Apple posts OS X 10.10 Yosemite highlight reel to YouTube

Posted:
in macOS edited November 2014
Apple on Monday posted to YouTube a promotional video showing off the graphical changes OS X 10.10 Yosemite will deliver when the operating system launches this fall.

Titled "The New Look of OS X Yosemite," the short minute-long clip highlights a few major changes made to Apple's upcoming OS, including flatter iconography, retooled system text and transparencies. Apple CEO Tim Cook first presented the clip at the Worldwide Developers Conference keynote last week.

The clip starts out with Yosemite's new "traffic light" window buttons, which are now devoid of skeuomorphic shading. Aside from the graphics tweak, the familiar green button previously assigned to enlarge Finder windows is now a toggle for full-screen viewing.

From the video's annotations:
We reconsidered every element of the Mac interface, large and small. The result is something that feels fresh, but still inherently familiar. Completely new, yet completely Mac.

Yosemite's new dock is also featured, with a run-through of icon changes made to Apple's standard apps like Safari, Mail, Calendar, Notes and more. A few select apps are shown off in detail, including Mail, Messages and Calendar, each featuring extensive use of transparencies that Apple says adds depth to the desktop OS.

AppleInsider is taking an in-depth look at Yosemite, as well as the upcoming iOS 8, in a first look series highlighting the operating systems' most anticipated features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I was a little ambivalent about it at first (like I was with iOS 7), but I'm really starting to warm up to the UI.

It appears that the interface has been tightened up, with even more cruft removed, that is designed to get out if the way. As with iOS 7, it's about the content, not the UI. It also appears to have been designed with a consumer that is more tech-savvy in mind, and better able to pick up subtler navigation cues than consumers of the pre-iOS era.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    I was a little ambivalent about it at first (like I was with iOS 7), but I'm really starting to warm up to the UI.

It appears that the interface has been tightened up, with even more cruft removed, that is designed to get out if the way. As with iOS 7, it's about the content, not the UI. It also appears to have been designed with a consumer that is more tech-savvy in mind, and better able to pick up subtler navigation cues than consumers of the pre-iOS era.

At first my productivity was lower but I've come up to speed. The new Spotlight is definitely more useful for me. I do wish I could make the transparency less transparent but perhaps I won't need to once I can enable Dark Model.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    darryn lowedarryn lowe Posts: 250member
    The nicest change for me is the fact that they've got a different colour for the iTunes logo.

I'm often finding I click iTunes instead of App Store because the logos are a similar colour.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    The design style is outstanding, I especially like the Finder icon
  • Reply 5 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

The nicest change for me is the fact that they've got a different colour for the iTunes logo.

I'm often finding I click iTunes instead of App Store because the logos are a similar colour.

What if they rename it Music and move all apps into App Store.

Quote:

Yes, that is annoying.

• Reply 6 of 17
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The design style is outstanding, I especially like the Finder icon
    Yeah, I seriously can't believe people are complaining that Finder looks too happy. Good lord the things people are way too anal about.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    The translucency. At first blush I assumed it would be Vista-like... revealing content behind overlapping windows. And while parts of the Finder do this, it actually functions to reveal further content *in the same window*, which is very clever, at least in implementation. I'm not sure whether it's really necessary, because the cues that tell you there's more content you're not seeing happen anyway during the act of scrolling.

But I find the effect rather pleasant. It's soothing eye-candy without being gaudy or cartoonish.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    I figured they'd match the resize button colors to the label color palette. The resize colors are darker.

Defaulting the plus button to full-screen I feel is going to annoy some people and IMO points towards them pushing full-screen apps like iOS. When everyone is used to full-screen apps and split screens, maybe they just open apps fullscreen by default. Then they can get rid of the idea of a windowed interface. When I look at my typical desktop view, I have a single window open large and behind it are about 10-20 panels of different shapes, sizes and positions. If they instead went into a sidebar of either thumbnails or just names with the icon of what they are when they became background windows, it would be neater. Occasionally, I'd want to have a background window there for reference but that would be done with a split screen.

They made the Finder happier for some reason - maybe it's happier because it's rounded off instead of square.

I think they could have enforced a rounded square icon everywhere. The trash can wouldn't work but that would help it stand out, same with document and movie icons. You'd know right away the difference between an app and the others. Maybe this will come in a later version?

http://mac.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/Yosemite-OS-X-Screenshot-136595.html

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/44425/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

They've improved the padding round the app hover bubbles. You can see the problem with the old one where the padding is too tight and when a word doesn't have anything using the descender line, it looks like the word is jammed up too high in the bubble. They've now increased the padding and vertically aligned it to the sum of the x-height and ascender line, which is much nicer.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

They've improved the padding round the app hover bubbles. You can see the problem with the old one where the padding is too tight and when a word doesn't have anything using the descender line, it looks like the word is jammed up too high in the bubble. They've now increased the padding and vertically aligned it to the sum of the x-height and ascender line, which is much nicer.

