Rumor: 'iWatch' to sport curved OLED touchscreen, Apple 'confident' and building up to 5M per month

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    schlack wrote: »
    excited to see what they release.

but...i would rather wear a sensor laden arm band that's flexible and light and out of sight that pushes biometrics to my iphone than a watch that's heavy, visible, and seeks to get my attention by pushing info from my phone to me.

wish apple would work on this instead.

I think that is much closer to a winning product over something that tries to duplicate what a smartphone can do, like current smartwatches.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    AppleInsider needs to stop using those fake fantasy product illustrations. They're always ludicrous. You don't know what they look like.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    AppleInsider needs to stop using those fake fantasy product illustrations. They're always ludicrous. You don't know what they look like.

I don't mind AI or anyone else using mockups but these simply aren't good. A perfectly round bracelet that then requires you to slide your finger over it to use makes zero sense. I think AI could help their traffic by paying someone(s) to make a variety of mockups that would be owned by AI with their watermark.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    If they can track calorie consumption on a wrist, that will be a MAJOR technical achievement. Almost so major that I think this rumor can't be true. I would love to be surprised though.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    I think the health stuff is great but I want my watch to do other stuff also like
    Messaging
    Compass
    iPod
    Apps
    Recorder camera
    GPS
    Maps
    Etc

Also if this is a health device what about the effects of electromagnetic radiation on the wearer?

My doc already says to take my iPhone out of my pocket and move my alarm clock away from my head.

Finally lol to end my monologue

I hope Apples watch team is carefully using the Pebble, Gear watch and Nike's two main watches, to see what works (no repeat of iTunes Radio?)

(Not sure that story on iTunes Radio is even true but still ...)
  • Reply 26 of 45
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

My doc already says to take my iPhone out of my pocket and move my alarm clock away from my head.

Does s/he say why?

• Reply 27 of 45
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

You should consider getting a real doctor...

• Reply 28 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jungmark wrote: »
    So a rumored product has rumored components, a rumored volume manu rate and a rumored release date.
    Analysts thinks it's rumored to be more successful than the iPad? Yea, right.

It's Apple's best-selling rumor ever!
  • Reply 29 of 45
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I wonder how the watch band will connect to the actual watch part. Will this just be one seamless type piece or can you disconnect the watch part and therefore allow possible third parties to make bands. I am sure there would be a thriving market for bands in all shapes, sizes, colors, and materials if it can be detached.

I also wonder how adjustable and comfortable the band will be. I have a Breitling watch and it slips and slides a bit on my wrist. And since the watch part is very big and heavy I find myself adjusting it frequently. The problem with taking the band down a notch is that made it uncomfortably tight. Maybe Apple will have a design on size adjustment for the band that allows people to really get a comfortable fit that is tight enough not to slip and slide but not so tight as to pinch. 

I would say this rumor is very likely to be true. I remember Apple acquiring iWatch patents all over the world with that shell company a long time back. It also just makes perfect sense as their next product category. This will be yet another affordable, entry type product like the iPod touch to help lock people into the iOS ecosystem. 

• Reply 30 of 45
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElFig2012 View Post

Can AppleInsider please stick to FACTS please, otherwise what's the point ?

this is a NEWS site, not a best-guess rumor site.

The "Future Apple Hardware" section of the forum is traditionally the place to discuss rumors. The difference is that in the past there were some credible sources, the rumors were actual leaks and the discussions were much more interesting. Remember Think Secret? They had inside info that was often picked up here igniting densely crowded long discussions. Those days are over after Apple shutting down TS and plugging leaking holes, but the focus of this section has not changed because Apple never reveals its plans. Therefore future hardware discussions are closely tied to rumors circulating the web.

• Reply 31 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElFig2012 View Post

Can AppleInsider please stick to FACTS please, otherwise what's the point ?

this is a NEWS site, not a best-guess rumor site.

You are mistaken.  As clearly stated on the home page titlebar:

"AppleInsider | News and rumors since 1997"

AI is doing a great job.  I love their cheerleading!  

I do wish, however, that AI would not confound the two, such as in the title vs. content of this story.  :)

• Reply 32 of 45
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) I don't understand the use of "curved OLED" in the title and "flexible OLED" in the body. I hope AI isn't interchanging this terms as if they are mean the same thing.

