Apple's iPhone 5c & 5s take 42 percent share of global LTE handsets

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
Apple's global lead in selling premium smartphones is particularly evident in new metrics that show the company's iPhone 5c and 5s represent 42 percent of global 4G LTE smartphones.

New data from Counterpoint Research for Q1 2014 shows Apple has maintained more than 40 percent share of LTE shipments over the past year despite dramatic 91 percent year-over-year growth in LTE shipments, which now contribute more than a fourth of all smartphones shipped worldwide.

Apple's lead remains so large that its iPhone 5c and 5s sales outsell all of the various LTE phones sold by Samsung by a wide margin.

Apple's two LTE iPhone models also outsell the rest of the industry's total shipments of all LTE phones sold globally by LG, Sony, Motorola, Nokia, HTC, ZTE, Huawei, Sharp, Kyocera, Pantech, Coolpad, Fujitsu, BlackBerry, Lenovo and all others tracked by the firm.

Despite a "narrow portfolio" of LTE devices, and the fact that Apple only began making LTE-savvy phones starting with iPhone 5 in 2012, at least two years after a variety of Android licensees rushed first generation LTE products to market, Apple now dominates LTE sales.

Counterpoint notes that the U.S. currently accounts for one in three LTE phones, with Japan in second place and China in third, ahead of South Korea. China is expected to overtake Japan by the end of 2014 to become the world's second largest deployment of LTE handsets.

After having swooped up key market share among premium LTE handsets in the U.S. and Japan, Apple is now reported to have taken 58.7 percent of China Mobile's newly emerging, homegrown TD-LTE market, despite the widespread popularity of large screened phones in Asia.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Down from 44% last year.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Down from 44% last year.

Yes, that's comparing percentages of two different numbers. Given that LTE shipments grew by 91%, the fact that Apple is trouncing Samsung's "high volume, broad product portfolio" strategy while making twice as much money should cause people who cite total market share figures of "smartphones" (but not all phones!) to think about what those numbers actually mean.

Samsung is getting crushed in the US, in Japan and in China among high end phones, which is what LTE indicates. And nearly all of Samsung middle tier phones (and even many cheap models) support LTE. 

• Reply 3 of 21
    landcruiserlandcruiser Posts: 218member
    Quote:

Down from 44% last year.

Because Samsung has been giving away a record number of phones so their share went up. It's interesting how the 5c is now considered a success after the Wall Street rabble dissed it for so long.

• Reply 4 of 21
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Down from 44% last year.

Blocked permanently.

• Reply 5 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Blocked permanently.

Join the club. :D

• Reply 6 of 21
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    LTE is worth it for people who spend any significant time outside of WiFi zones and want to retain an ability to use the internet with ease, from my experience.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Yes, that's comparing percentages of two different numbers. Given that LTE shipments grew by 91%, the fact that Apple is trouncing Samsung's "high volume, broad product portfolio" strategy while making twice as much money should cause people who cite total market share figures of "smartphones" (but not all phones!) to think about what those numbers actually mean.

Samsung is getting crushed in the US, in Japan and in China among high end phones, which is what LTE indicates. And nearly all of Samsung middle tier phones (and even many cheap models) support LTE. 

I agree with you that Apple owning 42% of a much bigger number is better than owning 44% of a smaller number. You lose me on your claim that the data shows "Apple is trouncing Samsung". Samsung went from owning 26% of the smaller number to owning 29% of the much larger number. By your data both Apple and Samsung are doing very well- mostly thanks to market growth- with Samsung gaining a delta 5% share over Apple.

If your cited data's trend continues, in only a little over 2 years, Samsung will be outselling Apple even in the ”LTE only" category.

Apple is still king- but their competition is real. I don't think the trends will continue though- I think the 6 and iPhab are going to change things considerably.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Samsung out grew Apple according to the same report

112% vs 83%

Why focus on Samsung. The LG G3 is the phone to get.  LG also out grew Samsung.

• Reply 9 of 21
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I guess LTE is a decent quick way to separate the "bottom-end" phones from the market Apple actually wants to be in.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

This is actually a better statistic. LTE is the future of cell phones and Apple is focusing on the current and future technologies not when technologies has been. We all know the Analyse love focusing on Market share, but market share in the past is no indication of future performance. So Analyses love basing Apple since they see no growth do to their tunnel vision around past technology market share.

Apple should be awarded for getting the lion share of the future technology since this is where the investment and growth will be.

• Reply 11 of 21
    sbono13sbono13 Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I guess LTE is a decent quick way to separate the "bottom-end" phones from the market Apple actually wants to be in.

That may be true for now, but in very short order, LTE will trickle downmarket, and Apple's share will "dwindle." And it will mean nothing, except that Appleinsider will have to find something else to crow about. 

• Reply 12 of 21
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member

It's somewhat disappointing in a world filled with billions of consumers that there isn't enough room for more than a couple of companies to be profitable in the smartphone business.  It just seems so stupid that only one company must dominate and all the others must fail in order to satisfy Wall Street.  Apparently, the smartphone business must not be like any other business on the planet.  In most businesses, surely a half-dozen or so companies can thrive on a global basis.  I just don't think the value of a company should be based entirely on market share.  There have to be other factors that are just as important to consumers.  I'm not sure what's so wonderful about companies getting crushed.  It's no good for the economy or employees for companies to be going out of business.

• Reply 13 of 21
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sbono13 View Post

That may be true for now, but in very short order, LTE will trickle downmarket, and Apple's share will "dwindle." And it will mean nothing, except that Appleinsider will have to find something else to crow about. 

It already has, you can get LTE handsets under $200.

This shows that the most popular high end smartphones have screens the same as or smaller than iPhones.

• Reply 14 of 21
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    I am in Tokyo on vacation and it might as well be called iPhone city. I have been paying close attention on the phones I see on the subway and other trains. I estimate that about 95% of young people have iPhones. Of older folks (who have fewer phones generally than the kids) it's about 60% iPhones. Of people who don't have iPhones a surprising number have the old flip phone style, sometimes in pink! Many fewer Samsung phones than you see in the U.S., but they are heavily advertised. Haven't seen a single advert of any kind for Apple. Guess they just sell themselves.

Edit: I should add that white is the dominant color with about an equal number go gold and silver trim.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    wakefinancewakefinance Posts: 855member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

I'm glad you have finally admitted that Apple doesn't outsell Android in the high-end market, which is what LTE indicates.

• Reply 16 of 21
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    To be clear, this is LTE handset shipments, not LTE handset market share. The iPhone is further behind when it comes to LTE handset market share.

Apple has only had a LTE phone for 18 months. In August 2012 they were at 0%. It also doesn't show that while Q1 is usually high for iPhone shipments because they release a new phone in the fall, their Q2 & Q3 numbers go down while people wait for the next iPhone.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I'm glad you have finally admitted that Apple doesn't outsell Android in the high-end market, which is what LTE indicates.

No it doesn't, I can get a 4G Huawai handset for $159.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    hill60 wrote: »

Take that up with DED. I'm just quoting him.
  • Reply 19 of 21

I have Verizon. Show me a cdma and LTE phone that works on it's network for $159.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

I don't think you can get it can you? ;)

Looks like a China Mobile exclusive if you're referencing the M811. Or is it the Huawei Ascend G526? I found it on eBay Australia for $179. It's a relatively old phone tho, introduced well over a year ago and since replaced in Huawei's model line. No surprise it's now discounted from the original pricing of $400US+