Apple's new iCloud storage plans: Cheap for consumers, even cheaper for developers

1246710

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 187
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I agree that with regards to web-based services, Apple needs to step up their game so that a majority of users aren't left wanting to use alternative services because of key features. iCloud services should be that good on their own merits, rather than relying solely on "it's conveniently integrated with Apple hardware" as the primary reason for choosing Apple's services.

    I would like to see iCloud services being offered to everyone, regardless if they own a Mac or not. I'm actually a very big fan of web apps and fully believe it is the future. I know I will get critism for this but I have a ChromeBox in my bedroom connected to the TV. It's my bedroom entertainment system, I have 100's of ripped BlueRays available through Google Drive and OneDrive, which doesn't require a download to watch them as Google Drive and OneDrive offer direct streaming from their web interfaces. Even going so far as converting videos that have incompatible codecs on the fly. I play my music using Spotify, watch TV with Zattoo in which every Swiss Channel is available in HD and it even looks better than my cable. I can look at all of my photos using OneDrives unbelievablly awesome photoviewer, as every time I take a picture with my Nokia 1020 the photo or video is automatically backed up to it, as well as the RAW photos. The list of great web apps are now in the hundreds if not thousands. Say what you will about Google but they have a very large leap over Apple in this area, one way the Apple can convert Google users is by offering their services to them. I would also love to see an Apple ChromeBook equivalent, which I don't think I have to wait to long.
  • Reply 62 of 187
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    hitchhyker wrote: »
    Apple has lost its way and is no longer leading but is now like Ford, let others come up ideas and then improves it.

    I am a very long standing Apple User from the IIE but feel we no longer matter, Apple knows best, well it does not and certainly ignores many issues raised by its users.

    I'm also a long Apple user (the IIci was my first Mac) and I've never seen them listen to their customers more than they are now.

    As for the Ford comparison.. Idk, are you smoking something we should know about?
  • Reply 63 of 187
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post



    This will finally solve my photo library problems, and for that I will purchase at least 200GB. Dropbox is (truly) great, but can't handle iPhoto libraries, which means I can't keep my desktop, laptop (let alone iOS devices) synced (and thus back-ups all need to be looked after). I may keep DropBox (but just reduced from 200GB to 100GB), since I use it to share with some "non Mac" friends. As far as I'm concerned the new iCloud implementation can't come quickly enough.

    I run iPhoto library in my dropbox with 3 computers attached.  I've had no issues.  Can you let me know what problems you've had?

  • Reply 64 of 187
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post





    I hope you realize that ANY company would have to comply with a court order to provide your information to an "alphabet soup" government agency upon request. Dropbox is not unique in that respect.

     

    Not every company is eager to add PURE EVIL like Condoleeza Rice, who lied and orchestrated a war that killed millions of people, to their board of directors. And Apple has started fighting all these warrantless search orders in court. And how many times has Dropbox management lied about security and break-ins? Too many to count.

  • Reply 65 of 187

    The service we get from both companies in the UK is not what you get in the USA.  A now retired Ford employee of 50 years.

  • Reply 66 of 187
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    relic wrote: »
    I would like to see iCloud services being offered to everyone, regardless if they own a Mac or not.

    iCloud is offered to anyone without a Mac (or iOS-based device, which you oddly omit). What Apple doesn't do is build a shitload of services for Android, BB OS, WinPh, Titzen, Windows, desktop Linux distros or any other OS which you're nuts to suggest they should do when they don't offer advertising which would make these a loss for the company in every conceivable way.

    And while that idea is crazy, it's not as crazy as you saying Apple should give you a Lightning to Micro-USB adapter so you can power an external HDD from some other vendor.
  • Reply 67 of 187
    smallwheelssmallwheels Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post



    This will finally solve my photo library problems, and for that I will purchase at least 200GB. Dropbox is (truly) great, but can't handle iPhoto libraries, which means I can't keep my desktop, laptop (let alone iOS devices) synced (and thus back-ups all need to be looked after). I may keep DropBox (but just reduced from 200GB to 100GB), since I use it to share with some "non Mac" friends. As far as I'm concerned the new iCloud implementation can't come quickly enough.