Speaking of padding, I don’t like the padding (or rounding) on Finder item selections.

• Reply 10 of 17
    ingsocingsoc Posts: 212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It looks so much better now. The padding and text looks a lot cleaner, but also, I like the indicator dot - it's actually slightly awkward and can be difficult to see on Mavericks. It's clearer/tidier on Yosemite.

• Reply 11 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

In DP1.1, they’ve added a credit to The Weather Channel in Notification Center, as that’s where the weather widget there gets its information (Yahoo! still provides stock info).

But Dashboard still gets its weather from Yahoo!, so you’ll have conflicting information if you use both. I’ve loved Dashboard since Tiger, but honestly it seems like Apple could very easily get rid of it now. 

PARTICULARLY SINCE THEY HAVE REFUSED TO FIX THE PROBLEM WHERE THE WEATHER WIDGET REFUSES TO REMAIN WHERE THE USER PUTS IT–MOVING AROUND RANDOMLY ON THE SCREEN–FOR THE LAST NINE YEARS.

• Reply 12 of 17

I never really used the Dashboard - I just found it annoying. I'd often go to quickly search for something in Google and then later on remember that I had a Dashboard to use instead! Haha. It just felt forgettable and slightly awkward to me.

I'd much rather have these things sitting in the Notification Center, honestly. It's more intuitive and logical I think.

• Reply 13 of 17
    ingsoc wrote: »
    I never really used the Dashboard - I just found it annoying. I'd often go to quickly search for something in Google and then later on remember that I had a Dashboard to use instead! Haha. It just felt forgettable and slightly awkward to me.

I'd much rather have these things sitting in the Notification Center, honestly. It's more intuitive and logical I think.

Did you ever set it to a Hot Corner?

Even now I've setup Notification Center with the Calculator and Stock functions as well as set up the upper-right hand Hot Corner to activate for it and I'm still finding myself using Spotlight and Dashboard to call each of these, respectively.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    ...but perhaps I won't need to once I can enable Dark Model.
    sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences AppleInterfaceTheme Dark

To undo, either remove the key (defaults delete) or change it to “Light”

http://www.iclarified.com/41683/how-to-enable-dark-mode-in-os-x-1010-yosemite-beta
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Did you ever set it to a Hot Corner?

Even now I've setup Notification Center with the Calculator and Stock functions as well as set up the upper-right hand Hot Corner to activate for it and I'm still finding myself using Spotlight and Dashboard to call each of these, respectively.

I never set it to a Hot Corner, no. The key thing for me is that I didn't want to be taken out of the screen to go to the Dashboard - if you're saying that I can place these widgets in the Notification Center column, then that's much better! :)

I'll probably wait for Yosemite for this though. For me it's a very much a "nice to have".

• Reply 16 of 17
    ingsoc wrote: »
    I never set it to a Hot Corner, no. The key thing for me is that I didn't want to be taken out of the screen to go to the Dashboard - if you're saying that I can place these widgets in the Notification Center column, then that's much better! :)

I'll probably wait for Yosemite for this though. For me it's a very much a "nice to have".

I tried using my upper-right for Notification Center, which is useful to me, but it means I needs to put Dashboard in another corner and just can't find a solution that gives up screensaver(lock screen), show all windows (Mission Control), and show desktop from upper-left, lower-left, and lower-right, respectively, so I've moved to my original setup and just tap on the NC icon in the upper-right manually when I want to access it. Oh well.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    There was a debate in the early 20th century in the Art World when painting had to be "flat". On the one side abstract painters argued that all 3D space must be removed because it was felt that it was too real and was somehow a throwback to the impressionists. Then one day someone pointed out all the "space" and great uproar ensued. Impressionists and Expressionists have been at war ever since. This argument about iOS7 looks the same to me, and now Apple is adding all this space back ROFL. Impressionism in a word. Expressionist are realists, they like to see the dark side of human nature. Apple (Johnny Ive) does not like that much and is why he is all about light, clarity and so on , i.e that airy fairy spacey feeling. When I watch Johhny extolling the "personal" , feel of tech, and all that impressionist wishy-washy bourgeois nonsense, I wanna slap the bloke! It's still a lot better than having to deal with the Windows and Android Alien machine like impersonal matrix, that treats it users like mindless morons ewwww

http://hubpages.com/hub/Impressionism-vs-Expressionism

I myself am more of an abstract expressionist style because I like the distorted shapes and vivid colors of human emotions - somewhat in the style of the philosophy of Steiner showing the aura and hidden imperceptable world