Adobe debuts Creative Cloud 2014, mobile apps, plus new stylus & ruler hardware for iPad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2014
Adobe on Wednesday revealed its latest update to Creative Cloud, which comes with 14 new versions of CC desktop apps, as well as four new mobile apps and the official launch of the company's stylus and ruler set for iPad.

Creative Cloud

With more than 2.3 million active subscriptions worldwide, Adobe's Creative Cloud is one of the most successful media creation suites available. For 2014, the company is primed to hold its biggest software release since Creative Suite 6.

"Our shift to Creative Cloud has given us a broad canvas on which to innovate like never before," said Adobe's senior vice president of digital media David Wadhwani. "We've taken bold steps with this milestone release, fast-tracking new features to industry-defining tools like Photoshop and InDesign, while introducing mobile apps that turn tablets into indispensable creative tools."

For the desktop, Creative Cloud subscribers will be granted access to 14 revised apps including Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC and InDesign CC.

Spotlight features for Photoshop include a Blur Gallery that quickly generates motion effects for a sense of movement in still images, Focus Mask for tweaking depth of field and new Content-Aware capabilities. Other enhancements include a buffed Mercury Graphics Engine, improved Layer Comps and the ability to link Smart Objects across multiple documents.

Illustrator now features Live Shapes, while Web tools like Dreamweaver CC include a new Element Quick View that lets users easily view markups in a document.

For a complete rundown of the new apps, visit Adobe's dedicated Creative Cloud webpage.

Mobile apps and hardware

Adobe is extending its reach into mobile with four new apps and a set of hardware accessories tailored specifically for Apple's iPad.

Line is what Adobe claims to be the first iPad app for precision drawing and drafting. The app can connect with Adobe Slide hardware to draw curves, lines and perfect shapes in various views like elevation or perspective.

On the photography side, Lightroom for iPhone and Photoshop Mix bring powerful image editing to Apple's iOS devices. Lightroom for mobile was already introduced for iPad in April and now Adobe shrunk down the experience for iPhone. Photoshop Mix for iPad offers compositing and masking tools, as well as cloud-enabled features like content-aware fill and image straightening.

Finally, Adobe Sketch is a simple free form drawing app that comes with a digital pencil, pen, blending markers and an eraser. A standalone Creative Cloud iOS app is also being offered for file management and mobile account access.

Adobe's Ink and Slide iPad accessories.

As for Adobe's foray into iPad hardware, the company introduced Adobe Ink and Adobe Slide, a stylus and ruler set based on the Project Mighty and Napoleon prototype models.

Adobe Ink is a hydro-formed aluminum stylus that uses Adonit Pixelpoint technology to offer pressure sensitive input in a lightweight unit. The device connects to Creative Cloud to offer users access to drawings, photos and Adobe Kuler themes, along with other assets.

Adobe Slide is a companion to the Ink stylus that enables the drawing of precise straight lines, circles and other shapes.

Pricing and availability

Creative Cloud

Adobe Creative Cloud ranges in price depending on the application or suite being purchased:

The new Creative Cloud Photography Plan is priced at $9.99 per month and includes Photoshop CC and Lightroom, as well as access to the mobile Photoshop Mix. In addition, Adobe slashed $10 off the Creative Cloud Student and Teacher Edition subscription price, which now goes for $19.99 per month.

Other subscription options are listed below:

Creative Cloud Complete plan for $49.99 per month
Creative Cloud for teams complete plan for $69.99/month

Mobile apps and hardware

Adobe Line, Photoshop Mix, Lightroom for iPhone and Creative Cloud for iPad and iPhone are all free apps available through the iOS App Store. A subscription is required for syncing and certain operations depending on the app. For more, see AppleInsider's hands-on impressions.

Adobe Ink and Adobe Slide are available through Adobe.com for $199.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

And of course the UIs and shortcuts remain completely independent of one another. :no:

• Reply 2 of 20
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And of course the UIs and shortcuts remain completely independent of one another. :no:

But of course. It's more difficult for the Adobe designers, programmers and coders to create a unified UI and universal shortcuts. Why make life more difficult for a couple hundred employees when you can ignore the issue and make life more difficult for millions of customers instead?

