Apple announces HealthKit for holistic health tracking

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    fithian wrote: »
    Most manufacturers of medical devices and testing equipment are still tethered to the 1960's. Tell your doctor you would like some info sent to you and they will ask for your fax number. Same if you try to send something to them. There are a few doctors and hospitals that make your data available electronically, such as Johns Hopkins, and my family doctor.

I have a device that measures my glucose levels for my diabetes. It is manufacturer by One-Touch. It has a bluetooth connection to my iPhone so I can upload and download info. For data older than 30 days, I need to connect the device by usb to a Windoze computer. Go figure. It took two years after the initial announcement for this device to be offered for sale. This is glacial progress. Will it be another two years before I can access the info through Healthkit?

I guess due to government reviews and approval procedures these devices will continue to see glacial adoption rates, however Apple has now committed to offering device makers options that may be too big to ignore.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Apple really should have contacted HealthKit and/or spent the five seconds it would take to check and see if a company was already using that name.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27713242

• Reply 43 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    droidftw wrote: »
    Apple really should have contacted HealthKit and/or spent the five seconds it would take to check and see if a company was already using that name.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27713242

As previously discussed it doesn't matter since HealthKit isn't the product name, just a set of APIs that some developers will use. There is zero chance for confusion.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

As previously discussed it doesn't matter since HealthKit isn't the product name, just a set of APIs that some developers will use. There is zero chance for confusion.

I see, so it's okay to take an existing product name and use it how you want so long as people won't mistake one for the other.  I think I'll now go work on my iMac project that I've been creating.  I'm sure Apple won't mind me using the name iMac as there will be zero chance for confusing the two things.  And hey, if my project doesn't go over well then I'll also take comfort in knowing that Apple won't mind all the bad iMac reviews that would get written.

• Reply 45 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    droidftw wrote: »
    I see, so it's okay to take an existing product name and use it how you want so long as people won't mistake one for the other.  I think I'll now go work on my iMac project that I've been creating.  I'm sure Apple won't mind me using the name iMac as there will be zero chance for confusing the two things.  And hey, if my project doesn't go over well then I'll also take comfort in knowing that Apple won't mind all the bad iMac reviews that would get written.

If you want to use the name iMac for something that isn't related goods and service sthen go right ahead. Calling a group of APIs HealthKit is in the same ballpark as Apple calling their then unfinished Apple TV project iTV internally. Can you show me where iTV sued Apple to stop using that codename? Of course not, because the issue would only arise if Apple tried to release that product in the UK with that name, just as the issue would only arise for Apple if they tried to brand the customer-facing app or service HealthKit in the UK, or wherever else HealthKit had tried been given that trademark.