New aerial photos of Apple's Campus 2 show foundation work taking shape

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    tleviertlevier Posts: 104member
    I think it's safe to say that while "Spaceship Campus" is a good "development name", when it's all said and done, I bet it gets a "Steve Jobs Memorial" type name.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    eideard wrote: »
    Illegal drone photography?

I've heard talk of that being outlawed but has that happened yet? And what about those with RC planes and helicopters that have existed for decades; are they exempt so long as they don't have a camera attached?
  • Reply 23 of 31
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

I think it's safe to say that while "Spaceship Campus" is a good "development name", when it's all said and done, I bet it gets a "Steve Jobs Memorial" type name.

I will bet it does not.

Apple will call it Campus 2.

• Reply 24 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Every time I see the plot, I’m reminded of how much larger it would have been had they been able to buy the apartment complex.

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Doubt it. Perhaps a symbolic skeleton crew.

Apple did the iPhone in 18 months. I’m pretty sure they can handle a little building.

• Reply 25 of 31
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

My guess is that Apple will indeed start with a "symbolic skeleton crew" that happens to be the IT staff. They would likely need to be the first to arrive anyhow to set up servers, routers, etc.

It will likely be opened in zones, so the IT and move teams can handle the workload and logistics to relocate so many people. It takes time to build cubicles, move boxes, set up power and networking, work out the kinks of a new facility (like fixing a balky card key scanner), etc. Plus, it is not just individual offices, there would be labs involved in the move.

It will probably be based on groups or divisions, like the iOS team, or Mac notebook hardware team. One of the main points of the large structure is to put people who work together on the same project in close physical proximity to enhance communication and collaboration; right now many of those teams are likely scattered through dozens of buildings in Cupertino.

Another consideration are project deadlines. They would carefully schedule moves to avoid impacting major deadlines. Let's say a gold master of iOS __ is due on September 9; well they aren't going to move the iOS team the first week of September. In the same way, they wouldn't move their finance team while they are in the midst of closing the books from the previous quarter.

A tiered move-in would also smooth things for contractors (food service, security, maintenance, etc.).

If I recall correctly, Apple is generating some of the power on site (solar panels and fuel cells), so bringing power online to support the building would also be done in stages.

• Reply 26 of 31
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

Illegal drone photography?

it's not illegal to take photos. this was very likely an airplane or chopper.

• Reply 27 of 31
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Very likely? Did you read the beginning of the article?:
    "A host of photos posted to Twitter by KCBS news and traffic reporter Ron Cervi"

As for the move, it won't be a problem. The new and old campuses are only a short distance apart. "Now we want each of you to carry at least two boxes when you walk over to your new office . . ."
  • Reply 28 of 31
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In the latest image from Tuesday, Cervi reveals what appears to be a low wall

That 'low wall' is several meters high.

• Reply 29 of 31
    kennmsrkennmsr Posts: 100member
    clemynx wrote: »
    That 'low wall' is several meters high.

According to the Cupertino prints the retaining wall is close to 40 feet tall and as I posted earlier it should be 309 feet between the interior and exterior retaining walls.

• Reply 30 of 31
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

According to the Cupertino prints the retaining wall is close to 40 feet tall and as I posted earlier it should be 309 feet between the interior and exterior retaining walls.

Yes, I was thinking about that too :)

• Reply 31 of 31
    This structure is fantastic. although I would really like to see some kind a train system integrated into the facility. I'm sure its great once inside but the employees still have to sit in gridlock traffic to get there.