Apple heads for home: Why HomeKit may not bring an 'iLight' or 'iLock,' but a new Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tenly View Post

Such a lack of imagination! I think that those suggesting that Apple TV will be the 'hub' of the whole system are also off-base.

There is a difference between imagination and fantasy. 

For one, iBeacons don't detect where you are. It is exactly the opposite. Your iOS app can take actions depending on its relationship to an iBeacon location, but if all you are interested in doing is telling a digital hub where you are, you wouldn't need an iBeacon, you would simply allow the app running location services on the iOS device to tell the digital hub themselves using WiFi.

Your fantasy automation solution sounds surprisingly like the proprietary systems that are already available for tens of thousands of dollars. The entire purpose of Homekit is to allow diverse manufacturers to integrate their control apps within the Homekit environment but the appliance and the control software will be discrete. Multiple devices from the same manufacturer or partrner may be able to communicate among themselves but I definitely don't see Apple getting involved with the operation of the devices, only allowing the method of access to third party developers.

As I mentioned in the previous post, the main challenge for Apple is to enforce security. A system needs to be implemented such that Internet access can traverse the private network topography which is isolated with dynamic IPs, DHCP and firewalls that would normally prevent remote access. Fortunately Apple has a lot experience with this problem using Apple ID, similar to how Back to My Mac works.

People who think that Apple will attempt to corral all of the thousands of different manufacturers and will synchronize all events into an integrated management system are really deluding themselves. That is what proprietary systems do. Apple is not going to get that involved with the intimate details of each manufacturer's app. Sorry, that is just not going to happen, at least not right away. Potentially, if you were running a home server, appliances could theoretically update their status for other appliances to monitor but that would not be the default as it would require a server which many people are not going to be able to manage.

That said, I think it may be possible that an additional security layer of operability will be necessary. A series of safety scenarios may require override commands. For example if a carbon monoxide situation is detected perhaps the HVAC would turn on the fan and turn off all heating, Likewise if a smoke condition was detected the HVAC would turn off entirely to avoid fanning any flames or recirculating smoke throughout the house..

• Reply 42 of 77
    tenly wrote: »
    How about a line of automation-enabled devices that also include beacons so that your system can determine nearly exactly where you are within your home? And who else is home and where they are within the home. Of course this would assume that every member of the family is carrying their iPhone or wearing their iWatch at all times, but it opens the door to all kinds of possibilities.

I nearly choked when I read others claim that a collection of dedicated apps for each 'gizmo' is the Utopia of home automation. Such a lack of imagination! I think that those suggesting that Apple TV will be the 'hub' of the whole system are also off-base. Apple TV will hopefully be able to participate in your home automation setup, and make it better, but I think it will do so as an optional member component of the system as opposed to its hub.

Voice control will be a nice touch for adhoc requests, but the true magic will come from a system that learns our routines, anticipates what comes next and just does it (or offers to do it) - without having to ask for it! A system that works behind the scenes to maximize our energy savings. A system that can respond to combinations of multiple, possibly unrelated events - (like weather, temperature, a doorbell press, a motion detected, an alarm sensor triggered, a family member arriving or departing, a pet with a smart collar entering a room, my location within the house, who else is in the house and where they are within the house, an urgent e-mail arriving, etcetera, etcetera). The possibilities truly are endless and limited only be imagination! I personally can't wait to see what kind of smart-home solutions this technology enables.

Meh. It'll just annoy you when it anticipates wrongly. Sorry to pour cold water on your enthusiasm.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    frood wrote: »
    inteliusq wrote: »

So Homekit is basically a universal remote.

I don't see it that way.  There are many TV makers, and thousands of models.  The universal remote attempts to be the best compromise that tries to work with all of them.  Trying to find your specific 'code' is a pain in the butt procedure, and you usually end up with roughly 8473728291 buttons that you don't use for your system.

Apple is kind of doing the same thing, except exactly the opposite.  They are defining what would be the best most awesome remote ever.  With that in hand they are telling the manufacturers 'You are free to build whatever devices you want, but it has to work with our remote and meet our defined standards.'