• Reply 3 of 20
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    While UI inconsistencies are frustrating, if you used to follow John Nack's blog (when he was on the PS team) there is a lot that goes into making up the UI, shortcuts etc. and is something the PS team at least seemed to put a lot of thought into. The different teams though seem to work in silos (for instance Adobe Illustrator has no auto save feature and up till now at least seem to have no interest in adding it which if you have ever lost an AI file is very frustrating) and when one team makes a change it does not seem to necessarily migrate to the others. A fix would be for Adobe to put some of their money (they have been touting how successful CC is) into a team that oversees all the UI's and brings some order to the whole suite. That said, every change they make is going to frustrate some of the millions of customers who you are trying to help but the longer they drag it out the harder it is to change.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:

Exactly, I always mix shortcuts when switching between Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign. What were they thinking, and why don't they fix it?

In InDesign I have "Enter" keys and letter "t"s in my text blocks because in Photoshop that's how you escape a text box and select the Pointer tool, and then after I get used to InDesign's UI I enter Photoshop again and now I'm clicking "Esc" and using the letter "t", which removes all my text edits... and yup no undo.

Don't get me started on the Command key or Illustrator's layers, they bought Freehand FGS, why not adopt those shortcuts, they were great!

Alright, I know that's enough

• Reply 5 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

In InDesign I have "Enter" keys and letter "t"s in my text blocks because in Photoshop that's how you escape a text box and select the Pointer tool, and then after I get used to InDesign's UI I enter Photoshop again and now I'm clicking "Esc" and using the letter "t", which removes all my text edits... and yup no undo.

Yeah I agree that was odd behavior in PS but fortunately in CC it doesn't do that anymore. Aside form a few differences, the common tools do have the same shortcuts. What it really comes down to is that you need to learn each program's tools anyway because although there is some basic overlap, for the most part, the tools sets are all completely different, because... they are completely different applications. 

• Reply 6 of 20

All I really want is more flexibility in the subscription model. At the introductory rate I was feeling like it was a great value, but now that it ended I'm paying for way too much that I barely use.

I'm down to two essential apps: Photoshop and Illustrator and I'd like to get that at a better rate. I'm sure others have two completely different apps they need. I'd just like a middle ground somewhere.  Saving $10 to $15 or even just $5 is huge when you are talking monthly.

Seems like they are piloting the idea with Lightroom plus Photoshop at $9.99 so I hope that is successful enough for them to broaden the idea to other pairings or just a "you pick 2" sort of thing. ;)

Also, I'm for a slow creep of unified features and shortcuts for consistency across programs.

• Reply 7 of 20
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    bulk001 wrote: »
    While UI inconsistencies are frustrating, if you used to follow John Nack's blog (when he was on the PS team) there is a lot that goes into making up the UI, shortcuts etc. and is something the PS team at least seemed to put a lot of thought into. The different teams though seem to work in silos (for instance Adobe Illustrator has no auto save feature and up till now at least seem to have no interest in adding it which if you have ever lost an AI file is very frustrating) and when one team makes a change it does not seem to necessarily migrate to the others. A fix would be for Adobe to put some of their money (they have been touting how successful CC is) into a team that oversees all the UI's and brings some order to the whole suite. That said, every change they make is going to frustrate some of the millions of customers who you are trying to help but the longer they drag it out the harder it is to change.

Adobe is leaving the hard stuff to it"s 3rd party developers.

Head on over to Astute Graphics and pick up the "Auto Savior" plugin that does incremental background saves.
    http://www.astutegraphics.com/software/autosaviour/

I have absolutely nothing to do with Astute Graphics other than use their plugins as a necessity for the short-comings of Illustrator.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Exactly, I always mix shortcuts when switching between Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign. What were they thinking, and why don't they fix it?

