Google announces Android Auto platform for cars, Android Wear devices for wrists

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Lots of weird reactionary comments in this thread.

As noted by [@]Wovel[/@] Android is not installed in your car, just as iOS isn't installed in your car for CarPlay. This is not the failed Microsoft SYNC in Fords. This is essentially mobile developers building an additional UI for your app that will essentially get pushed as an overlay to the car's system. It's just sharing the display and touchscreen/buttons, but all the processing and storage stays on the phone.

I guess we could hammer Android for copying Apple in how to design the framework for Android Auto and Google Fit platforms but I think it's great as it's the only thing that makes sense [I]now[/I] and it's not anything protectable. I would like to think that Android@Home will also follow this smarter design.
  • Reply 42 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

And this is how it fits on a woman's wrist...Beautiful...lol:

I need a screen in my phone, my wrist, my car, and my eyewear.

When Google runs out of places to put a screen and CPU, it means an end to Android.

• Reply 43 of 70
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So where are all the people complaining about Android Auto like they did with CarPlay? Go to any tech site after CarPlay was announced and you'd see comment after comment with people complaining because CarPlay doesn't support other platforms (even though the car's standard infotainment system would). Android Auto is basically doing the same thing and I see no complaints at all. Same thing with these consumer advocacy groups up in arms over CarPlay and safe driving. With Android auto it's crickets. Such a double standard.
  • Reply 44 of 70
    I have to say the Android Auto interface looks really nice. Also the new L version of Android OS looks beautiful. I'm saddened to say (and see) that Apple's UI is simply not that nice anymore :(

I hope that Apple gets back into the game and releases software worthy of Apple's reputation of beautifully designed interfaces.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So where are all the people complaining about Android Auto like they did with CarPlay? Go to any tech site after CarPlay was announced and you'd see comment after comment with people complaining because CarPlay doesn't support other platforms (even though the car's standard infotainment system would). Android Auto is basically doing the same thing and I see no complaints at all. Same thing with these consumer advocacy groups up in arms over CarPlay and safe driving. With Android auto it's crickets. Such a double standard.

I'm not completely familiar with how CarPlay works. As far as I can see, with Auto you just plug in your phone and the phone does all the work - does CarPlay work in the same way, or does it require Apple-specific hardware / software running on the car?

Also, do Apple or Google want car manufacturers to sign some sort of 'Auto or CarPlay but not both' agreement?

• Reply 46 of 70
    darklite wrote: »
    I'm not completely familiar with how CarPlay works. As far as I can see, with Auto you just plug in your phone and the phone does all the work - does CarPlay work in the same way, or does it require Apple-specific hardware / software running on the car?

1) Apple described and demoed CarPlay working the same that Android Auto was shown yesterday. This is not MS SYNC. The car's in-dash system needs only allow for for another platform's UI to take over the display and touchscreen, or display and certain buttons. Most cars will be running QNX.

What Apple described months ago when they partnered with automakers also opened up the door to Android, WinPh, Tizen and any other platform that wants to essentially stream a UI from your mobile device to your car's display. You don't have your iPhone 6S then you don't have CarPlay. You don't have your Nexus 7 then you don't have Android Auto.

There is also little chance for automakers to create different in-dash SW packages that will support only one of these platforms at a time. You're probably still have to buy the Entertainment Package since you'll need the large in-dash display but you should be able to swap in iPhone and Android-based phones as you see fit and even as you're driving.
    Also, do Apple or Google want car manufacturers to sign some sort of 'Auto or CarPlay but not both' agreement?

Looking at the list of automakers Apple didn't get any exclusivity with automakers. Remember Apple announced CarPlay (nee iOS in the Car) over a year ago and had been working with automakers to get this going. Perhaps they tried to go that route but we turned down (I doubt it) or thought that making automakers have to choose a mobile platform would be as disastrous for adoption as MS SYNC or that they simply saw the lack of benefit with mobile platform with an automobile that is likely used by many people and will have several owners over the years.

PS: I didn't see if Android Auto will support WiFi right now. CarPlay doesn't, and for good reason, but I think eventually that will be an option. BT is nonstarter with its slow speeds.
  • Reply 47 of 70
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

I know. I definitely prefer the malware free Apple Maps that sends my car into the river.

Hahaha.......

• Reply 48 of 70
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

I know. I definitely prefer the malware free Apple Maps that sends my car into the river.

