Apple introduces HomeKit framework for connected homes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

I can't really see the use of this -- though I know it will be super-useful to others.  Although, if I can get a new HDTV that has HomeKit connectivity, maybe I can.

"Siri, I'd like to watch a Blu-Ray movie now."

"OK, Aaron.  Turning on your TV and Blu-Ray player.  I'm also shutting down the lights and putting Cassie [my iPhone] on vibrate."

"Thanks Siri.  I love you."

"Aww, Aaron.  You shouldn't have."

Umm ... OK, forget those last two lines.

:)

• Reply 22 of 41
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

I can't count the number of times I walk up to my door, car fob in hand wishing I could just unlock the door from that. Would be nice for those hands full moments.

Ah crap...flat battery on my cell phone...now where did I hide that key again?

• Reply 23 of 41
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    This will take time.   Home Automation is 'hard'  Nest did a great job in 'learning' and overriding  learning.   But things like complex scenes (turn on and off lights inside and out as if we are in the house [aka vacation mode]) are complex for the average person to grok.   And the hard stuff (I want my irrigation system to "turn on at 4 in the morning on Tuesday if less than .5" rain fell in the last 7 days, and turning off once the 7 day water total reaches .75in [with a sanity loop to make sure I haven't sprung a massive leak, then turn off immediately], UNLESS the forecast is for greater than 40% chance of rain today or tomorrow., then delay one day.  Oh and if it's going to rain, please make sure my windows are closed.), is hard (wife says... just make it work.)
    The Apple way is to ask what types of plants you have and which zones, and get moisture and rainfall data.

Home automation is hard, until you give people an easy way to see logical modes of operation and build that into your life. Lighting control can be pretty simple in terms of UI, but it takes a lot of complexity behind the scenes to make it work well. You need to know the balance of mood and function, and respond to ambient conditions. It all needs to be integrated together, which doesn't work too well if your only source of light is a big light in the center of the room.

Was there any word on Sonos?
  • Reply 24 of 41
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    I bet a ton of "smart hubs" will start popping up soon. Similar to Revolv http://revolv.com
  • Reply 25 of 41
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member

HomeKit appears to  be a simple start but still has enough configurability to grow. 

You basically group your home into parts starting with the entire home, rooms and Zones   This way Siri can 

easily understand a command like "Turn off all lights downstairs". 

All this is kept in a database so each device will not need to be reprogrammed and is easily editable.   I suspect that HomeKit will 

grow as the market in general grows but it should be easy to get off the ground running and deliver some utility. 

• Reply 26 of 41
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Apple User: "Hey Siri, I'm ready for bed"

Lights dim, ac drops 2 degree, confirms doors are locked and garage door is closed.

Siri: "Sleep Tight"

Google User: "OK Google, I'm ready for bed"

Google: "We noticed you you spent extra time in the bathroom today, please pick up your Nexus to confirm order- we have searched Google Shopping for Pepto Bismol and added a bottle to your cart" 

More like: 

Siri: "I'm sorry, I don't know what 'I'm ready for fed' means" 

Apple User: "I'm ready for b-e-d"

Siri: "doing search for 'I'm ready for bed'"

I really can't believe with all these great features being added, the old ones (Siri / Maps) are not vastly improved!! What confidence do I have in the new, if the old continues to disappoint? 

• Reply 27 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

More like: 

Siri: "I'm sorry, I don't know what 'I'm ready for fed' means" 

Apple User: "I'm ready for b-e-d"

Siri: "doing search for 'I'm ready for bed'"

I really can't believe with all these great features being added, the old ones (Siri / Maps) are not vastly improved!! What confidence do I have in the new, if the old continues to disappoint? 

You know, Siri almost always (like well into the high 90% area) understands exactly what I am saying.  Maybe you need some diction classes or something.

And they said that Siri had been improved.  Why not wait and see before you criticize?

• Reply 28 of 41
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

We will eventually see a wearable from Apple, but after today, its usefulness and existence kis that much more tangible and clear- simply because of such frameworks like homekit and healthkit. 

Are you thinking that an iWatch could be a controller for home automation, or how do you envision wearables contributing to the usefulness of the new frameworks?

I haven't been able to think of any reason I'd want an iWatch, but this could be one. If, instead of picking up my phone and opening an app, I could just talk to my wrist to unlock the door or turn on the light, that would be really handy. Or "wristy."

• Reply 29 of 41

Well, I'm one who hopes Nest will support this. We have five Nest thermostats throughout our home.

Put it this way -- if Nest doesn't support this, or if they support it only half-assedly, somebody on eBay will get a great deal on five Nests. Not because they aren't great machines, but because of what it would say about the company post-Google.

That said, I'm confident they will support it, and well. It's the Android people I feel sorry for, when their "Google Home" is hacked.

• Reply 30 of 41
    taekattaekat Posts: 7member
    I am hoping for an open system that any device can connect. Hopefully some standard is made that will allow devices to be controlled from a simple web browser.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TenThousandThings View Post

Well, I'm one who hopes Nest will support this. We have five Nest thermostats throughout our home.

Put it this way -- if Nest doesn't support this, or if they support it only half-assedly, somebody on eBay will get a great deal on five Nests. Not because they aren't great machines, but because of what it would say about the company post-Google.

That said, I'm confident they will support it, and well. It's the Android people I feel sorry for, when their "Google Home" is hacked.

