Yahoo Finance frets that Apple's iPhone, iPad "only" grab the majority of all mobile shopping traffi

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    asterionasterion Posts: 112member

Interesting that Apple is turning to Microsoft, a similar software and hardware manufacturer, for strategic partnership. Perhaps even the one-time "evil empire" is easier for Apple to trust than the amoral, do-whatever-is-in-our-own-interest-and-screw-the-consequences internet based companies like Google and Yahoo...

A.

• Reply 22 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Apple's iPhone accounted for 58 percent of smartphone shopping traffic while iPads took an overwhelming 86 percent share among tablets, but Yahoo Finance is warning investors that Apple's dominance of shopping is "slowing losing share."
    pooch wrote: »
    no it doesn't. it says it's "slowly losing share".

if anyone knows anything about trading credibility for click-bait traffic, it's ded.

Dude, stop measuring shadows and get to the heart of the matter...
  • Reply 23 of 39
    greatrixgreatrix Posts: 95member
    Competition can only be good.
    Apple is still leading the field, judging by the graph in the article.
    The media have a vested interest in finding real or imaginary issues, and distorting reality. That's their living. The problem lies in the public's inability to discern between the objective information and the media's slant on it.
    Apple, Google and Samsung also inevitably distort the truth as well, that's the name of the game. Apple is still ahead of that game, though, so far.
    My design facility is totally Apple and I can't see that changing in the near future, but who knows what the future will bring? Inevitably, all our internet purchases are through our Apple computers. I never use my iPads or my iPhone for buying stuff.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

i guess if proofreading is too tedious for mikey campbell, it's way out of the question for the esteemed ded.

if anyone knows anything about trading credibility for click-bait traffic, it's ded.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed the irony there.

• Reply 25 of 39
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

DED, you are absolutely correct that Yahoo Finance definitely has an an extremely anti-Apple agenda but I am surprised this article did not focus on that bald buffoon named Jeff Macke. He absolutely froths at the mouth whenever he talks about Apple which is fairly often. His favorite catchphrase is " Google and Samsung are eating Apple for lunch". The stuff you quote by Edwards is extremely mild compared to the things Macke constantly says about Apple. 

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/

• Reply 26 of 39
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    At least the iOS yahoo weather app doesn't try to spin [B]that[/B] news too:

[I]"Cloudy later this afternoon, with a .0000001% chance of a coronal mass ejection ending all life on the planet ..."[/I]
  • Reply 27 of 39
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

This is no surprise.   Even aside from the regular Apple-bashing, Yahoo Finance is nothing but gloom and doom.    Every day there are articles (or links to other sites) predicting that the economy is going to collapse and that Obama is going to be impeached.    Yahoo Finance is the Enquirer of finance journalism.      And the people who comment on Yahoo Finance are largely a bunch of racist, homophobic idiots with the maturity level of an immature junior high school boy who is not too intelligent.  

Today we have "Luck Won't Stop A Correction", "Peter Schiff says to leave the U.S. to ‘make a fortune’", "This chart shows the market to be 'a ticking time bomb'", etc.

• Reply 28 of 39
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    Does the author comment on his Apple Short position? Anyway, I too will be weening myself from Yahoo. There was a point in time last year when I felt it and a chance at giving Google a run, but no longer. Most likely bet would be for Microsoft to resurge and keep Google honest.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Given the appalling misinformation that Yahoo Finance feeds into the existing iOS Stocks app, perhaps Apple should also partner with more legitimate news sources for financial information, too.

Really? I thought the stocks app just provided statistics and quotes from the various stock markets. Are the quotes wrong? Can someone please explain this statement?

• Reply 30 of 39
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,855moderator

Sadly for Yahoo, Marissa's fresh young face and bright smile will not help her in face-to-face negotiations with Tim Cook.  He's got immunity!  LOL!

• Reply 31 of 39
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,855moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

If the number one company on the planet is said to have holes in it, then I hate to think what all the companies below Apple have.  

How long are people going to talk about Steve Jobs carrying or not carrying Apple?  He's been dead since October, 2011 but people keep saying Apple is running based on his momentum.

This is exactly why I find it difficult to commit any of my investable capital to any company other than Apple.  None of those other companies ever had Steve Jobs, none were directly shaped by him, had their business tenets put in place by him, had a vision and roadmap created by him, had their philosophy of focusing on just  a few things shaped by him.  At least Apple HAD Steve Jobs, even if he's no longer around.  So to those who say Jobs was a genius and apple has lost its way without him, I say all of the above.  And to those who decry him as an arrogant bastard who did more to harm Apple than help it, I say, well, what are you waiting for, he's gone now and the stock has doubled since Cook took over.  When did you get in?  Ha ha ha!  Idiot detractors!

• Reply 32 of 39
    macosrmacosr Posts: 12member
    If AAPL is doomed then what about YAHOO? They've closed their doors? I bet YAHOO would love to be in apples position right now. It's called jealousy.
  • Reply 33 of 39

I couldn't agree more about the iOS Stocks app.

There was a time, years ago, when I regularly followed the links. Now, I almost never do, as they are limited to a few anti-Apple sites such as Business Insider and CNBC. It seems to be an anomaly that Apple should fix by either ordering Yahoo! to fix, or by changing the source.

• Reply 34 of 39
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

There was a time, years ago, when I regularly followed the links. Now, I almost never do, as they are limited to a few anti-Apple sites such as Business Insider and CNBC. It seems to be an anomaly that Apple should fix by either ordering Yahoo! to fix, or by changing the source.

I think you are confusing two different things. The stock app is just market data, but there there is a link to Yahoo finance at the bottom which opens up a Safari page. On that page are a bunch of ads. Just because it says Featured on Yahoo doesn't mean Yahoo endorses, hosts or wrote the content of the article. It is a paid placement. I don't think Yahoo gives a crap what is in the article as long as the advertiser pays them. That is how search engines work. They get paid for ads.

• Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I think you are confusing two different things. The stock app is just market data, but there there is a link to Yahoo finance at the bottom which opens up a Safari page. On that page are a bunch of ads. Just because it says Featured on Yahoo doesn't mean Yahoo endorses, hosts or wrote the content of the article. It is a paid placement. I don't think Yahoo gives a crap what is in the article as long as the advertiser pays them. That is how search engines work. They get paid for ads.

I'm not confusing anything. The iOS app consists of two parts: the data of however many stocks you wish to follow, and news links provided by Yahoo! Finance for the relevant stocks. I'm talking about the news links, which are trash. You seem to be talking about the single link to the Yahoo! Finance homepage, which probably does have a bunch of ads on it. 

I don't get the feeling you regularly use the Stocks app.

• Reply 36 of 39
    rs9rs9 Posts: 68member
    .....yo, Yahoo!! I'm 58....slowly getting older.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Tundraboy's law of grammar hawks: A post that pounces on someone else's bad gramnar is guaranteed to contain grammatical errors.

'scuse me while I ax my Granmar about the gramnar!

• Reply 38 of 39
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RS9 View Post

.....yo, Yahoo!! I'm 58....slowly getting older.

...I'm slowing, getting older.

What a difference a comma makes.

• Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Tundraboy's law of grammar hawks: A post that pounces on someone else's bad gramnar is guaranteed to contain grammatical errors.

Excuse me whilst I ask my Grandmama about the gramma!

'Appy too bee off 'elp.