Interesting to watch how this plays out.  Will they insist on 'Apple exclusivity' or would a lamp manufacturer be free to build a lamp that is compliant with both the Apple and Google systems?

Roughly 8473728291 buttons?

Roughly 8473728290 buttons, maybe. No need to be so precise.
  • Reply 44 of 77
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There is a difference between imagination and fantasy. 

For one, iBeacons don't detect where you are. It is exactly the opposite. Your iOS app can take actions depending on its relationship to an iBeacon location, but if all you are interested in doing is telling a digital hub where you are, you wouldn't need an iBeacon, you would simply allow the app running location services on the iOS device to tell the digital hub themselves using WiFi.

Your fantasy automation solution sounds surprisingly like the proprietary systems that are already available for tens of thousands of dollars. The entire purpose of Homekit is to allow diverse manufacturers to integrate their control apps within the Homekit environment but the appliance and the control software will be discrete. 

If I had a house full of iBeacons, I'm pretty sure Location Services on my phone would be able to triangulate a very accurate position within my home.  If there's an easier way than using beacons, that's great.

As for the rest of the fantasy, I'm not suggesting that we're going to get there this year - and I'm definitely not suggesting that Apple will be the ones to create the actual logic or intelligence.  That seems much more likely to be provided via a third party or parties - at least initially.   Unless my understanding is *completely* wrong, HomeKit will give developers the ability to talk to all connected devices without through simple API's instead of a myriad of proprietary (or just different) interfaces.  They will be able to query the system for a camera, or a thermostat and then query that device for it's capabilities and then interface with it without having to know who the manufacturer is or what the device model is and which control protocols that particular camera uses.  Obviously if you buy a camera, it will ship with software from the manufacturer that will let you control it/use it, etc.  That's what we have today and for the most part things are silo'd.  

Maybe an example would help.  Today, it would be difficult for a third party developer to build an app that uses motion detection from a front door camera to detect that someone is arriving home and then turn on the air conditioning.  It would be difficult, because that app would have to contain built-in knowledge of how to communicate with every camera ever made and every thermostat ever made.  Not impossible, but really difficult.  With homekit, the same app becomes super-easy because HomeKit maintains those libraries and that knowledge - so the third party app just needs to know there's a camera and a thermostat.  The app logic becomes extremely simple - almost to the point where a single line of code could do it -  ( if camera.motion = "True" then thermostat.airconditioning = "On" ).

So, I stand by my original fantasy!  HomeKit will allow third party developers to create some truly useful, amazing and imaginative control solutions using any mix and match assortment of home automation components.

• Reply 45 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tenly View Post

Today, it would be difficult for a third party developer to build an app that uses motion detection from a front door camera to detect that someone is arriving home and then turn on the air conditioning.  It would be difficult, because that app would have to contain built-in knowledge of how to communicate with every camera ever made and every thermostat ever made.  Not impossible, but really difficult.  With homekit, the same app becomes super-easy because HomeKit maintains those libraries and that knowledge - so the third party app just needs to know there's a camera and a thermostat.  The app logic becomes extremely simple - almost to the point where a single line of code could do it -  ( if camera.motion = "True" then thermostat.airconditioning = "On" ).

Good point, however, the security conflict rules would not allow that to happen because the default AC app and camera app were already in control. The way I imagine it is that Homekit on iOS would allow for themes or scenarios. You set conditions which will execute commands in sequence. For example the air conditioner should not turn on if some neighborhood door hanger ad drop off guy approaches your door. Rather, when YOU approach the door your iOS device will start up a preprogrammed scenario.

• Reply 46 of 77
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    mstone wrote: »
    The reason I think the AE is a better hub is that it has security - because it is already a router and firewall. Security is really the only job it would need to do. It would simply have a plist of the approved Apple IDs and match them up with the permissions to access the various devices. The iOS device will then communicate directly with the appliance. No middle man required in the control part. This is obvious to me because there is no way for the router/hub to know all of the capabilities of the appliance, how could it possibly be the one issuing commands?

