Rumor: Parade of 'iPhone 6' mockups aren't final design, back panel will feature glass like 5s

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2014
While a glut of alleged "iPhone 6" mockups have suggested there will be lines cut out toward the top and bottom of the back panel on Apple's next handset, a new report claims those are just placeholders for small glass panels that will be included, in a design much like the iPhone 5s.

When Apple switched to an aluminum back panel with the iPhone 5, and kept that design for the current flagship iPhone 5s, the company needed to use glass at the top and bottom to serve as "windows" for the device's internal radios. A series of mockups out of the Far East claiming to show the design of Apple's anticipated "iPhone 6" have suggested that the company might simply have straight lines across the back, where those glass windows would be, made of an unknown material.

But a new report on Monday from Japanese newspaper Nikkei, first spotted by G for Games, claims that those lines only mark the places where the glass panels will eventually go in the final product. That would suggest that the back panel will look largely similar to the iPhone 5s.

The report could also explain why most mockups to date have strangely shown round camera flash parts. Apple switched to a pill-shaped dual-color "True Tone" flash starting with the iPhone 5s last year, a feature the company will likely continue to offer with this year's flagship model.'

One change to the design of the "iPhone 6" back panel, however, may be the Apple logo itself. Monday's report claimed that the logo will actually be cut out of the aluminum in Apple's next handset, which would be a change from the engraved logo on previous iPhones.

Finally, in a more questionable claim, the report said that the final design of the "iPhone 6" will sport curved glass. According to the newspaper, this would allow the display to blend more seamlessly into the curved sids of the handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    Back to the machine shop, mockup makers!
  • Reply 2 of 49
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Naturally! Adding to the confusion nicely -

• Reply 3 of 49
    Boo.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I never did believe those thick antenna bands would be in the final product. I wonder then if the back will look just like the current 5S. Or maybe it will be sapphire? I wouldn't mind seeing something different.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I hope all these companies, who are making these mock ups so they can design and sell their products when the new iphone comes out, get it complete wrong and have to scrap all their cheap stuff. In reality even if they are wrong they will try and sell it to idiots who do not know any better.

• Reply 6 of 49
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I really hope for a new look this year, the current design has not really changed since the iPhone 4.

And before people say that there is not much that Apple can do as the device has to have a screen etc taking up all the space I'd point out that if you compare the iPhone 4 to a 3GS no one could claim they were the same device.
  • Reply 7 of 49

This is starting to sound a little more like it. I'm betting on Apple using sapphire. 

• Reply 8 of 49
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Competing rumors and mock-ups. A pox on all of them!
  • Reply 9 of 49
    jax44jax44 Posts: 79member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I never did believe those thick antenna bands would be in the final product. I wonder then if the back will look just like the current 5S. Or maybe it will be sapphire? I wouldn't mind seeing something different.

I think with the rounded edges of the 6, that sapphire would be well suited for the upper and lower antenna windows.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member

Although I like the 5 and 5s industrial design, something different would be nice. My hope would be that the top and bottom back panels would be Liquidmetal, not glass, allowing for radio frequency transparency while retaining an all-metal back. Glass is a nice touch, but never quite seemed to be the ideal choice for the rear of the iPhone chassis.

However, ff these mockups are accurate with the exception that the final product will include glass back panels, the inserted back glass may have some curvature to fit with the curved sides of the chassis. That might improve the "hand feel" for those who prefer a rounder more form fitting chassis. 

• Reply 11 of 49
    heli0sheli0s Posts: 65member
    Not sure I understand: if it's supposed to have a "glass back panel" how will it look similar to the 5S, which as an aluminum back panel? More like 4/4S?
  • Reply 12 of 49
    chazbcnchazbcn Posts: 26member

Man, I hope this report is true. I really hate those line breaks on the back of current mockups!

• Reply 13 of 49
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Whew!  Thank god.

Thing looked like a prop from "Tron".

(Now, if only they will retain the useful flat edge, I'll be truly happy)

• Reply 14 of 49
    ralphmouthralphmouth Posts: 192member

The iPhone 6 is going to have an edge to edge Sapphire glass screen. I'm sure Apple has tested it and confirmed that it will not scratch/break more easily than a metal side.

• Reply 15 of 49
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member
    Hmm. But there are a couple of legit looking photos of a back with the Apple logo cutout and pretty convincing machined innards and intricate clips and attachments with the antenna bands..

Maybe they heard what us whiners on Apple rumor sites were saying and said wth, "lets get rid of the bands so these people can move on with their lives." It was pretty traumatizing to some of us..
  • Reply 16 of 49

Honestly, until I see it in person, Jony Ive's team has the benefit of the doubt for me regarding any hardware design.

Even though I will admit that the mockups didn't look good to me, I can't think of a single hardware design misfire from modern Apple. I even like and own (and its still in use!) the iPod Fatty (Nano 3rd gen) that a lot of people like to point to as an Apple design mistake.

Really, people, wait to see the final product (in person!) before you get upset over anything leaked. Life is too short to go haywire over rumors and mockups!

• Reply 17 of 49
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    This next iPhone will look great in black.
    Some people like myself where surprised with the overall shape of the iPhone 4 and 5. I liked them, but they were more masculine than the iPhone that came before. This rounded shape looks great and fits in the evolution of iPhones.

Beveled glass and a rounded form factor will make it extremely successful. And with iOS 8 and the apps that take advantage of it, this will be incredible.

In retrospect, the most boring evolutions to iOS were iOS 4 to 5. iOS 7 and iOS 8 are much more interesting imo.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But a new report on Monday from Japanese newspaper Nikkei, first spotted by G for Games, claims that those lines only mark the places where the glass panels will eventually go in the final product. That would suggest that the back panel will look largely similar to the iPhone 5s.

The report could also explain why most mockups to date have strangely shown round camera flash parts. Apple switched to a pill-shaped dual-color "True Tone" flash starting with the iPhone 5s last year, a feature the company will likely continue to offer with this year's flagship model.'

(Above sentence bolded by me.)

AppleInsider seems strangely fixated on the mockups having round vs. pill shaped holes for the flash. Its mentioned in every single leak/mockup story...even going so far as calling the veracity of some leaks into question because of the round holes....as if Apple couldn't re-engineer the "True Tone" flash into a differently shaped enclosure.

Anyway, as I read the new report, the parts that will be replaced are the plastic looking bands, not the metal top parts with the camera/flash cutouts. So this report says nothing about the flash holes, or am I missing something?

• Reply 19 of 49
    I'm thinking these "mockups" were new iPods then?
  • Reply 20 of 49
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Not sure about curved glass. So far it failed...Apple wouldn't play that gimmick game.