Don't get me started on the <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Command key or Illustrator's layers, they bought Freehand FGS, why not adopt those shortcuts, they were great!</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Alright, I know that's enough</span>

Re: Unified Shortcuts - while Adobe very well should at least give you the ability as a preset preference (checkbox for example), you are able to and very well can change any and all shortcuts yourself to fit your workflow. I've been "unifying me shortcuts across the Adobe apps now for years. One (if only one!) good thing about the Cloud, is that you are able to sync 2 installations and your preferences (including shortcuts) of Adobe Cloud apps across platforms/computers.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Some final notes to the Adobe CC presentation before I head off to watch Spain vs. Chile.

1) Adobe is tying itself to Apple (and iOS) pretty strongly once again in it's history. Nothing about apps for Android or Windows, or any other devices other than those from Apple were presented today. GOOD!

2) The main take away from the presentation though, is that Adobe is luring and tying creatives to their own Cloud services so tight, that it just gives those that are wary of the cloud more ammunition to resist. Almost all of the main features of this presentation had functionality ties to your CC membership... and will only work when logged in... and/or the service is available with an internet connection and their servers are up. NOT SO GOOD!

3) All of the collaboration features, assets, syncing goes out the window if anything happens to their servers or your connection... or Dawg forbid your CC Login ID is hacked(!) A HORROR SCENARIO for tight deadline based creatives... and unthinkably "I want to jump out a window panic attack" if someone manages to hack the IDs and goes about "cloud editing" a project as a malicious prank(!)

*** Terribly light and late for most of the features presented today. Some were even rehashed from what is already available since the last "update".

Edited to add: the first guy on stage to present Premier features was channeling Steve Ballmer... and really had me worried there for a minute... :rolleyes:
  • Reply 10 of 20
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Adobe is dead to me. They won't get a cent until they stop being so damned greedy, hostile, and lazy.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    jendajenda Posts: 3member
    We should boycott Adobe. The company is not good to us costumers. It is to expansive and the new features everyone does not need. I hope to have a good alternative to Adobe soon - like Pixelmator etc.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

1) Adobe is tying itself to Apple (and iOS) pretty strongly once again in it's history. Nothing about apps for Android or Windows, or any other devices other than those from Apple were presented today. GOOD!

Adobe owes its existence to Apple.

That cannot be understated. Their abuse of the relationship between them can only happen so many times before Apple stops needing Adobe.

• Reply 13 of 20

So much negative... Never any positive. Listen, I've had to use Adobe products and services since 1994. I've grown with them, and have seen them evolve. Even though uniformity would be great, and some aspects of the "creative cloud" ecosystem aren't for everyone... But look at the whole picture please... it's a very powerful group of applications that I would far from label hideous, greedy or lazy. They almost always give us what we want.

We wanted a suite of tools designed to advance HTML 5, modern web design standards, and responsive design, all while touting tight integration with the whole suite... Most thought they would never.. and force us to utilize things like flash.. Well, they gave it to us.  Not only that but they did a great job of repurposing flash as a powerful application that allows you to develop cross platform.

We wanted a way to easily publish print and media as apps into the iOS and android ecosystems... allowing us to utilize existing design while integrating rich media elements to further make digital publications stand out.... and they gave it to us.

The more and more they update, they provide better, bigger features. They listen. I'm involved with two of their application beta programs... and they truly listen.

No one wanted to pay for additional fonts. People wanted them included with the suite... and they did just that. Typekit is available for everyone, and makes discovering new fonts very easy.

My end point is, I appreciate them trying to please most all of our wishes and needs. The price I pay to have access to everything they offer is worth it. And without it, I would NOT be able to make great things that please my clients daily. And while the collection of tools, plugins, and add on's grow... (overwhelming to some) - its all a factor of them making sure that these applications do exactly what we need them to do. Don't need it? Then don't take the time to learn it... Move onto other areas that intrigue your interest and develop those aspects as your strong points.

I don't want to argue. Not trying to offend or start Board War III... I just hope that the people that are so bent on hating this suite of tools, at least has the ground to stand on with the actuality that they use these products for a living / every day. Opening it up every once in a blue moon to stamp a zit out of the picture doesn't give full justice to what this whole collection can do.

