Apple posts WWDC 2014 keynote to YouTube

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2014
After making the two-hour keynote to this year's Worldwide Developers Conference available on its own website, Apple on Tuesday uploaded a high resolution version of the video to YouTube.

As part of its presentation of the next-generation operating systems OS X 10.10 Yosemite and iOS 8, Apple unveiled a slew of new features and surprise projects at WWDC 2014 including HealthKit, HomeKit, 4,000 iOS APIs and a new coding language in Swift, just to name a few.

The video featuring CEO Tim Cook, as well as some 80 minutes' worth of SVP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi, is now up on Apple's official YouTube channel. Unlike its own hosted version, the YouTube video is available in resolutions up to 720p.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member

Also known as the "Tim Cook Drops The Mic" conference.

• Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Also known as the "Tim Cook Drops The Mic" conference.

Classy. /s

• Reply 3 of 12
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Good now I can watch the first 10 minutes I missed
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

It'd be great to break down the youtube video in bite sized components of no longer than 10 minutes. It would make it more shareable and accessible for non Apple fans.

Perhaps have the video broken down per feature.

The hair snippet of Craig Federighi is going to be a youtube hit :D

• Reply 5 of 12
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Craig Federighi is a damn good presenter, he basically dominated the WWDC 2014 Keynote.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Yeah, it was almost a one man show. Loled when he made the "endurance test" crack.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    simtub wrote: »
    Craig Federighi is a damn good presenter, he basically dominated the WWDC 2014 Keynote.

Yupp. He's awesome :D
  • Reply 8 of 12
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Yeah, it was almost a one man show. Loled when he made the "endurance test" crack.

I am really happy to see this.  But this is basically Software Engineering event - WWDC. He should talk.  But he is becoming really more and more prominent, though.  

But, I missed Phil - hoping to see him in next hardware event.  And, I missed Jony Ive's video describing how he crafted the OS X icons etc. etc. :)... which starts.. "There is a profound....:" :D :D 

• Reply 9 of 12
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Two hours spent watching a small low-res version when a full screen HD one was already posted (or being posted)...  ...I'll check next time if this is gonna be a habit....

• Reply 10 of 12
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

This isn't really on topic, but I haven't seen it mentioned in any other story here: where's the love for Family Sharing?

"On June 2, 2014, Apple introduced significant new features, including Family Sharing. Family Sharing allows up to six family members of a single Family to browse and access each other's iTunes, iBooks, and App Store purchases and share photos, a family calendar, and their locations. Family Sharing supports parental controls and also allows parents to approve purchases and downloads initiated by children in their Family." (From an email sent to developers today to update their app permissions to allow this.)

This is exactly what I (and no doubt many others) have been asking for: a way to unlock my family from my person Apple account without forcing us to repurchase all our apps and music.  Today, my family of 4 has 6-8 iOS devices in active use.  Every one of them uses my Apple account even though most of the devices aren't shared (e.g., my wife's iPhone; my daughter's iPod touch).  So when my kid downloads a game or buys a song, all the devices get it automatically installed (except that my wife turned this off--which means her iPhone and iPad are not in sync).

Now I'll be able to set up my kids and wife with their own accounts and things like FaceTime and photo streams will work as they were intended.  And if one of them buys an app or song that I want, I can install it for free.  Thank you Apple!

It was only as I was writing this did I notice that movies aren't mentioned.  I hope that that's an oversight, but I suppose it's possible that the licensing caused a snag on that front.

• Reply 11 of 12
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member

Just download the HD video podcast from iTunes.  If you don't want the HD version, download the SD podcast.  They have been on iTunes since 2007.

• Reply 12 of 12
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Now I'll be able to set up my kids and wife with their own accounts.

The restriction is the AppleIDs must all use the same credit card.  So if the apps and music are shared amongst the AppleIDs, I don't see how much different it is when having family members use the same ID when they live in the same household.  If they grow up and move out of the house and switch their AppleID to their own credit card (or other payment method), do all those previous app purchases stop working for that particular AppleID?