Apple acknowledges sporadic iTunes outages, says issue resolved after brief downtime

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2014
Apple on Thursday said it has resolved an issue that caused some iTunes customers to see limited access to the online store for around three hours, though details of the downtime have yet to be revealed.

Reports of the problem started coming in at 11:30 a.m. Pacific when iTunes customers from various parts of the world experienced limited access to Apple's online stores, including the iTunes Music Store, App Store and streaming Apple TV content. Nearly three hours later, Apple told Re/code that the problem had been resolved.

AppleInsider was able to confirm outages in certain locations, though other areas remained unaffected throughout the roughly three-hour service blackout, suggesting the problem may have been a server handling issue. During the downtime, customers were met with error messages like the one above, while other users' devices would show a blank white screen when opening an iTunes-connected app.

Apple did not elaborate on a specific cause of the interrupted service and has yet to update its System Status webpage to reflect today's outage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I've been having problems getting Messages to send recently...

• Reply 2 of 12
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Why isn't Apple's service status page showing any problems? That is my question.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    coolfactor wrote: »
    Why isn't Apple's service status page showing any problems? That is my question.

Excellent question . If Apple wants us to trust them they need to be direct and up front with us about network connectivity issues.

I understand that they are not only rolling out an amazing number of services under the iCloud umbrella but that the usage of these services have an unbelievably excessive growth rate, and call centers take time to be set up and test, but it strikes me as a poor design that Switzerland's closest iCould server farm in mid 2014 is in Ireland. This is one area I'd think Apple should be able to use their vast financial resources to get that part of the issue built up and tested quickly.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I’ve seen absolutely NO problems with iTunes or any Apple services in the U.S. Midwest (near St. Louis.) Everything has been working all day long.

• Reply 5 of 12
    I've been having problems getting Messages to send recently...

Yup me too :/
  • Reply 6 of 12
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Excellent question . If Apple wants us to trust them they need to be direct and up front with us about network connectivity issues.

I have never consulted the services status page, so naive question, what is the protocol for reporting an outage when some service is intermittently  affected or only regional in scope? Do they usually make those types of granular details available?

• Reply 7 of 12
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    I have never consulted the services status page, so naive question, what is the protocol for reporting an outage when some service is intermittently  affected or only regional in scope? Do they usually make those types of granular details available?

The bubble isn't green if it's not operating properly (I forget the exact color options. Perhaps orange and red?) and the time line below let's you scroll a 24 hour timeline form many days (perhaps a week?).

Easiest just to check it out.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member

Nope - 01:57 here in the UK, still having issues with iTunes match and app store/iTunes store and apple TV. Odd thing is that I can stream from my iTunes match to my iPad, but I can't download any of the tracks.  :/

• Reply 9 of 12
    coolfactor wrote: »

There are a lot of strange things going on with various communication systems due to a couple recent solar flares. Expect another good one on Friday (today). Time Warner cable is having issues with localized email outages.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    This was one of the rare instances that I got to experience the downtime firsthand. My error message using iTunes for Windows was something like "The song selected cannot be found in the iTunes Store" along with a very blank screen. Strange to me because I hadn't selected a song at all.

I totally agree in that Apple should place this on their status report, even if it's after the fact.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Oh, they are. The server status page is just down, too. :p:D

• Reply 12 of 12

Horse Ranch is a simple little game on iTunes just buys horses, feed them and train them to become champion racehorses.