What I could see is an iOS app that organizes the collection of factory control softwares on the device so that your home automation is all in one screen.

A couple of things:

FIRST

The scope of HomeKit is much broader than controlling a few devices -- the AE doesn't have the storage to do this. HomeKit involves:
    • multiple homes
    • multiple rooms
    • multiple devices
    • multiple states for some devices (on/off color, brightness, etc)
    • multiple zones
    • multiple triggers to cause actions based on time, sensor input (temperature, humidity ...) etc.

A typical room might contain 5-20 devices (we have 5 Hue bulbs in the Family room, 1 in each of the bedrooms and the hallway).

To that add wall switches, outlets, cameras mot ion detectors ...

With HomeKit you have granular control down to the settings of an individual device -- and/or you can slice and dice them into meaningful groups:

Siri: Set the light in the baby's room to a dim yellow ...

Siri: Setup the Beach House for guests arriving on July 2 by 3:00 PM ...

or anything in between

SECOND

Security is built into the HomeKit API. Device IDs never leave the premisses. All traffic is encrypted. HomeKit Control apps only work in the foreground.

It seems to be very thorough and well thought out.

Third

Thinking about it -- a 16GB iPod Touch @ $199 could outperform a 512MB AE at the same price -- just leave the iPod plugged in 24/7 with the display off.
  • Reply 47 of 77
    I'm surprised Samsung haven't brought out AwayKit yet.
  • Reply 48 of 77
    Could the new wearable be called iKit or even just Kit after Knight Rider?

Or maybe Kiti to appeal to the female crowd. You activate it by saying 'Hear, Kiti!'
  • Reply 49 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

A couple of things:

FIRST

The scope of HomeKit is much broader than controlling a few devices -- the AE doesn't have the storage to do this. HomeKit involves:

• multiple homes

• multiple rooms

• multiple devices

• multiple states for some devices (on/off color, brightness, etc)

• multiple zones

• multiple triggers to cause actions based on time, sensor input (temperature, humidity ...) etc.

•  

A typical room might contain 5-20 devices (we have 5 Hue bulbs in the Family room, 1 in each of the bedrooms and the hallway).

To that add wall switches, outlets, cameras mot ion detectors ...

With HomeKit you have granular control down to the settings of an individual device -- and/or you can slice and dice them into meaningful groups:

Siri: Set the light in the baby's room to a dim yellow ...

Siri: Setup the Beach House for guests arriving on July 2 by 3:00 PM ...

or anything in between

SECOND

Security is built into the HomeKit API. Device IDs never leave the premisses. All traffic is encrypted. HomeKit Control apps only work in the foreground.

It seems to be very thorough and well thought out.

There are basically two potential scenarios I can imagine. One, the AE just negotiates Internet access to allow iPhone and Apple ID to have control over an appliance using factory provided software. Or, two. A full fledged proprietary server will take control of the entire home as necessary and override individual default settings based on conditions. In scenario #1 the AE is sufficient because it is simply providing ACL. Scenario #2 requires a full server with total integration and cross communication between all appliances. I'm thinking we will see the former first and perhaps the latter eventually.

Also I see Homekit apps being able to work in the background automatically to create scenes using features of various manufacturer apps at the same time, such as unlock the door, turn on the lights, set the climate control, all from different manufacturers using the built in factory software executing commands in a sequence.

• Reply 50 of 77
    berndogberndog Posts: 90member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Is that OCD but with the letters arranged in the proper, alphabetical order?
    Someone who understands!
  • Reply 51 of 77
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    Having a coordinated setup with everything automated has advantages that folks have not considered thoroughly unless they have lived with it.

Energy saving potential

shades to protect furniture and fabrics in direct sunlight

water saving potential of sprinklers that know the weather forecast

Thermostats that adjust an extra +\- 2 degrees based on outside temperature make it feel much more comfortable.

