Apple's WWDC unveiling of HealthKit in iOS 8 grabs the attention of doctors

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    cpsro wrote: »
    Especially in the disability insurance business, the insurance companies love it when you cancel!

Maybe the best part of the ACA (affordable care act or "Obamacare") is no more exclusions for pre-existing conditions. So if "something crappy" happens and it doesn't kill you, you can still get health insurance.

Amen to that. I had major surgery in 2000 and after the operation my long time insurance provider, Mutual of Omaha, called to say they were "not renewing my coverage". Not 'canceling', as that was illegal, just 'not renewing'. I was totally screwed with a 'pre existing condition' till the ACA. Now, I am back with a top notch BCBS, no questions asked.
  • Reply 42 of 46

It is very interesting to get this perspective. My interest in HealthKit was how I could record and store my data like weight, blood glucose levels, etc.

But when I read this, it showed I had a tunnel vision and that the potential for this is huge.

I somehow feel that Tim wants to make Health his legacy and will push this constantly and make it a revolutionary thing with dedicated hardware and, of course, apps.

• Reply 43 of 46
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member

I'd be interested to hear how any of this will be relevant to any user outside of the US. Anyone got a take on that aspect ?

• Reply 44 of 46
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

I'd be interested to hear how any of this will be relevant to any user outside of the US. Anyone got a take on that aspect ?

I expect medical records management is a challenge most everywhere.

• Reply 45 of 46
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Furthermore, especially with medical records, whom would you trust to keep your records safe and private? Google? Amazon? Microsoft? Maybe Microsoft but I still trust Apple more. If only because secrecy is so ingrained in its culture so they already have the mindset and the procedures that engender privacy protection.

Corporate philosophies aside, how do those companies' actual security track records compare? Google, Amazon, and Microsoft all offer HIPAA-compliant web services. 

References:

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Health-Care-IT/Microsoft-Adds-HIPAA-Compliance-in-Windows-Azure-for-Cloud-Health-Data-446671/

http://www.healthcareinfosecurity.com/google-amazon-adjust-to-hipaa-demands-a-6133

• Reply 46 of 46
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

It is very interesting to get this perspective. My interest in HealthKit was how I could record and store my data like weight, blood glucose levels, etc.

But when I read this, it showed I had a tunnel vision and that the potential for this is huge.

I somehow feel that Tim wants to make Health his legacy and will push this constantly and make it a revolutionary thing with dedicated hardware and, of course, apps.

Tim is reportedly a fitness junkie; Apple could go far in this field.