2) I don't know how believable this rumour is but I've been saying that OLED is probably the best way to go with the iWatch concept because the display can be almost entire black to conserve power while also showing data on screen, like a simple and elegant watch face or text, and because the black will be very deep, not just a near-black dark-grey, thereby helping it look more jewelry-like.
    Agreed the two shouldn't be confused. You can use flexible oled displays without it actually being curved. Though if it is indeed curved that could mean it won't be a round dial. A round watch doesn't necessarily need a curve and would I suspect give a rather weird convex effect. If curved I suspect it being curved in order to have a better fit for a rectangular or square face.

Yep, oled is definitely the way to go. Not only does it not use a backlight it also allows for individual pixels to be turned on while the others are completely off. The Moto X's Active Display uses this, and is rumored to be included in the Moto 360 as well.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    512ke wrote: »
    I think the health stuff is great but I want my watch to do other stuff also like
    Messaging
    Compass
    iPod
    Apps
    Recorder camera
    GPS
    Maps
    Etc

And include a cutting laser and a strong magnetic field, just in case of Bond villains.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    shenshen Posts: 434member

Can I drive my Tesla from the watch controls yet?

• Reply 35 of 45
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Does the strap have a deployment buckle?
  • Reply 36 of 45
    roxtar40roxtar40 Posts: 19member

A wearable device is more of a subjective "thing" than a phone. All phones are generally flat, rectangular, and remain in your pocket until needed. A watch, much more visible, is even more prone to aesthetic likes and dislikes. As much as an Apple fan as I am, if the iWatch turns out to be a glorified Fuelband or a techy bracelet like all the concept pics, it won't fit my personal tastes. I would prefer something elegant, classy, not over-the-top geeky but still fully integrated with the Apple ecosystem. I don't want to talk to it (I rarely use Siri currently because in my work env pulling up an app less obnoxious than talking to my phone during a meeting). I also am not convinced that wearable tech is the next wave; at least not the first generation. Wearing it on my wrist is only slightly more convenient that having it in my pocket. 

• Reply 37 of 45
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    For me to preorder iWatch on day 1, I would like:

1. Health sensors to replace the likes of Fitbit and FuelBand (and hopefully more extensive set of sensors).
    2. Good battery life, at least 3 days.
    3. Wireless charging.
    4. Hands-free Siri.
    5. Notification Center.
    6. Vibration motor so that I don't miss important calls or notifications.
    7. Can double as a remote control for Apple TV.
    8. 8-16GB storage so that it can double as iPod nano.
    9. Can remotely trigger iPhone/iPad to take a picture (I don't need iWatch to have a camera of its own).

My dream feature is an LTE modem like iPad, ideally with T-Mobile's free plan, to receive important notifications when I am not carrying iPhone with me.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    gwmac wrote: »
    I wonder how the watch band will connect to the actual watch part. Will this just be one seamless type piece or can you disconnect the watch part and therefore allow possible third parties to make bands. I am sure there would be a thriving market for bands in all shapes, sizes, colors, and materials if it can be detached.

I also wonder how adjustable and comfortable the band will be. I have a Breitling watch and it slips and slides a bit on my wrist. And since the watch part is very big and heavy I find myself adjusting it frequently. The problem with taking the band down a notch is that made it uncomfortably tight. Maybe Apple will have a design on size adjustment for the band that allows people to really get a comfortable fit that is tight enough not to slip and slide but not so tight as to pinch. 

I would say this rumor is very likely to be true. I remember Apple acquiring iWatch patents all over the world with that shell company a long time back. It also just makes perfect sense as their next product category. This will be yet another affordable, entry type product like the iPod touch to help lock people into the iOS ecosystem. 
    You're stating the obvious.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    filburt wrote: »
    For me to preorder iWatch on day 1, I would like:

1. Health sensors to replace the likes of Fitbit and FuelBand (and hopefully more extensive set of sensors).
    2. Good battery life, at least 3 days.
    3. Wireless charging.
    4. Hands-free Siri.
    5. Notification Center.
    6. Vibration motor so that I don't miss important calls or notifications.
    7. Can double as a remote control for Apple TV.
    8. 8-16GB storage so that it can double as iPod nano.
    9. Can remotely trigger iPhone/iPad to take a picture (I don't need iWatch to have a camera of its own).

My dream feature is an LTE modem like iPad, ideally with T-Mobile's free plan, to receive important notifications when I am not carrying iPhone with me.

No date and time? Let me guess: Who needs a watch to tell you the time when your phone has the time?
  • Reply 40 of 45
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Bingo you are right.