    Yahoo's Flickr will give you 1000 Gigabytes of FREE photo and video storage. Yep!

     

    The predominant data usage for me is images. I would guess that I have about twenty gigabytes of text files. I've got at least sixty gigabytes of movies and TV shows, very few of which I really want to keep permanently. If I were a professional photographer or movie maker I could understand why so much storage would be needed. My little one man marketing business requires images for products but they don't need to be kept forever. The text documents may be numerous but text files don't take up much space. My total storage for three computers and external hard drives is less than 375 GB. With a bit of work I could pare that down to under 75 GB if I got rid of things that aren't necessary for work and only kept family photos. 

     

    Are computer storage devices the new "Storage Units" for data the way people who keep too much crap must rent storage units away from their homes? 

  • Reply 68 of 187
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,666member

    My big wish is to be able to use iCloud Mail with my own domain (s). I 'd gladly pay extra for that.

  • Reply 69 of 187
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    paxman wrote: »
    My big wish is to be able to use iCloud Mail with my own domain (s). I 'd gladly pay extra for that.

    I use Google Apps for Business for that. Personally, I wouldn't even consider using iCloud for that until they can make they server-side spam filter better. It's much better than .Mac and MobileMe days but it still has a long way to go before being Gmail class. Also, Apple's server-side mail settings offer so few features that are available with Google's service. IOW, I would hope Apple would resolve this longtime issues before working on a business-focused solution.
  • Reply 70 of 187
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post



    Hopefully apple won't abandon this and us like they did with mac.com and me.com, both of which I put plenty of money into. I really missed my gallery for sharing photos and videos with family.

     

    You can create beautiful galleries for sharing with iCloud Photo Streams, and they're free!

  • Reply 71 of 187
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post





    Still too expensive. Apple has billions of dollars in the bank, everyone should get 1TB for free. And iPhone and iPad costs should be cut in half. Plus if you buy two iPhones or iPads you should get a free one. Apple can afford it

    For every purchase (of anything, including iTunes) you make directly from Apple, you should get 1 point. After 12 points you get one free share of AAPL.


     

    So you buy twelve tracks in iTunes for $12 and Apple gives you one share worth $92? Apple aren't Amazon, you know!

  • Reply 72 of 187
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

     

    It's early for me and I've only had one cup of coffee, so I might be wrong, but the article has Google Drive at this:  "That same $100 per year would buy twice the space -- 100 gigabytes -- from Dropbox or Box.com and a whopping 10 terabytes from Google Drive". .... but the graph says this :  1TB for 119.88. Coloured me confused.  :\ 


     

    You look yellowy-green to me.

  • Reply 73 of 187
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hitchhyker View Post



    Will we have the normal teething issues whilst Apple Users do Apples research and development for nothing. Apples track record indicates we will be abandoned in 18 months time when a revised scheme breaks.



    Apple has lost its way and is no longer leading but is now like Ford, let others come up ideas and then improves it.



    I am a very long standing Apple User from the IIE but feel we no longer matter, Apple knows best, well it does not and certainly ignores many issues raised by its users.

     

    Love how entitled, whiny, agenda-driven trolls like you will hang a noose around Apple's head forever for the fact that they decided to revamp .mac to iCloud, which is now infinitely better than .mac could ever have been. Apple's "research and development for nothing"? How the **** do you figure? Companies like Google launch and drop products everyday.

     

    You're an incredibly silly, petty person if you think there's any chance at all that Apple will "drop" iCloud, which is now deeply engrained in pretty much every single device and app they have. You seem unable to grasp the fact that in the technology industry, you sometimes need to go and completely restructure something to make it better. MobileMe was always a mess, iCloud is a transition that needed to happen, and Apple has done nothing but continue to expand, invest in, and improve the ultra-ambitious service since it launched. You're so blinded by your irrational rage that you want to pretend that Apple will just suddenly drop iCloud someday, and make every single one of their devices useless - because they had to audacity to rebuild their cloud services several years ago out of necessity. Are you really pining for the days of MobileMe, and butthurt by the fact that its gone? Amazing. 