Humidity triggered bathroom fans to keep the moisture down (avoiding more fungus)

Controls to particular room's speakers and lights and thermostat pop up on your iphone depending on which room you are in. (Controls that adapt to where you are).

Music preferences that can que up based on who is in the room

A garage door which closes automatically if you forget to close it and no activity is detected nearby for a period of time.

Alarm system that doesnt go off when it detects your roomba

Wearable device that you can message police with if an intruder has come in

Wearable wireless charging device to control your smarthome and tv and whatnot.

Ibeacons that transmit charging power to your mobile stuff.

Basically all this stuff is fast becoming a reality if it already isn't... The possibilities are limited only by the rational imagination.

Home alarm that turns on automatically when all members of the house have left.

Most naysayers will want/like this stuff eventually... Just a matter of time.
  • Reply 52 of 77
    overlordoverlord Posts: 59member

Two words: Disabled people.

HomeKit + Siri or HomeKit + any iDevice = amazing thing for disabled people.

• Reply 53 of 77
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I'm not convinced. To take your example - turning off my alarm, unlocking my door, turning on my hall lights and setting my thermostat take me next to no time; I'm not interested in automating them.

at night, in a remote cul de sac [security... I like to pre announce my arrival] with a kid in one arm and a bag of groceries in the other.... good for you. your interests define the market.... of one.

Security/alarm companies will beg to differ.  And what has apple done in every market it's entered since the iPod.  It's disintermediated someone

out of the flow... making it more effective to the end consumer.

I think the key item for home automation is 'effectiveness'  What takes you next to no time, may not be most effective for someone else.  who's setting your thermostat when your not there?  What happens when you and your life partner disagree on the tolerances of temp in your abode?  I can set my thermostat to 55/88deg when we are gone, and when I open our gate, the logic automatically resets to '68/78' for 20 minutes... then reverts to whatever the 'norm' is for that time period.  We save money, my S.O. feels comfortable, and I'm not yelled at for keeping the house at arctic/tropical temps.  

You're free to not buy into it, but I sense that HomeKit's will enable someone that already has a vision of 'what to do' to use HomeKit (the 1000 remotes, really home-communication... the internet coke machine meme) to make go beyond home automation (scripting common tasks), to home intelligence (something in the home 'thinking' and 'advising' you on how to make it better ("Dave.", "Yes Hal", "The temperature outside your life pod is approaching Zenith, you asked me to advise on this, as the temp is above your life norms.  I'm closing up the Bay Doors" "Thanks Hal, is the cat inside or outside the Pod?"  "Outside."  "Okay, if she comes back, open the Pod Bay doors, for her." "I will Dave, Have a good Trip." )

• Reply 54 of 77
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

Two words: Disabled people.

HomeKit + Siri or HomeKit + any iDevice = amazing thing for disabled people.

Or any working parent of 3.  Because After 2, both arms are disabled, 

• Reply 55 of 77

I'm not convinced. To take your example - turning off my alarm, unlocking my door, turning on my hall lights and setting my thermostat take me next to no time; I'm not interested in automating them.
    at night, in a remote cul de sac [security... I like to pre announce my arrival] with a kid in one arm and a bag of groceries in the other.... good for you. your interests define the market.... of one.

Security/alarm companies will beg to differ.  And what has apple done in every market it's entered since the iPod.  It's disintermediated someone
    out of the flow... making it more effective to the end consumer.

I think the key item for home automation is 'effectiveness'  What takes you next to no time, may not be most effective for someone else.  who's setting your thermostat when your not there?  What happens when you and your life partner disagree on the tolerances of temp in your abode?  I can set my thermostat to 55/88deg when we are gone, and when I open our gate, the logic automatically resets to '68/78' for 20 minutes... then reverts to whatever the 'norm' is for that time period.  We save money, my S.O. feels comfortable, and I'm not yelled at for keeping the house at arctic/tropical temps.  

