Samsung & Quinn Emmanuel ordered to pay Apple, Nokia over $2M for leaking secrets

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Quote:

The documents were shared with Samsung by?Quinn Emmanuel and then casually passed around internally within Samsung, even to the point of being?openly used as a bargaining tool against Nokia in subsequent patent negotiations.?Quinn Emmanuel didn't inform Apple of the breach until months later, and Apple subsequently asked the court to sanction both Samsung and its attorneys as a public shaming for their behavior.

It would appear Apple was never really interested in money for what SamScum and Quinn did, they just wanted them shamed. I guess, in law circles, losing this case has put shame on Quinn and Sammy. Maybe Samedung should be forced to put an apology to Apple and Nokia on its website, I seem to have a vague recollection of this happening to some other company.

• Reply 22 of 32
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Two million is a damn joke. This only encourages future criminal behavior from the crooks involved.

I want to see people behind bars. I want to see people's lives ruined.

I am surprised you don't want to see them executed, which was your suggested punishment for whoever in China leaked some info which AI was happy to report on.  It is hard not to surmise that you are making some biased value judgement based on ethnicity or nationality.

Yeah, the USA needs more people behind bars.  You better watch out, someone might pass a law making having a thoroughly obnoxious personality a crime and then you could be joining them.

• Reply 23 of 32
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I am surprised you don't want to see them executed, which was your suggested punishment for whoever in China leaked some info which AI was happy to report on.  It is hard not to surmise that you are making some biased value judgement based on ethnicity or nationality.

Yeah, the USA needs more people behind bars.  You better watch out, someone might pass a law making having a thoroughly obnoxious personality a crime and then you could be joining them.

Maybe just disbar some of the juniors, hired as scapegoats.

• Reply 24 of 32
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

I'm not surprised that Grewal, again, ruled in Apple & Nokia's favor.  In 2012, Grewal also rejected Samsung's charge against Apple's evidence spoliation, reasoning that Samsung's motion was one day past the tentative deadline, or one day after he'd accepted Apple's charge against Samsung.  Grewal's ruling was later overturned after a brief public outcry.

In this case again, both MOFO and QE leaked their licensing agreements with other parties, but Samsung's law firm QE is punished disproportionately while Apple's law firm MOFO's leak or "willful failure to institute sufficient safeguards for the information" is overlooked.

• Reply 25 of 32
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    tooltalk wrote: »
    I'm not surprised that Grewal, again, ruled in Apple & Nokia's favor.  In 2012, Grewal also rejected Samsung's charge against Apple's evidence spoliation, reasoning that Samsung's motion was one day past the tentative deadline, or one day after he'd accepted Apple's charge against Samsung.  Grewal's ruling was later overturned after a brief public outcry by Koh.

In this case again, both MOFO and QE leaked their licensing agreements with other parties, but Samsung's law firm QE is punished disproportionately while Apple's law firm MOFO's leak or "willful failure to institute sufficient safeguards for the information" is overlooked.

So how about I come steal your TV because at some future point you will throw it away.

Under your reasoning that can't be a crime.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Yeah, the USA needs more people behind bars.  

It's not that the USA needs more people behind bars, we need the right people to be behind bars.

If I were king, I'd release all people from prison who were there for silly non-crimes, such as weed, those people do not belong behind bars, and that would make more room for others to be placed behind bars, those who deserve it.

• Reply 27 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    chris_ca wrote: »
    Legal fees? No fines?
    What legal fees are they having to pay?
    Only the legal fees Apple & Nokia incurred investigating the issue of the leaks?

Samsung and its Quinn Emmanuel attorneys leak info in a lawsuit.
    Apple & Nokia find out about it and sue (and it costs them $2M). and win.
    and they only get the legal fees they spent to <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);line-height:1.4em;">sue for the leaks?</span>

No fines or sanctions or anything else against Samsung/Quinn Emmanuel for leaking the info?

So what was the point of even bringing the case if nothing else is done?

They weren't bringing a "case". They were complaining to the court that was hearing an existing case it was related to.

Samsung's counsel was pretty lackadaisical in handling court-sealed documents, and Samsung managment took it a few steps further to intentionally share information with other Samsung executives when they no doubt knew the Judge had intended those docs for attorneys eyes only. Worse, Samsung then reportedly used that ill-gotten info in a negotiation with Nokia. Both counsel and Samsung were in the wrong and both deserved a penalty for it.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    droidftw wrote: »
    It seems odd that Samsung & Quinn Emmanuel would get fined for "leaking" information that Apple made publicly available (even if it were an accident), but I'll trust the judgement of those in the courtroom who have much more information about the subject then any of us.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Again both need to be evaluated individually.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Two million is a damn joke. This only encourages future criminal behavior from the crooks involved.

I want to see people behind bars. I want to see people's lives ruined.

You're one to speak-you're Irish!

• Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You're one to speak-you're Irish!

What makes you say that?

• Reply 31 of 32

Our English friend is probably seeing that your username, cnocbui, here on AI is claiming to have a location of "Ireland" and is concluding that it means you're Irish. Not a totally absurd conclusion, though fallible since people move all over the world.

• Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Our English friend is probably seeing that your username, cnocbui, here on AI is claiming to have a location of "Ireland" and is concluding that it means you're Irish. Not a totally absurd conclusion, though fallible since people move all over the world.

His conclusion is wrong.  People do indeed move around.  There was a second meaning to my query relating to his assertion that all Irish people have obnoxious personalities.