5 Thermostats?????  That's not a home...that is a Castle.  :D

• Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

5 Thermostats?????  That's not a home...that is a Castle.  :D

Yeah, we went a little crazy with breaking the house up into zones for heating… Two of them are just one room each -- a guest bathroom and a guest bedroom that currently has an 89-year old living in it. But we saved 20% in fuel costs the first year -- most of that is from switching an 1880 farmhouse over from forced-air to radiant heat (under the floors), but I'd like to think some of it is from the zones.

• Reply 33 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TenThousandThings View Post

Yeah, we went a little crazy with breaking the house up into zones for heating… Two of them are just one room each -- a guest bathroom and a guest bedroom that currently has an 89-year old living in it. But we saved 20% in fuel costs the first year -- most of that is from switching an 1880 farmhouse over from forced-air to radiant heat (under the floors), but I'd like to think some of it is from the zones.

Very impressive.   It's difficult to retrofit a near 90 year old house with modern HVAC but I love the sounds of more control for rooms and the radiant heating is something I'm looking to do.  Who'd you go through for the Radiant Heating?   I'm keeping an eye on www.warmboard.com but it'll be years before we actually make that move. 

• Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It's difficult to retrofit a near 90 year old house with modern HVAC but I love the sounds of more control for rooms and the radiant heating is something I'm looking to do.  Who'd you go through for the Radiant Heating?   I'm keeping an eye on www.warmboard.com but it'll be years before we actually make that move. 

We used Uponor "Joist Trak" heat transfer panels under the original floors, with Uponor's system of tubing and connectors -- http://www.uponorpro.com

My brother (a skilled contractor) and I did the work, and we ordered the materials online, but you do need some specialized tools. We had access because the downstairs ceilings had to be pulled down (two layers of sheetrock on top of 1x3 and the original plaster and lathe -- we gained about 3 inches in ceiling height in the process).

The only real surprise was the panels do expand and contract, producing popping noises like radiators do, especially when you insulate them like we did. If I could do it again, I probably wouldn't use the reflective insulation under the second floor like we did -- I'd only use it in the basement where it really matters.

Warmboard wasn't an option for us, but it is a great product, and they don't mind working with DIY projects. We will probably use it under our kitchen (which is not original, but a later addition), if we ever get around to that.

• Reply 35 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

You know, Siri almost always (like well into the high 90% area) understands exactly what I am saying.  Maybe you need some diction classes or something.

And they said that Siri had been improved.  Why not wait and see before you criticize?

Oh my gosh! you are so right. Just because YOU don't have an issue with something, everyone that does, it is their own fault. What brilliance! 

If Siri was so good, why did they have to improve it? More so, why are there countless jokes out there about Siri messing up what people say? [my fav below] 

If they improved it so much, why were there no highlights on these improvements? 

Quote:

Mom texts her son using Siri and says 'If you and Jen are hungry, why don't you come over and join your father and I?' hoping to have them over for dinner. 

Mom was curious as the son did not reply back for a while. When he did, the reply was 'Really Mom?' 

The mom then read what Siri typed 'If you and Jen are horney, why don't you come over and join your father and I?' 

• Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:

Oh my gosh! you are so right. Just because YOU don't have an issue with something, everyone that does, it is their own fault. What brilliance! 

If Siri was so good, why did they have to improve it? More so, why are there countless jokes out there about Siri messing up what people say? [my fav below] 

If they improved it so much, why were there no highlights on these improvements? 

Personally I am convinced that Siri works for most people.  But negative opinions are always going to be loudest, since people with no problems rarely have a reason to post in the first place.

And just because something is a really good product doesn't mean that a company shouldn't work to improve it.  Working to improve products should be an on-going, constant pursuit, no matter how good one believes a particular product to be.

• Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:

Personally I am convinced that Siri works for most people.  But negative opinions are always going to be loudest, since people with no problems rarely have a reason to post in the first place.

And just because something is a really good product doesn't mean that a company shouldn't work to improve it.  Working to improve products should be an on-going, constant pursuit, no matter how good one believes a particular product to be.

Convinced you shall be, proof you have not. I don't know but one personally that Siri works well for, and most don't even use it due to that fact. I understand I know of only 20 people personally that I have talked to about this, but with only 1 saying it works, that can't be good. 

I bet you think Maps and Touch ID worked for most people before fixes? Touch ID is now 100% for me after the second fix, while Maps is now a feature issue vs. functionality.  My point is that Siri has a LONG way to go before becoming a 'personal assistant'. 

• Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:

Convinced you shall be, proof you have not. I don't know but one personally that Siri works well for, and most don't even use it due to that fact. I understand I know of only 20 people personally that I have talked to about this, but with only 1 saying it works, that can't be good. 

I bet you think Maps and Touch ID worked for most people before fixes? Touch ID is now 100% for me after the second fix, while Maps is now a feature issue vs. functionality.  My point is that Siri has a LONG way to go before becoming a 'personal assistant'. 

I don't use Maps, so it's not something on which I can comment.  But no, I never had any trouble with Touch ID.  Worked out of the box for me.

• Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:

I don't use Maps, so it's not something on which I can comment.  But no, I never had any trouble with Touch ID.  Worked out of the box for me.

You must have been one that could not understand all those complaints about accelerators sticking in vehicles because when you drove your's off the lot, it worked just fine! 

• Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:

You must have been one that could not understand all those complaints about accelerators sticking in vehicles because when you drove your's off the lot, it worked just fine! 

Never said that.