     

    By the way, SJ is the one behind the iCloud transition, he's the one that launched it, so the "Apple has lost it's way" comment from you is hilarious. There's not a SHRED of evidence Apple will "abandon" in 18 months, as you childishly fantasize- Apple has done nothing but build on iCloud and integrate it even deeper into every single aspect of their business. You'd have to be insane to think thats the case. Also, in contrast to your assertion, this past WWDC has shown in no uncertain terms that Apple listens to feedback, and are always willing to change and revise their policies. But I guess you're hateful because Apple won't come to your fucking house and ask YOU how to run their company. "Apple has lost its way"- which is why this past WWDC was considered by developers and observers as the best in their history? Which "way" should Apple be heading? You have no clue- but those words are easy to spout by unimaginative, intellectually lazy people who haven't created a thing in their lives. And comparing Apple to Ford is such a  odd statement, as Ford has made a massive comeback the last few years after being on the verge of bankruptcy. What a silly, sad little troll you are. 

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post





    But you couldn't share with everyone with any browser like before and that was the big loss for me. Everyone I know doesn't have a mac to the newest is so it didn't work well. The gallery was a web page which worked for all.

     

    Because whining and bitching on a message-board is way easier than the ONE CLICK it takes to turn a photo-stream into a public website accessible from anywhere. Amazing.  


     

    Great riposte! I think you and SolipsismX should challenge each other to write a post each in the style of the other, just for laughs. I don't think either of you could manage it. 

  • Reply 74 of 187
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

     

    Quite a bargain, yes?

     

    Sorry. I thought the /s was assumed (along the lines of charlituna's response to melgross in that Apple has so much money, everything should be dirt cheap and practically given away!)


     

    You know, it's getting VERY difficult to tell what is /s and what is not /s anymore (not that it was easy before, really).

     

    I was going to say that with the purchase of every new iPhone you should get 1TB of storage and a new iMac.  Then I was worried that people would think that I was serious. :)


     

    Your post made me laugh out loud! I also was thrown by ChrisCA's post - I thought he was being serious.

     

    You should have posted your idea without the /s tag, just to see how people would have reacted! I'm enjoying it too much - I can see why people love trolling; I think some of them do it just because they enjoy the outraged reactions.

  • Reply 75 of 187
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

     

    Quite a bargain, yes?

     

    Sorry. I thought the /s was assumed (along the lines of charlituna's response to melgross in that Apple has so much money, everything should be dirt cheap and practically given away!)


     

    You know, it's getting VERY difficult to tell what is /s and what is not /s anymore (not that it was easy before, really).

     

    I was going to say that with the purchase of every new iPhone you should get 1TB of storage and a new iMac.  Then I was worried that people would think that I was serious. :)


     

    Well yes, to offer a new iMac with every new iPhone would be absurd. But being serious: I think Apple should offer every iPad Mini buyer a new Mac Pro, and every iPad Air buyer a Mac Pro with 4K Thunderbolt Display.

  • Reply 76 of 187
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    iCloud is offered to anyone without a Mac (or iOS-based device, which you oddly omit). What Apple doesn't do is build a shitload of services for Android, BB OS, WinPh, Titzen, Windows, desktop Linux distros or any other OS which you're nuts to suggest they should do when they don't offer advertising which would make these a loss for the company in every conceivable way.



    And while that idea is crazy, it's not as crazy as you saying Apple should give you a Lightning to Micro-USB adapter so you can power an external HDD from some other vendor.

    First, it's to late, Apple is already giving away the mini USB adapter to their European customers and why is it crazy, cost them what, a buck. Second, I didn't mention the iPad because there are iOS apps available that cover Apples web services, also using an iPad for web apps is not the best experience. Your list of OS's was taken out of context from one of my posts about iTunes Radio, just because I enjoy computing on multiple platforms doesn't mean I am any less of an Apple geek, why people here take so much offense over others using an OS besides one from Apple is something I will never understand. Yes, Apple should offer their web services free of charge and to everyone for the same reason Microsoft and Google do it, exposure. It introduces new users to the Apple world, keeps current users from going to the competition and it's the future. The more people Apple can attract the better, even if it means offering free web apps for a period until such time their services are worthy enough for subscription or do you think Apple should just stick with it's current base of customers and leave it at that? Why are you so annoyed with me as this is not the first snide comment from you today, just curious.

