Apple set to launch new low-end 21.5" iMac with dual-core 1.4GHz Intel Core i5 CPU

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    What about the high end model? A refresh with i7 4790 and GTX 880M on the 27 inch one will be a good thing!
  • Reply 22 of 37
    gunner1954gunner1954 Posts: 142member
    Take note that the New iMac at $1099 does NOT have upgradable memory!
    (Select the item and you will find that there are no memory options, though there are drive options.)

21.5-inch: 1.4GHz
    Specifications
    1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
    8GB memory
    500GB hard drive1
    Intel HD Graphics 5000
  • Reply 23 of 37
    vuduvudu Posts: 28member
    Are some of you guys kidding?
    Does it really need to be explained?

I see comments that imply they want a low end which can run the most cutting edge software.
    Isn%u2019t that going 2 different directions simultaneously?

%u2022 Demand for desktops took a dive recently with tablets taking over.
    %u2022 There is market share to be had in emerging markets with lower price points.
    %u2022 There wasn%u2019t enough differentiation between the 21.5 & 27 inch iMacs, or a mediating model.

%u2022 The new machine isn%u2019t as cheap as it ought to be, but it undercuts sales of the higher end models if its too good a deal.

%u2022 As a company with investors, Apple is still trying to balance a good profit with product.

Sounds good, but what does it mean:
    %u201CIf Apple does this right%u201D -- please explain what the profit model on a $699 iMac is.
    You have to know what break-even on a machine is, to be able to assess what a viable price tag is!
  • Reply 24 of 37
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    gunner1954 wrote: »
    That is a two edge sword. 8GB isn't that bad at all. However it does mean value will drop faster than on some other Macs.
    (Select the item and you will find that there are no memory options, though there are drive options.)

Specifications
    Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
    8GB memory
    500GB hard drive1
    Intel HD Graphics 5000

All in all I'm not impressed. I hope they don't expect this to replace the Mini.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Advertisement?

More “hey look, an analyst finally got something slightly correct for once in their pathetic existence; let’s keep a running tally”.

• Reply 26 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

New iMac starting at $1099. $100 cheaper than the price I saw at Best Buy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner1954 View Post

Specifications

Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz

8GB memory

500GB hard drive1

Intel HD Graphics 5000

Also, the hard drive is 5400rpm apparently. Slower CPU, smaller AND slower HD. Only $100 less expensive?

• Reply 27 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    lkrupp wrote: »

Also, the hard drive is 5400rpm apparently. Slower CPU, smaller AND slower HD. Only $100 less expensive?
    Head scratcher, just like the 8GB 5C. Doesn't give me much confidence in seeing 32/64/128 as standard storage sizes in new iDevices. Only think Apple might do is add 128 to the iPhone line.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    Seems like some you may not realize the $1100 price tag is MSRP and more likely can be competitively priced at $999 by retailers etc during promotions. This is more likely their "promotions" oriented basement model than anything else.. Yes the old Apple was MSRP was the price, of late the new Apple has unlocked retailers to more agressively put Apple price wise (finally) in the game...
  • Reply 29 of 37
    lkrupp wrote: »

The current HDD is 5400 rpm on the quad core and it's $200 less. The other quad core is $1299 with a same speed HDD that is 1tb. This isn't a bad deal. Not the best option for everyone but that isn't the point of this machine.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

Will it be able to run Adobe CS6 and FCPX?

I am sure it will run CS6 because I use it on a 2008 MB. But if those were the apps you are planning to run on it you'd be well advice to up your hardware. For anything beyond basics I switch to a much higher specced new iMac. 

• Reply 31 of 37
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Wonder what the price reduction will be? And does this mean Apple is clearing the way for retina products this fall? Yosemite, like iOS 7, was really designed with retina in mind. Maybe this fall we'll get retina iMacs and Airs?
    This year, probably final push for retina, but as with the retina MacBook Pro had probably a $1500 bottom end IMac and $2000 27 inch. On the Mac book airs the same with $1500 12 inch model.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Joining the race to the bottom? Why? How will Yosemite run on a half-speed processor?

About as well as it will run on a MacBook Air.

That's basically what the guts of this thing is. It's a dual-core i5, two threads per core.

Better performance would be obtained by upgrading to the 1TB fusion drive or the flash drive, but it's plenty fast enough for basic needs, including all the applications it ships with (iMovie, GarageBand, iWork applications, etc.).

• Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Now if Apple does this right, it'll be $699, we haven't seen an iMac at that price in years, and it's about time it comes back.

Well we know now that the price is $400 higher than you hoped. But when was an iMac ever $699?  I don't recall them ever being priced so low.

• Reply 34 of 37
    In UK, they've also reduced the price of the high-end iMacs by £100 or £200.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Well we know now that the price is $400 higher than you hoped. But when was an iMac ever $699?  I don't recall them ever being priced so low.

Never. The low-end iMac DV (in 2000) was $799. That’s as close as it has ever come.

EDIT: Hey, new title font. I like it, but I’m not sure how I feel about it in regard to the rest of the fonts on the site. Maybe they’ll change, too. What font is it, by the way?

• Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The low-end iMac DV (in 2000) was $799. That’s as close as it has ever come.

Wow, I still have my old Blueberry iMac DV in the back closet. I'm gonna have to open up the box and see if it still boots, or if the caps blow. If it's working, that will make its cost just over $57/year.  Though I bought it in 2002 on eBay, for $400, so its cost to me will have been around $34/year. Not too shabby.  Runs System 9 native, too....

• Reply 37 of 37
    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Wow, I still have my old Blueberry iMac DV in the back closet. I'm gonna have to open up the box and see if it still boots, or if the caps blow. If it's working, that will make its cost just over $57/year.  Though I bought it in 2002 on eBay, for $400, so its cost to me will have been around $34/year. Not too shabby.  Runs System 9 native, too....

Still have ours, still runs like a dream. Mac OS 9 until… oh, roughly… maybe Panther? Then we upgraded to Jaguar. :p