iOS 8 first look video: Installing a third-party keyboard on iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I can understand accidental touch detection, but it should be able to discern a deliberate swipe from a brief tap.

They’ve thrown it into Yosemite now, too. My Magic Trackpad refuses to accept the swipe I’ve always used to get up to Notification Center. :grumble:

• Reply 22 of 47
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    I type with both thumbs most of the time.
    When the bigger iPhone is coming out, it would make even more convenient to type with both thumbs.
    It is much faster than one finger.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,478member

I have TouchPal and I type WAY much faster and get text done faster as well. I really look forwarded to see it as my keyboard once I upgrade my iOS. 

• Reply 24 of 47
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,424member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

Swipe keyboards are much faster to type on with one hand once you get used to it.  That's the big advantage

But from my limited experience with this swipe keyboard, it can only be used one-handed and it's not nearly as fast as typing with the default keyboard with two thumbs. So one advantage of the standard keyboard is that it can be used one- or two-handed, with the second option offering greater speed.  

• Reply 25 of 47
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    Would be cool to have a T9 keyboard for old times sake. Hopefully someone makes it.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    maclvr03 wrote: »
    Would be cool to have a T9 keyboard for old times sake. Hopefully someone makes it.

So there's your chance to make a app. IMO T9 is still the best way to send a quick one handed message.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    paxman wrote: »
    jkichline wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just old or used to playing instruments that require you to move your fingers, but swiping to type doesn't seem like it would be much faster.
    Certainly not when you are playing Beethoven's Piano Sonata N01. in F Minor (thanks Shazam), with your other hand.

It’s such a well-known sonata that everyone learns as a child, and yet I thought it was Mozart. I enjoyed it anyway, though it was a shame that the video ended just as the development was hotting up.

Note to AI staff: please enable the 'fit music to video length' option in your video-editing software. Poor Beethoven.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Swipe keyboarding boils down to a complex gesture system for whole words.  Like those unlock patterns I see among non-iOS mobile users.

You don't have to memorize any gestures. The idea is to touch the first letter of the word you're typing and then instead of tapping the remaining letters, you slide your finger to the remaining letters in sequence.

• Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:

My girlfriend often has problems swiping on the edges of screen on her iPhone 5 when playing Candy Crush.

Does she use a case with her phone?

Since iOS 7's introduction of edge-based gestures, I've found that some cases that cover the edges of the screen interfere with the detection of these.

• Reply 30 of 47
    freediverx wrote: »
    Does she use a case with her phone?

Since iOS 7's introduction of edge-based gestures, I've found that some cases that cover the edges of the screen interfere with the detection of these.

No case whatsoever
  • Reply 31 of 47
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

But from my limited experience with this swipe keyboard, it can only be used one-handed and it's not nearly as fast as typing with the default keyboard with two thumbs. So one advantage of the standard keyboard is that it can be used one- or two-handed, with the second option offering greater speed.  

You're wrong.

Swiftkey supports pecking and swiping at all times. So no, it doesn't force you to type one handed. You can peck two handed if you choose to.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Urahara View Post

I type with both thumbs most of the time.

When the bigger iPhone is coming out, it would make even more convenient to type with both thumbs.

It is much faster than one finger.

What makes you think you won't be able to with a custom keyboard?  See my above answer.

• Reply 32 of 47
    technarchy wrote: »
    You're wrong.

Swiftkey supports pecking and swiping at all times. So no, it doesn't force you to type one handed. You can peck two handed if you choose to.

That's not correct either. One can turn off the swiping feature in SwiftKey.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Quote:

That's not correct either. One can turn off the swiping feature in SwiftKey.

It is correct. Swiftkey is my daily driver and I switch off between pecking and swiping depending on what I am doing, and how much I need to type. You don't need to disable the swiping function to have dual input types either. You can, but it isn't necessary.

• Reply 34 of 47
    technarchy wrote: »
    It is correct. Swiftkey is my daily driver and I switch off between pecking and swiping depending on what I am doing, and how much I need to type. You don't need to disable the swiping function to have dual input types either. You can, but it isn't necessary.

What I mean is that you can have both, but if you want to disable swiping you can. You're not forced to have the swiping feature on all the time.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I've never understood the hate for the Apple keyboard. I type fine on it and easily type more accurately and faster than anyone using Android that I've encountered.

The Apple keyboard is very good. About the only feature it is missing is learning and predictive selection. That's probably what I am most looking forward to in iOS 8.

With Swiftkey I can damn near type an entire paragraph with barely typing a couple of words. It just knows the words and phrases I am most likely to use and it populates them accordingly.

• Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:

What I mean is that you can have both, but if you want to disable swiping you can. You're not forced to have the swiping feature on all the time.

Agreed. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Swipe keyboarding boils down to a complex gesture system for whole words.  Like those unlock patterns I see among non-iOS mobile users.

I love words too much; I try to vary my usage a little every day.  With this approach, every word becomes a unique, tiny gesture/performance (to be memorized, if fluency is your goal).

Perhaps someone with a limited vocabulary might find this useful. 

(Almost certainly, arthritis sufferers need not apply.)

You have no idea what you are talking about. There are not "gestures" per say. You are spelling the word without pecking.

In return Swiftkey and Swype will return the most common words that fit your motions and work in tandem with a learning algorithm that will also supply words you use the most, or begin phrases you use frequently. 

If you are illiterate, Swiftkey won't work all that well.

• Reply 37 of 47
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member

You are right. And I am going to give it a try when it will be available on the iPhone.

I just felt that the video-demo was somehow slow. And if they wanted to show that the technology makes it faster - they should have done it differently. Also, maybe, by showing how fast it really can be.

And since typing with 2 fingers is faster than with one (without swipe and possibly with swipe technology/technique), they could have shown  a fast  'double swipe' demonstration. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

You're wrong.

What makes you think you won't be able to with a custom keyboard?  See my above answer.

• Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

You're wrong.

You're right. Not sure how I missed something that obvious. :embarrass

• Reply 39 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

You're right. Not sure how I missed something that obvious. :embarrass

I promise, you'll like having the option of using custom keyboards :)

I know some people want to paint the feature in a really negative light because android has been doing this for awhile, but it's no skin off our back or Apple's to open up this feature as an option. It doesn't mean the Apple keyboard is crap, or that android is better. It just means you have more flexibility than you did in iOS7.

• Reply 40 of 47
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I genuinely don't understand why people are fanatical about swype-type keyboards. It seems to me that dragging a finger across glass is slower than two-thumb pecking. It also gives the predictive text software less information to work with (eg. one tap per letter), which makes it more likely to suggest incorrect words. What am I not getting? The only thing that really bugs me about the iPhone keyboard is how easily the dictation button can unintentionally triggered.