That's 2 years ago, dude claimed by an anti-Apple person. I have used Apple Map since released without problem. In fact, Google Map sent me to the wrong damn location for Kaiser...instead of sending me to main campus, it sent me to the after-hour office located 2 blocks away...yup...who's dumb now?

I too have used Apple Maps since release but I have found a few errors. I reported the problem (from within the app) and found them fixed within days. Most have been small errors or cosmetic. When you look at how long Apple Maps has been in use by the public compared to how long Google Maps have been out there we are talking about a factor of 8 times longer. Google still has cosmetic mistakes, blunders and areas that just don't show up -- but then I guess nobody expects the high quality and reliability from a Google product that they do from Apple.

• Reply 49 of 70
    mistercowmistercow Posts: 157member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    That's 2 years ago, dude claimed by an anti-Apple person. I have used Apple Map since released without problem. In fact, Google Map sent me to the wrong damn location for Kaiser...instead of sending me to main campus, it sent me to the after-hour office located 2 blocks away...yup...who's dumb now?

It's not uncommon for Kaiser to have multiple offices in the same area. The dumb person is the one who just entered Kaiser into search and didn't bother looking at the final destination to see if it even was a medical center.
  • Reply 50 of 70
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    mistercow wrote: »
    The dumb person is the one who just entered Kaiser into search and didn't bother looking at the final destination to see if it even was a medical center.

Sosa(d)
  • Reply 51 of 70
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    mistercow wrote: »

Dam(n)
  • Reply 52 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,597member
    A demo of the Moto360 smartwatch is up now.
    [VIDEO]

IMO it's more suited for a male than female arm. At least Moto isn't trying to disguise it. They used a smallish woman for the demo.
  • Reply 53 of 70
    gatorguy wrote: »

[video.]

IMO it's more suited for a male than female arm. At least Moto isn't trying to disguise it. They used a smallish woman for the demo.

That is surprisingly accurate to their original photoshopped designs, although we don't know how well it will work which by no small factor includes the battery life and ease of charging. It's probably the nicest looking physical design and U as I really like the round displayI, but I still say it's wrong. Too big, too slow, trying to copy too many smartphone features which leads to a poor experience. I really disliked the speed in which the display wakes although "OK, Google" seemed to work fast, which I assume was just sent via BT to an Android-based phone as it should be.
  • Reply 54 of 70
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Car companies move so slow that google is too late, if most of the big company have already begun working with iOS they are not about to change since it required all kinds of approvals to develop a car an implement new feature those company are most likely committed Apple for a good long time. They are not going to offer users android of iOS, it will be iOS and Android will have to wait or wait to someone hacks it into a car.

Also notice most of the companies on the list are after market products not the main auto companies or the suppliers of nav and entertianment system. Also the aftermark system really have not future since your can not replace the factory systems like you could in the past.

• Reply 55 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,597member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Car companies move so slow that google is too late, if most of the big company have already begun working with iOS they are not about to change since it required all kinds of approvals to develop a car an implement new feature those company are most likely committed Apple for a good long time. They are not going to offer users android of iOS, it will be iOS and Android will have to wait or wait to someone hacks it into a car.

Also notice most of the companies on the list are after market products not the main auto companies or the suppliers of nav and entertianment system. Also the aftermark system really have not future since your can not replace the factory systems like you could in the past.

A few of the companies are aftermarket such as Pioneer and Alpine who announced they were also doing Carplay units. Most partners are manufacturers, nearly 30 of 'em.
    http://www.openautoalliance.net/#members
  • Reply 56 of 70
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    Wait, so Samsung isn't going with Tizen? Or are they going to release two watch models running two operating systems?
  • Reply 57 of 70
    maestro64 wrote: »

In no way do I see that as the case. In fact, having to set up a system that allows Apple to overlay its CarPlay UI from the iPhone on the in-dash display means that the work is mostly done for Android or whomever else comes along.

From what I can tell it's mostly just video out with some basic inputs that will connext into the physical buttons (like with a generic videl game controller) and/or the display's touch UI.

Note that the first automakers to commit to CarPlay have already committed to Android Auto.
  • Reply 58 of 70
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It's big, but I kind of like the interface. It's the first smart watch that I've seen that's at least a little intriguing.

• Reply 59 of 70
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Not exactly, 'I must run out and buy it'. 

• Reply 60 of 70
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Not exactly, 'I must run out and buy it'. 

I guess Getz is not going to get it. We got it :lol: