Bono criticizes Apple for being 'annoyingly quiet' about raising $75M for fight against AIDS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    He jealous of Dr. Dre.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I'm not sure I'd take too seriously the complaints of a man who, while being worth over $1bn, continually bangs on about the plight of the poor and needy, while he claims residency in The Netherlands, so that his tax bill is lower than it would be if he were in Ireland, neatly avoiding and of his taxes helping the poor and needy of Ireland.

In summary, the man is a twat.

Bono most certainly does live in Ireland and pays personal tax there. A lie gets around the world before the truth gets it's boots on.

Also I assume he was, in a roundabout way, praising Apple's charity. And humility about that charity.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

How about the fight

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Perhaps Apple takes the idea of charity seriously. Is an action charitable if you do things which benefits you?

There is an old quote which I heard many decades ago and goes something like: "One whose morality follows their self interest has no morality." Me thinks that something like that applies to charity.

QFT. Very well said. 

• Reply 24 of 63
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Bono most certainly does live in Ireland and pays personal tax there. A lie gets around the world before the truth gets it's boots on.

Also I assume he was, in a roundabout way, praising Apple's charity. And humility about that charity.
    Yep. Apple rumor sites blowing his comments out of proportion.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Perhaps it was his clumsy way of complimenting Apple in the way they don't try to score points from such actions.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    asdasd wrote: »

Well said.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    That's nice. They raise $75m for charity and get insulted and called a "religious cult." How about some manners and gratitude?
  • Reply 28 of 63
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    I can't believe that some commenters are actually downplaying the significance of HIV/AIDS funding, just to make a stab at Bono. That's disgusting.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow, talk about a thin skin, AI.

From the sound of it, he was far from 'criticizing' Apple. If anything, he seemed to be faintly praising the company for its modesty, saying that it was just sticking to its culture of secrecy.

This is some sort of praise? Granted, it's not a big stab but not a compliment.

"Bono went as far as to call Apple "annoyingly quiet," saying that the company doesn't do enough to tout the fact that it has raised $75 million for The Global Fund."

and

""This is modesty run amok," Bono said in front of Ive."

• Reply 30 of 63
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Nice job Bono, bite the hand that feeds.

Maybe Apple should provide potatoes instead (pun very much intended).
  • Reply 31 of 63
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Moreck View Post

I can't believe that some commenters are actually downplaying the significance of HIV/AIDS funding, just to make a stab at Bono. That's disgusting.

It's not mutually exclusive. To wit, I think what Apple does is valiant and noble and very important...and Bono is a twit. 

• Reply 32 of 63
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Not quite a lie: he discusses those tax avoidance maneuvers in a Guardian interview in fact:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/sep/22/bono-campaigner-u2-global-poverty

"

The other persistent criticism is about the band's decision to offshore part of their income through the Netherlands to avoid tax. Was it not hypocrisy for you to try to hold the Irish government to account for its spending while going through fairly exhaustive efforts to avoid paying into the Irish exchequer yourself?

It is not an intellectually rigorous position unless you understand that at the heart of the Irish economy has always been the philosophy of tax competitiveness. Tax competitiveness has taken our country out of poverty. People in the revenue accept that if you engage in that policy then some people are going to go out, and some people are coming in. It has been a successful policy. On the cranky left that is very annoying, I can see that. But tax competitiveness is why Ireland has stayed afloat. When the Germans tried to impose a different tax regime on the country in exchange for a bailout, the taoiseach said they would rather not have the bailout. So U2 is in total harmony with our government's philosophy."

• Reply 33 of 63
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

nm

• Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I agree that there are many other causes which are more important than AIDS.

I'm not joking though, when I say that I wish that there was an effective charity that one could contribute to that killed people, instead of trying to save people. I would definitely open up my wallet for such a cause. I see commercials on tv, where they say that for less than the price of coffee a day, you can save a child. There should be charities that advertise with, for a $10 contribution, we will guarantee that one terrorist will be killed, like somebody from ISIS or AL Qaeda or those nutjob terrorists in Nigeria who kidnap schoolgirls, and we will even send you a picture of the dead terrorist after our forces has eliminated them. I would definitely contribute to such causes, if the charity were legit and legal. That would do a lot of good in the world, and it would save plenty of lives too. Direct action is what's needed to solve certain problems in the world.

I've actually had similar thoughts, like a kickstarter for humanitarian mercenary missions. I would definitely contribute to a mission rescuing the Nigerian girls for example. So many resources are spent doing damage control from the a**holes of the world, maybe it's time for a little prophylactic action. An ounce of prevention..

• Reply 35 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Apple's not being 'annoyingly quiet." Bono is being annoyingly boastful about what he does for fashionable causes or, to be more accurately, for being annoyingly demanding about what others ought to do.

As another poster has noted, Bono demands that governments do more while using every trick he can to evade paying taxes on his huge fortune. The guy's a phony as a pink $1 bill.

Considering the US dollar is fiat currency backed by nothing of value that ain't saying much. :D

• Reply 36 of 63
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

The guy's a phony as a pink $1 bill.

Indeed. We all know the $1 is white.

• Reply 37 of 63
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Bono, what a blowhard, LOL!
  • Reply 38 of 63
    mj web wrote: »
    Bono, what a blowhard, LOL!

How may pop stars and music stars do anything? There are a few that try to make a difference and they get nothing but crapped on by wise guys. Please list your contributions to society. Bono has worked his ass off to help others.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    It's not mutually exclusive. To wit, I think what Apple does is valiant and noble and very important...and Bono is a twit. 

You base this wisdom on what? How much have you raised for charity? Bono was the conduit that helped Apple and many others focus their efforts. Was it a waste of time, was it all pointless? I don't know but at least he worked his ass off trying.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Because Apple, under SJ, doesn't want to use donation and charity as a way to PR and market its company. Unlike many many others which do. (That is not a necessarily a bad thing.)