You're free to not buy into it, but I sense that HomeKit's will enable someone that already has a vision of 'what to do' to use HomeKit (the 1000 remotes, really home-communication... the internet coke machine meme) to make go beyond home automation (scripting common tasks), to home intelligence (something in the home 'thinking' and 'advising' you on how to make it better ("Dave.", "Yes Hal", "The temperature outside your life pod is approaching Zenith, you asked me to advise on this, as the temp is above your life norms.  I'm closing up the Bay Doors" "Thanks Hal, is the cat inside or outside the Pod?"  "Outside."  "Okay, if she comes back, open the Pod Bay doors, for her." "I will Dave, Have a good Trip." )

Buy your S.O. a jumper and you'll save even more money by keeping the temp at arctic conditions.
  • Reply 56 of 77
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by InteliusQ View Post

no, your iPhone/iPad is already your universal remote. you just need load the specific UI apps from the OEM's/services you use/have installed that control your various home technologies - security systems, built-ins, smart gadgets, whatever - usually connected to your wifi. they can already access your other core iOS info they need, like your location (and weather?), with your specific permission. 

i have some of these, they work fine if well designed. there is certainly potential for more of them.

i really can't guess what HomeKit will add to what we can already do this way. have to see it in action. the general new features of iOS 8, like inter-app connections and maybe enabling Siri for some third party apps, could be utilized in such ways i suppose.

but the notion that regular folks will spend the time needed to program complex multi-systems "scenes" via HomeKit for various typical everyday home settings/activities is completely unrealistic. anyone that's ever tried that for some system's "scene" discovers it is anything but simple. sure, there are myriad possibilities - that's the problem. it becomes tedious. only total tech heads are ever going to want to go through that process.

and the sic-fi movie cliche of walking around your house giving verbal commands to all its gadgets is just comic book stuff. most of time it is easier and more helpful to choose among options (do you remember them all otherwise?) by just pressing a button.

have folks seen the current Xbox commercial - with a guy controlling his TV etc. by saying "Xbox .... [do whatever in correct words]"? now who really wants to walk around their house doing that? especially if there are others around ...

• Reply 57 of 77
    alfiejr wrote: »
    inteliusq wrote: »

but the notion that regular folks will spend the time needed to program complex multi-systems "scenes" via HomeKit for various typical everyday home settings/activities is completely unrealistic. anyone that's ever tried that for some system's "scene" discovers it is anything but simple. sure, there are myriad possibilities - that's the problem. it becomes tedious. only total tech heads are ever going to want to go through that process.

This is exactly the beauty of HomeKit -- "regular folks" will not have to spend the time setting up their "scenes" -- savvy developers will write apps that do that for "regular folks" ...

Initially apps and accessories [devices] will require some participation by "ordinary folks". Consider the current Phillips Hue setup:
    • Screw in : Hue bulbs fit into your existing sockets. Just screw them in and turn the light on at the wall switch. Simple.
    • Plug in : Power up your bridge. Connect it to your modem using the network cable provided. Wait for the three lights to come on.
    • Connect: Download the free app at meethue.com/app. Connect to the bridge. Find your bulbs. Name them. And you've got hue.

This is easier than setting up a oscillating fan fro CostCo.

But it will get even easier as the software and accessories become more sophisticated -- WiFiSLAM * and BTLE iBeacon technology will be able to automatically:
    • locate the accessories in whatever room of your house
    • identify the make model and characteristics of the accessories
    • connect to the accessories

* WiFiSlam tech will allow you to walk through your home with an iPhone and automatically create a floor plan.

Then based on similar or nearby devices:
    • establish default settings for the accessories
    • establish default schedules for the accessories
    • establish default monitoring for the accessories
    • establish default grouping for the accessories if warranted
    • establish default zoning for the accessories if warranted

And, finally notify the user of what was done -- asking for approval / override

Siri: "Mary, I see that you added a XYZ Camera in the baby's room -- if you wish, I'll set it up to ..."

