Apple's WWDC 2014 keynote video now streaming as OS X 10.10 Yosemite, iOS 8 betas seeded

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I still am a little surprised there was zero new hardware, at all. Not even a silent Intel update for the MBP or MBA? Or minor revision to Apple TV? Nothing?

Will be a busy fall I guess...

They dont need to coordinate those updates with the event. They can happen anytime. 

MBA was just updated. MBP needs no update. The next Apple TV update will most probably be a major one. They're just coasting with the one they have now. 

Also, they basically sprinted through stuff and it lasted 2 hrs. I don't see what hardware they could have announced that wouldn't be better off launching with new software anyway. 

• Reply 22 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

They dont need to coordinate those updates with the event. They can happen anytime. 

Also, they basically sprinted through stuff and it lasted 2 hrs. I don't see what hardware they could have announced that wouldn't be better off launching with new software anyway. 

I agree actually, but historically the last few years 'we' get something. Not saying they had to announce anything, just interesting they didn't. It could be a new tick-tock cycle; software in Spring, hardware in Fall. 

• Reply 23 of 40
    Anyone know when the iTunes HD version usually comes out? I want to watch it again with a friend tonight, but would rather watch the HD version.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member

I found the iOS stuff a lot more impressive than the OS X changes, but it's pretty hard to judge the scale and impact of UI changes from tiny screenshots on a liveblog so I'm going to reserve judgement for now.

• Reply 25 of 40
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not even a silent Intel update for the MBP or MBA?

The former has no chips and the latter was updated four weeks ago.

HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS, as I haven’t seem them elsewhere.

That’s just great. My old media server iMac, stuck on Lion, while the model immediately after it got Mountain Lion, Mavericks, and now Yosemite. :p

And on the iOS side, I was amazed to see that iOS 8 supports iPad 2! I really didn't expect that. When it comes to comparing Apple and Android with regards to support, Apple is killing it. Not that they weren't already, but now the chasm has become an ocean.

• Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:

Quote:

I still am a little surprised there was zero new hardware, at all. Not even a silent Intel update for the MBP or MBA? Or minor revision to Apple TV? Nothing?

Will be a busy fall I guess...

MBA was just updated. MBP needs no update. The next Apple TV update will most probably be a major one. They're just coasting with the one they have now. 

I would love to see a list of all the new APIs!

• Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

Anyone know when the iTunes HD version usually comes out? I want to watch it again with a friend tonight, but would rather watch the HD version.

Not out yet as a podcast, but the SD one is.

• Reply 28 of 40
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

OK, is going to make me sound like a complete idiot, but what else is new?

They said they would make the Yosemite beta available to everyone (non-developers) at some point this summer.  Since I've never been a developer, I don't quite know how this works.  Can you install the beta alongside your regular (in this case Mavericks) system and dual boot?  Do you need to -- or can you -- boot it off a USB?

I am just interested in messing around with it once it becomes available.  But I have no clue what I'm doing. :)

TIA

• Reply 29 of 40
    vorst wrote: »
    What an incredible Keynote. If somebody says it is underwelming, doesn't know anything about development and what it means for the future. Even the OSX 10.10 and iOS8 features they introduced are spot on useful. Now they even introduce beta versions in the summer for the public to use. I never have been so excited about the new stuff to try them out, even before the official release.

I totally agree! The part I find most exciting is knowing that what they announced today is putting things in place for an equally amazing next advancement next year. Also, what Apple announced today is to accommodate new devices not yet announced. It's all so thought out!

The new software for gaming will kill android devices for gaming... it's going to threaten console games as well.

Finally, having OSX and iOS share files so seamlessly is the cherry on top the sundae. I'm sure I will enjoy a lot of the OSX additions as I understand how they will benefit me better, but for now, I'm whelmed to the max.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    aaronj wrote: »
    OK, is going to make me sound like a complete idiot, but what else is new?

