Apple puts some Hachette e-books on sale as Amazon dispute drags on

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foad View Post

That is not how a free economy works. Pricing is something that the market dictates and Hatchette doesn't need to give in. It is their prerogative how they want to conduct their business. The fact of the matter is that neither the publishers or authors are happy with Amazon's position in the market. I haven't seen authors side with Amazon in this contract negotiations.

(I THINK Maestro64 was being sarcastic ... I could be wrong.)

The fact that Hatchette could go to Apple and sell their books through iBooks is exactly how the free market is supposed to work.  Amazon is free to set their terms for providing distribution... and publishers are free to NOT use Amazon if they feel Amazon is being too onerous.  Most publishers are willing to accept these terms, though, because they feel it is easier/cheaper than building their own digital distribution system... or more effective than going with the #2 digital distributor, iBooks.  (The REAL #1 distributor being bit-torrent. ;) )

• Reply 22 of 40
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

(I THINK Maestro64 was being sarcastic ... I could be wrong.)

The fact that Hatchette could go to Apple and sell their books through iBooks is exactly how the free market is supposed to work.  Amazon is free to set their terms for providing distribution... and publishers are free to NOT use Amazon if they feel Amazon is being too onerous.  Most publishers are willing to accept these terms, though, because they feel it is easier/cheaper than building their own digital distribution system... or more effective than going with the #2 digital distributor, iBooks.  (The REAL #1 distributor being bit-torrent. ;) )

If Maestro64 was being sarcastic then I stand corrected. Ultimately I think Amazon is trying to flex a little too much. This isn't the first time this issue has come up and probably won't be the last. Amazon is the internet age version of Walmart.

• Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foad View Post

If Maestro64 was being sarcastic then I stand corrected. Ultimately I think Amazon is trying to flex a little too much. This isn't the first time this issue has come up and probably won't be the last. Amazon is the internet age version of Walmart.

No need to "stand corrected" ... your post was still correct and I agree with you.  I was just thinking that the quote of Maestro64's was taken too literally... I read it as sarcasm, thinking he'd likely agree with us.

• Reply 24 of 40
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple doesn't set the price. Hachette does.

And you can bet that this is all about Amazon's crap. Hachette wants folks to get the books. If Amazon loses sales cause folks went to iBooks, sucks to be Amazon.

SO then if Hachette can set the price this low this fast - they must be making a ton. 

• Reply 25 of 40
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Apple doesn't set the price. Hachette does.

And you can bet that this is all about Amazon's crap. Hachette wants folks to get the books. If Amazon loses sales cause folks went to iBooks, sucks to be Amazon.

What part of 'Apple puts some Hachette ebooks on sale' is too difficult for you?
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What part of 'Apple puts some Hachette ebooks on sale' is too difficult for you?

An Apple PR rep made a statement confirming the sale, but declined to comment on whether Hachette or Apple was responsible. So where's your proof that Apple is responsible for the sale prices? Surely you didn't take the title of this article as proof, did you?

• Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Imo, yes. Next best. For me nothing beats going into a store or a library and getting a physical copy of a book. I flat-out despise e-books.

You know that is besides the point TS was making.

But I agree with you. I love buying physical copies of books - hardbacks, paperbacks, coffee table books, digests, comics, TPBs. Wherever I can, I stick to reading physical books.

Of course, when I am travelling, nothing better than my iPad Air. It holds hundreds of comics and dozens of novels.

It is a pity Apple still isn't selling books in India. I hope they start soon.

• Reply 28 of 40
    fullesfulles Posts: 7member
    Excellent. This is exactly how a free and competitive market should work. Each supplier free to set their own price.

Hopefully this will end the comments about Amazon having a monopoly.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    An Apple PR rep made a statement confirming the sale, but declined to comment on whether Hachette or Apple was responsible. So where's your proof that Apple is responsible for the sale prices? Surely you didn't take the title of this article as proof, did you?

And where is the proof that they didn't?
  • Reply 30 of 40
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    And where is the proof that they didn't?

Please. A logical fallacy? That's all you've got?

Prove to me God doesn't exist. Prove to me Jobs never beat his wife. Ridiculous.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Please. A logical fallacy? That's all you've got?

Prove to me God doesn't exist. Prove to me Jobs never beat his wife. Ridiculous.

Nice try at redirection. Stay with the topic. I'm going with what was written. If the author was mistaken then the burden of proof is on you. Common sense would say that if Hachette wanted to give Amazon's competitors a leg up then they would've lowered the price at other ebook stores as well. The Nook ebook store would be a good place to start.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,677member
    Quote:

No they don't currently sell eBooks under the agency model.

http://tidbits.com/article/13998

That was a "proposed" term and it specifically says end current agency model contracts - it says nothing about not being able to renegotiate new agency model contracts.

The fact is, they still use the agency model as they do in ALL their stores.

• Reply 33 of 40
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    That was a "proposed" term and it specifically says end current agency model contracts - it says nothing about not being able to renegotiate new agency model contracts.

The fact is, they still use the agency model as they do in ALL their stores.

They had to tear up their agreements so we're not sure how they're doing, and Apple uses the wholesale model for TV/movies so it's not ALL their stores.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

The part where it's just the title of the article that is merely explaining that Hachette books are on sale for pre-order in the iBooks Store. The author of the article doesn't know who set the prices, he's just pointing out that these titles are on sale.

Do you always read headlines as containing all the facts?

• Reply 35 of 40

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They had to tear up their agreements so we're not sure how they're doing, and Apple uses the wholesale model for TV/movies so it's not ALL their stores.

They don't use the wholesale model, they do set recommended prices and work out contracts with the producers (just as they did with the book publishers), however, that doesn't stop the production companies from setting their own price. Just look at the prices of some PBS shows.

• Reply 36 of 40
    The part where it's just the title of the article that is merely explaining that Hachette books are on sale for pre-order in the iBooks Store. The author of the article doesn't know who set the prices, he's just pointing out that these titles are on sale.

Then why not title it 'Hachette ebooks on sale in Apple iBookstore'?
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Next best?
    Imo, yes. Next best. For me nothing beats going into a store or a library and getting a physical copy of a book. I flat-out despise e-books.

News flash: you can like ebooks and physical books. It's not a crime.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

No kidding Einstein. Since your reading comprehension is obviously lax, what I said was that I prefer physical books over ebooks. That I prefer going into a store and getting a brand new book.

I never said anything about having to like one and only one.

Smh

• Reply 39 of 40

No kidding Einstein. Since your reading comprehension is obviously lax, what I said was that I prefer physical books over ebooks. That I prefer going into a store and getting a brand new book.

I never said anything about having to like one and only one.

Smh

Your comment 'flat-out despise ebooks' deserved an appropriate response.
  • Reply 40 of 40

See the difference with this title, "EA begins huge iOS sale"?