- Joseph Winters

(One guy overseeing the print, media, web, mobile, branding, design, creative and app development departments for a company that could never create what it is we create for our products, customers, and services on a daily basis without the help of Adobe and their software.)

• Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Their abuse of the relationship between them can only happen so many times before Apple stops needing Adobe.

What abuse are you talking about?

The way people bitch about Adobe around here, you'd think they were completely irrelevant to Apple. I don't think Adobe's iOS products are really very important to their bottom line. They are just putting up place holders to keep other developers from encroaching on their turf. Their main market is high end graphic design, which includes web and video. I certainly have no interest in their iOS offerings, but I use CC all day long on my Macs. Personally I'm really happy with the subscription model. The fact that it makes all the wannabe designers and pirates so angry is just a plus for me.

• Reply 15 of 20
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What abuse are you talking about?

The way people bitch about Adobe around here, you'd think they were completely irrelevant to Apple. I don't think Adobe's iOS products are really very important to their bottom line. They are just putting up place holders to keep other developers from encroaching on their turf. Their main market is high end graphic design, which includes web and video. I certainly have no interest in their iOS offerings, but I use CC all day long on my Macs. Personally I'm really happy with the subscription model. The fact that it makes all the wannabe designers and pirates so angry is just a plus for me.

Um, he's probably referring to the time when Adobe started slashing at Apple after they learned about Flash. I remember Adobe's website pointing out that I was unable to browse their website with my iPad due to Apple's poor decision and that I should contact Apple to resolve the problem.

Moreover, Adobe never stood behind Apple with OS upgrades, they always stuck to lowest-common-denominator code, much of Apple's Core technology is not supported by Adobe. Even today you cannot rename files in the Open/Save dialogs or even move folders without using their bug-ridden Adobe Bridge.

• Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Even today you cannot rename files in the Open/Save dialogs or even move folders without using their bug-ridden Adobe Bridge.

Sorry, I have no idea what you are referring to. Personally I hate that Windows allows you to change the name of any random file in the open/save dialog box. I was unaware that any application on Mac let you do that. Hell, iWork apps, most of the time, don't even have a Save command, at all. I don't use Bridge because my files are superbly organized and well named. I can find anything instantly with just the finder.

• Reply 17 of 20
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    "...Adobe slashed $10 off the Creative Cloud Student and Teacher Edition subscription price, which now goes for $19.99 per month."

My wife bought CS6 Master Collection Student and Teacher Edition two years ago for $199 and she's still using it.

CC - Creative Crack...

Subscriptions are fine, but give those who want to permanently license a specific version indefinitely that option.

Adobe IDs have already been hacked once. Oh, and to the poster who said "I'm glad this annoys the pirates" - it doesn't.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

Adobe IDs have already been hacked once. Oh, and to the poster who said "I'm glad this annoys the pirates" - it doesn't.

Click away loser.

• Reply 19 of 20
    mstone wrote: »
    Sorry, I have no idea what you are referring to. Personally I hate that Windows allows you to change the name of any random file in the open/save dialog box. I was unaware that any application on Mac let you do that. Hell, iWork apps, most of the time, don't even have a Save command, at all. I don't use Bridge because my files are superbly organized and well named. I can find anything instantly with just the finder.

Selectively change a name in any open or save dialog window with the utility Default Folder, currently at version 4.6.5.

One of the 4 "extensions" to Mac OS X that I install on every computer I own and many of those from my clients.

- Default Folder - take control of save/open dialog windows for recents, favorites, last visited, etc.
    - Launch Bar - not just a launcher(!)
    - Keyboard Maestro - take control of keyboard shortcuts in any program and string them together to create workflow macros.
    - 1Password - exactly what it says, including a place to keep secure synced notes, application serials, credit card info... whatever. I require this App be installed on at least one of all of my client's machines as well as the iOS app. NOTE: iCloud Keychain does not replace a large number of the added features of this "must-have" program.

*** You are most certainly allowed to continue hating Windows though for any reason you deem appropriate.. :smokey:
  • Reply 20 of 20
    And what has Adobe done for professional users who use a new Mac Pro and want to utilize the second GPU?