How many "regular folks" does it take to setup an automated HomeKit home? The same amount of "regular folks" that it takes to screw in a light bulb!
  • Reply 58 of 77
    rs9rs9 Posts: 68member
    Siri....bring down my AC to 78 degrees
    Siri...any messages....
    Siri...feed the dog....
    Siri...any appointments; birthdays, etc ???
    Siri, tun on the backporch/pool lights...

Possible?
  • Reply 59 of 77
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This is exactly the beauty of HomeKit -- regular folks will not have to spend the time setting up their "scenes" -- savvy developers will write apps that do that for regular folks ...

Initially apps and accessories [devices] will require some participation by ab "ordinary folk". Consider the current Phillips Hue setup:

• Screw in : Hue bulbs fit into your existing sockets. Just screw them in and turn the light on at the wall switch. Simple.

• Plug in : Power up your bridge. Connect it to your modem using the network cable provided. Wait for the three lights to come on.

• Connect: Download the free app at meethue.com/app. Connect to the bridge. Find your bulbs. Name them. And you've got hue.

•  

But it will get even easier as the software and accessories become more sophisticated -- WiFiSLAM * and BTLE iBeacon technology will be able to automatically:

• locate the accessories automatically in whatever room of your house

•  

WiFiSlam tech will allow you to walk through your home with an iPhone and automatically create a floor plan.

• establish default zoning for the accessories

•  

Siri: "Mary, I see that you added a XYZ Camera in the baby's room -- if you wish, I'll set it up to ..."

Hoy many "ordinary folks" does it take to setup an automated HomeKit home? The same amount of "ordinary folks" that it takes to screw in a light bulb!

well ok. in fact i just got the Hue and set it up this weekend, so i get that. it's a really easy UI - even my wife quickly got into it (a surprise).

but then the only real difference is instead of multiple necessary individual 'bridge' units to plug into my wifi router for each/all gadgets, the ATV would support them all. which would be helpful, saving space and ethernet and power outlets and avoiding more wire spaghetti.

as to creating a logical house plan by just walking around (two levels), that would be nice but i'll believe that when i see it.

other simplifications would be using my basic contract info for all devices where needed, ok. but none of this is earth shattering.

• Reply 60 of 77
    alfiejr wrote: »
    This is exactly the beauty of HomeKit -- regular folks will not have to spend the time setting up their "scenes" -- savvy developers will write apps that do that for regular folks ...

Initially apps and accessories [devices] will require some participation by ab "ordinary folk". Consider the current Phillips Hue setup:
    •  

• locate the accessories automatically in whatever room of your house
    •  

WiFiSlam tech will allow you to walk through your home with an iPhone and automatically create a floor plan.

• establish default zoning for the accessories
    •  

Hoy many "ordinary folks" does it take to setup an automated HomeKit home? The same amount of "ordinary folks" that it takes to screw in a light bulb!

well ok. in fact i just got the Hue and set it up this weekend, so i get that. it's a really easy UI - even my wife quickly got into it (a surprise).

but then the only real difference is instead of multiple necessary individual 'bridge' units to plug into my wifi router for each/all gadgets, the ATV would support them all. which would be helpful, saving space and ethernet and power outlets and avoiding more wire spaghetti.

as to creating a logical house plan by just walking around (two levels), that would be nice but i'll believe that when i see it.

First build a map: the technology uses WiFiSLAM to monitor a multitude of WiFi signals (noise) from inside and out side a building -- it detects "fingerprint" similarities in the signals and is able to refine the outline of the building (AIR on Stanford campus).

at about 30:00 in

[VIDEO]

Once an existing map is known then ... this was done on an Android phone before Apple bought the company (WiFiSLAM needs special access to Location Services which were not, then, available to developers).

[VIDEO]

Google has a similar project, Tango ,that does a similar thing using a special device with 3D and IR cameras.

other simplifications would be using my basic contract info for all devices where needed, ok. but none of this is earth shattering.

Exactly ... None of this has to be earth shattering -- it just has to work!