. I have no problem with Apple implementing them, if anything some of them were long overdue (f.e. interactive notifications).

It's fairly obvious you weren't watching the demo.

Predictive text and typing are actually coming from the text messages themselves... and it's learning your response style PER contact. This opens the door for predictive multi-language switching.

Oh... and no... Google better not have it in Android using the same implementation, because it uses the exact Apple patent that was won recently against Samsung.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

It also goes beyond simply learning your habits- you did watch the same Keynote that I did, correct?  Did you not see how it gives different predictions based on the relationship of the recipient?  Maybe your internet connection sputtered and it skipped over that.

The next word predictive text feature (I can type out entire sentences without hitting one single letter based on previous conversations and contextual information) have been out for years!! It's been a part of the stock Google keyboard for over a year now.

• Reply 34 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Oh... and no... Google better not have it in Android using the same implementation, because it uses the exact Apple patent that was won recently against Samsung.

It's pretty useless. The Samsung / Android douches are the ones who always claim "first".  Me?  I'd rather claim "best"- they can have their "first"

• Reply 35 of 57
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

and its learning your response style PER contact. This opens the door for predictive multi-language switching.

That blew my mind, man.

Great, now it’ll append “, man.” to every sentence I type to you.

• Reply 36 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    No, not in the same way.

It really doesn't matter either. Apple can recognize a good idea just as well as anyone else and they'd be silly to ignore one just because someone else thought of it first. Everyone borrows ideas from everyone else in addition to coming up with their own unique innovations. Heck Siri is going to mimic Google Now's always listening feature and use "Hey Siri " the same way Google Now uses "OK Google". Why? Because it's a good idea. Is there a better reason?
  • Reply 37 of 57
    wakefinancewakefinance Posts: 855member
    andysol wrote: »

You're describing exactly what the Google keyboard and other 3rd party keyboards have done for a while now. This shows a portion of the Google keyboard settings.700
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It really doesn't matter either. Apple can recognize a good idea just as well as anyone else and they'd be silly to ignore one just because someone else thought of it first. Everyone borrows ideas from everyone else in addition to coming up with their own unique innovations. Heck Siri is going to mimic Google Now's always listening feature and use "Hey Siri " the same way Google Now uses "OK Google". Why? Because it's a good idea. Is there a better reason?

Funny how when Apple does it, it's perfectly okay. But when Samsung does it, everyone is ready for war...

I agree with you, wholeheartedly. It helps the industry more forward. It's just really ironic.

• Reply 39 of 57
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

You're describing exactly what the Google keyboard and other 3rd party keyboards have done for a while now. This shows a portion of the Google keyboard settings.

Nope. Try again. That’s not what Apple implemented. They have CONTEXTUAL suggestions and PER-PERSON suggestions.

• Reply 40 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

The '172 patent you mention, and particularly claim 8 which is the one asserted against Samsung, is under review with the USPTO signaling serious doubts as to it's validity. That's going to take some time to sort out tho.