Samsung endorser LeBron James made a reported $30M from Apple's Beats buy

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Don't quit your day job. Wall Street is 100% in favor of the purchase.

Guess you missed all the articles from before it was confirmed, huh.

• Reply 42 of 75
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Ok, so all celebrity endorsers are "whores"? Or just the "urban" ones? I've read a lot of your angry rants, but this barely-concealed coded racist language "This is the kind of people that Apple wishes to be associated with?" is much too much. There, I said it. 

Yeah, I'm totally ok with Samsung shills, as long as they are not "urban".:err:

• Reply 43 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

You do realize Apple isn't paying him, nor using his talents, right? 

It says in the article that Beats will continue to use him in their ads, and that's clearly a conflict of interest, since we all know now that Apple will be buying Beats.

• Reply 44 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Replace the word "endorser" with "paid shill" and you have the truth.

He was bought to advertise, the same way he did with Beats.

Sell out. I bet he uses an iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

When he plays a game, does he get paid by both his team and the team that he's playing against?

He should stick to throwing balls through hoops, because Apple has no use for his talents, in my opinion.

So, I guess every celebrity & athlete who endorses a product (and there are thousands of them) are all sell-outs and shills and should be disgraced? I guess those celebrities who starred in Apple commercials 3-4 years ago should return their money and be disgraced? You must also hate Led Zeppelin (they just let Christian Dior use Whole Lotta Love in an ad), Tom Hanks, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Joe Montana, and the list goes on endlessly... they are all greedy bumbs and a-holes?! Hmmm.... okay.

• Reply 45 of 75
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The guy uses Beats headphones in real life.  Watch ever single pre-game/post-game interview and he has his Beats on. 

I said

Replace the word "endorser" with "paid shill".

This would give you the headline:

"Samsung paid shill LeBron James made a reported $30M from Apple's Beats buy".

So what I said was he is a shill for Samsung because despite being paid to say he uses a Samsung phone, guess what?

Feel free to point out where I said he was a Beats shill.

What I'm getting at is that he may be a Samsung endorser but, like all the other endorsers, he is actually an iPhone user.

I hope that has cleared up your confusion.

• Reply 46 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

So, I guess every celebrity & athlete who endorses a product (and there are thousands of them) are all sell-outs and shills and should be disgraced? I guess those celebrities who starred in Apple commercials 3-4 years ago should return their money and be disgraced? You must also hate Led Zeppelin (they just let Christian Dior use Whole Lotta Love in an ad), Tom Hanks, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Joe Montana, and the list goes on endlessly... they are all greedy bumbs and a-holes?! Hmmm.... okay.

I am an Apple fan, and I don't approve of any celebrity who would be whoring themselves out to both Samsung and Apple, since I obviously do not like Samsung at all.

• Reply 47 of 75
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm totally ok with Samsung shills, as long as they are not "urban".:err:

What does that even mean?
  • Reply 48 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What does that even mean?

It means that my reply and outrage would not have been any different if an "urban" Samsung shill were replaced with a non-"urban" Samsung shill. even though a few racists and potential rapists on here would disagree.

• Reply 49 of 75
    apple ][ wrote: »
    It means that my reply and outrage would not have been any different if an "urban" Samsung shill were replaced with a non-"urban" Samsung shill. even though a few racists and potential rapists on here would disagree.

What constitutes 'urban'? At this point in time, you're probably more urban than LeBron.
  • Reply 50 of 75
    inteliusqinteliusq Posts: 111member
    If Dre's ayebrows and ears were any more pointier, he would look like a Vulcan.

Can anyone photoshop this image of Dre to look like a Vulcan?
  • Reply 51 of 75
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

No that's how your redistribute wealth! :) 

• Reply 52 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I am an Apple fan, and I don't approve of any celebrity who would be whoring themselves out to both Samsung and Apple, since I obviously do not like Samsung at all.

How is LeBron "whoring" himself out to both? He endorses Samsung (until his contract with them expires) and he likely got some Beats stock when he signed to endorse them (standard procedure) before Beats was bought by Apple. There is no connection. He profited from the Beats sale to Apple, that is not endorsing Apple. A celebrity must immediately drop all their stock in a company if that company is purchased by the rival of one of their endorsers? That's absurd. You make it sound like he's doing Apple ads, he's tied to contracts that existed before this sale, he should break his contracts and get sued to appease the people on this site?

• Reply 53 of 75
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,869member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Versus how many people have they made filthy rich? Wall Street wasn't the lone offender is those instances. They weren't the ones handing out mortgages to every Tom, Dick, and Harry.

That would be the Banks, they also do reverse mortgages to every old person over 62 years old, Insurance companies are also in on the scams, Wall Street, Hedge Funds, and Equity companies have recovered from 2008 and are washing, and rinsing to repeat it all again. 

• Reply 54 of 75
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Athletes have been doing doing this for years. Nothing new here. They just want money, and would be happy to "endorse" any product as long as it brings a paycheck.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    What constitutes 'urban'? At this point in time, you're probably more urban than LeBron.

He probably means "urban culture". From Wikipedia:
    "In the United States, Urban culture may also sometimes be used as a euphemistic reference to (post-Great Migration) contemporary African American culture."

Because the other dictionary definition of urban: relating to or characteristic of a city or town makes no sense in the context of the posts above that use the term.
  • Reply 56 of 75
    He probably means "urban culture". From Wikipedia:
    "In the United States, Urban culture may also sometimes be used as a euphemistic reference to (post-Great Migration) contemporary African American culture."

Because the other dictionary definition of urban: relating to or characteristic of a city or town makes no sense in the context of the posts above that use the term.

And if I remember correctly [@]Apple ][[/@] lives in Manhattan. Which would most certainly make him 'urban' ;)
  • Reply 57 of 75
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    jason98 wrote: »
    Someone will have to bear responsibility for this Beats non-sense. If Tim thinks that Apple users will rush to buy overpriced streaming subscriptions to add to the pool of the existing 110k Beats customers, he is deeply mistaken.  I am thinking Cook is going out in 2-3 years.
    The price has lowered since the purchase. Apples looks more at the Jimmy Lovine and that they can stream to Android devices without really being Apple themselves while making money. There's no ways Cook is going out, he's been the only CEO that's Steve Jobs has been happy with and he's also been the only CEO besides Steve Jobs to actually do any good to the company.
  • Reply 58 of 75
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    Just shows he has an iPhone and a pair of beats at home, got to love Apple in any way and that galaxy just stays in his car unwanted.
  • Reply 59 of 75
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    georgeip5 wrote: »
    The price has lowered since the purchase. Apples looks more at the Jimmy Lovine and that they can stream to Android devices without really being Apple themselves while making money. There's no ways Cook is going out, he's been the only CEO that's Steve Jobs has been happy with and he's also been the only CEO besides Steve Jobs to actually do any good to the company.

Don't get me wrong. I think he is operation genius, but he lacks vision. He bets on a company which was in its decline. And their streaming service was a total failure. If not saved by Apple, Beats would just die by slow death.
    Steve would never invest into the past.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    frood wrote: »
    You do realize Apple isn't paying him, nor using his talents, right?  He essentially invested in Beats in 2008.  That investment netted him quite a healthy return when Beats sold for $3 billion in 2014.  Since he is a 'celebrity' and Apple is somehow involved it qualifies as news here.  Calling him a sell out because Apple chose to buy a company he invested in is pretty silly.  You might as well call Apple the sellout for buying a company at which one of the owners uses something other than an Apple phone...

They probably told him he could get paid some cash now or take a stake in the company. If that's the case it's hard to say he's either an idiot and/or he's a shill that didn't believe in the company.