OS X Yosemite first look video: Notification Center

Posted:
in macOS edited June 2014
Among the more substantial additions Apple will usher in with OS X 10.10 Yosemite is an enhanced Notification Center that includes Dashboard-like widgets and a new "Today" view borrowed from iOS.

As seen in the video above, Yosemite's revamped Notification Center has more in common with iOS 7 than it does OS X 10.9 Mavericks. In fact, it looks nearly identical to the mobile operating system's version save for Yosemite-exclusive fonts and tweaked transparencies.

With the addition of a "Today" pane, which is the default view for Notification Center in Yosemite, users have quick and easy access to upcoming events, current weather, Reminders and much more. Like iOS 8, the assets are referred to as widgets and fulfill many of the duties carried by the current OS X 10.9 Mavericks' Dashboard.

The term "widgets" isn't thrown around lightly as Apple is allowing developers to build Notification Center support directly into their apps. With Yosemite, instead of navigating to the Dashboard, users can check sports scores, punch in calculations and reference world clocks directly from an active desktop.

Importantly, Apple is streamlining the coding process for developers to integrate Notification Center support for both Yosemite and iOS 8, meaning widgets will be truly cross-platform once the operating systems hit this fall.

In the developer beta, only first-party apps like Stocks and Calendar are supported, though SVP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi demonstrated the feature's potential at WWDC via a variety of third-party software like ESPN SportsCenter.

Apple has also tied in and expanded Mavericks' share button in Yosemite, giving users the option to access Messages straight from Notification Center. In Yosemite, the ability to message contacts is baked into the "Social" widget that also has hooks into OS X Internet Accounts like LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.

The system is not yet unified, however, meaning messages are posted in Today view, while notifications pop up in the separate Notifications pane. Notification Center does have the ability to respond to direct messages, email and SMS, but for now the mechanism is limited to the Mavericks-style pop-up window.

Other widgets are more interactive. For example, completing a to-do in Reminders will automatically clear that task from all devices registered to a user's iCloud account.

Finally, Yosemite's Notification Center will carry over "Do Not Disturb" settings from Mavericks, limiting the situations under which notification pop-ups appear on the desktop.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Wish they would have a "widget pane" too. I don't think I like the idea that all your widgets go to the today view...seems like it would get a bit crowded/busy!!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Please, Apple, before you ship this, provide a way to turn off the salsa music without a .plist hack.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    popinfreshpopinfresh Posts: 145member

Does Appleinsider not have the ability to screen record? This is such an amateur video. As for this feature of OS X 10.10 I like the idea of giving developers extensibility to widgets like this.

-PopinFRESH

• Reply 4 of 12
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

I personally find the notification centre in Mavericks annoying so I have it turned off.  It's a useful thing on a phone but for me, personally, it doesn't translate that well to the desktop.

• Reply 5 of 12
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I actually like what I'm seeing here and hope that the SDK firms up quick to support this on both systems. I see the potential for a use if not profitable utilities. Which makes me wonder if adds will be supported in the widgets.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Please, Apple, before you ship this, provide a way to turn off the salsa music without a .plist hack.

lol, that's not Salsa... That's about as "Salsa" as the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

• Reply 7 of 12
    It's funny that it took this long to get a calculator on the same screen , but I like how easy it is to adjust everything
  • Reply 8 of 12
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

why do i not see the video referred to? not in Chrome nor in IE 9...

• Reply 9 of 12
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

salsa? it's jazz. "smooth jazz", specifically...

• Reply 10 of 12
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Looks like an OS for stupid people. I need a whole 20inch monitor just to view my existing widgets ... why on earth would I want to fit them into the Notification panels? Why would I want stocks or the weather there???? So bad. It feels like a copy of Windows 8 with all the sharing crap and push drivel they shlock onto your desktop ... At least, Mac OS X was free of all that screen blabber for noobs ...

Looks like I am going to be staying with Mavericks on my new Mac Pro thank you very much.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    I hope Apple returns some tasteful skeumorphic elements to Yosemite's design. Certain aspects of Mavericks (sign on screen, contacts) are so baron it feels like a beta.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post

Looks like an OS for stupid people. I need a whole 20inch monitor just to view my existing widgets ... why on earth would I want to fit them into the Notification panels? Why would I want stocks or the weather there???? So bad. It feels like a copy of Windows 8 with all the sharing crap and push drivel they shlock onto your desktop ... At least, Mac OS X was free of all that screen blabber for noobs ...

Looks like I am going to be staying with Mavericks on my new Mac Pro thank you very much.

Wait until you see the final release. This is just the first beta. You realize you can enable, disable and reorder widgets right?