They said they would make the Yosemite beta available to everyone (non-developers) at some point this summer.  Since I've never been a developer, I don't quite know how this works.  Can you install the beta alongside your regular (in this case Mavericks) system and dual boot?  Do you need to -- or can you -- boot it off a USB?

I am just interested in messing around with it once it becomes available.  But I have no clue what I'm doing. :)

Not trying to be mean, but you would be best off waiting for the release version. An OS this powerful in your hands... you could take out a neighborhood and not know how you did it.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Not trying to be mean, but you would be best off waiting for the release version. An OS this powerful in your hands... you could take out a neighborhood and not know how you did it.

You're not being mean.  It's just that I've been running OSX since, let's see, Jaguar.  I just never was in this situation.  It's not a big deal.  I can wait.

• Reply 32 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Check out this CNBC video. Walt Mossberg was great! Some clown was going on about how this was the most boring WWDC ever because it was all about software and no new hardware was announced. Walt Mossberg was not amused to say the least. :D

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000280705

It's really annoying listening to all these Wall Street clowns moan because no hardware was announced. They have this incredibly narrow view of Apple as just a gadget maker and if Apple doesn't come out with some shiny new gadget it's doomed. At the same time, if they had any brains they'd know that Apple was setting themselves up for plenty of hardware this fall.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

These are very solid releases. My faith is completely restored.

I was worried, especially with the out-of-character Beats purchase, but they did pretty much everything I've ever wanted them to do.

Now I have to come up with entirely new things to whine about.

• Reply 34 of 40
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    apple ][ wrote: »

The only minor criticism I have is when they called Dr. Dre. The rapper was grumpy and sounded like he'd rather be doing something else. He should lighten up a bit and be more cheerful. He sounded about as enthusiastic as somebody attending a funeral would be.

Probably because he'd been reading your posts, along with Rogifan's and pazuzu's, etc. And in case you think that's a stretch, you should recall how Steve got so depressed over the reception given the iPad in the press and the blogosphere.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    I agree actually, but historically the last few years 'we' get something. Not saying they had to announce anything, just interesting they didn't. It could be a new tick-tock cycle; software in Spring, hardware in Fall. 

It's not a bad plan, if true; Apple could show off the new hardware running the latest new software that has already taken advantage of the new APIs and Swift language.

There's nothing worse then hitting the market with hardware that is unsupported with 3rd party software, a la the Surface RT, while Apple's iOS has enjoyed excellent support from every corner.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    apple ][ wrote: »
    The only minor criticism I have is when they called Dr. Dre. The rapper was grumpy and sounded like he'd rather be doing something else. He should lighten up a bit and be more cheerful. He sounded about as enthusiastic as somebody attending a funeral would be.

Dr Dre was probably trying to posture up and sound bad ass, not knowing all us white boys couldn't care a dry dog turd about that gangsta crapola.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poke View Post

These are very solid releases. My faith is completely restored.

I was worried, especially with the out-of-character Beats purchase, but they did pretty much everything I've ever wanted them to do.

Now I have to come up with entirely new things to whine about.

My thoughts exactly. I literally tried coming up with something to complain about but couldn't. They exceeded my wildest expectations and then some when it comes to OSX/iOS, and future technologies and integrations. I don't remember being so satisfied with a keynote in years. Never been more confident in Apple and their leadership team. Seems they have more drive, direction, and talent than ever before. The way they keep driving the underlying tech of their platform forward shows how serious about the big picture and the future they really are. Swift/Metal/SceneKit/CloudKit/HealthKit/Continuity/extensibility/iCloud Drive are absolutely huge. 

• Reply 38 of 40
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Dr Dre was probably trying to posture up and sound bad ass, not knowing all us white boys couldn't care a dry dog turd about that gangsta crapola.

Well, all two of you white boys anyway.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member

I wonder what version of OS X will bring a useable version of Quicktime X?

• Reply 40 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

I wonder what version of OS X will bring a useable version of Quicktime X?