  • Reply 77 of 187
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,776member
    relic wrote: »
    I would like to see iCloud services being offered to everyone, regardless if they own a Mac or not. I'm actually a very big fan of web apps and fully believe it is the future. I know I will get critism for this but I have a ChromeBox in my bedroom connected to the TV. It's my bedroom entertainment system, I have 100's of ripped BlueRays available through Google Drive and OneDrive, which doesn't require a download to watch them as Google Drive and OneDrive offer direct streaming from their web interfaces. Even going so far as converting videos that have incompatible codecs on the fly. I play my music using Spotify, watch TV with Zattoo in which every Swiss Channel is available in HD and it even looks better than my cable. I can look at all of my photos using OneDrives unbelievablly awesome photoviewer, as every time I take a picture with my Nokia 1020 the photo or video is automatically backed up to it, as well as the RAW photos. The list of great web apps are now in the hundreds if not thousands. Say what you will about Google but they have a very large leap over Apple in this area, one way the Apple can convert Google users is by offering their services to them. I would also love to see an Apple ChromeBook equivalent, which I don't think I have to wait to long.

    There's nothing wrong with that vision of how cloud services "should" work. You just have to understand (you may not appreciate) that Apple is offering a competing vision that is currently quite centric to their hardware platforms. Because I don't care for Google or Microsoft's solutions, I am naturally partial to Apple's.

    However, I'm glad that Google offers you what you want, and really, it's the market that will decide what the winning strategy is.

    Regardless, I am not sure it is in Apple's cultural DNA to ever sell iCloud as a hardware- or platform-agnostic service. You might have convinced them to try that in the mid-1990s, but after the company was resurrected under Steve Jobs, Apple found its winning strategy in deeper integration. In fact, I would argue that Apple currently has no future selling standalone competing services: they can't out-Google Google (Maps, services), nor out-Microsoft Microsoft (licensing OS to clone makers). In the words of Steve Jobs, Apple has to remember how to be Apple, and do that better than anyone else. Apple should not try to be another company. Apple needs to turn "deep integration" into a winning strategy, and not let their competitors define how the market is won.
  • Reply 78 of 187
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,776member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hitchhyker View Post



    Will we have the normal teething issues whilst Apple Users do Apples research and development for nothing. Apples track record indicates we will be abandoned in 18 months time when a revised scheme breaks.



    Apple has lost its way and is no longer leading but is now like Ford, let others come up ideas and then improves it.



    I am a very long standing Apple User from the IIE but feel we no longer matter, Apple knows best, well it does not and certainly ignores many issues raised by its users.

     

    Do you have anything other than a weak argument by analogy to support your claims? Will you retract it when you're proven wrong 18 months from now?

     

    I thought so.

  • Reply 79 of 187
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    My question is, with you now being able to Share your iTunes account with Family, will the additional iCloud plans cross over and everyone that shares the account be able to have access to all the storage?

    And if so when you pool the accounts together can each account add their "free" 5 gigs to the total Space?
  • Reply 80 of 187
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

     

     

    Do you have anything other than a weak argument by analogy to support your claims? Will you retract it when you're proven wrong 18 months from now?

     

    I thought so.


     

    When the hell have you seen anyone on the internet retract anything? Especially anonymous internet trolls? The great (or not so great, for decent people) thing about the internet is no accountability. It's easy to spout all the shit you want when you know that even if you're wrong, it won't matter an iota. Look at Constable Odo- he's never retracted any of the thousands of posts he's made claiming that if Cook did not go Apple's stock would drop to the 200s. He keeps posting as if nothing has happened- and with the same rants. If I was him I'd be too embarrassed to post anymore, but some people have no shame. 

     

    Also, didn't you know, car analogies are all that's need to present an argument these days. 

Sign In or Register to comment.