Sharp LCD plant revelation casts doubt on Apple's use of IGZO displays

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Apple has a monopsony on the LCD's, not a monopoly.

But they're buying them from Sharp.

• Reply 22 of 33
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    The comment from sharp make no sense. First you have the statement that apple has 100% of the capacity at their #1 plant then make statement about #2 can pick up the volatility of plant 1. They saying Apple is so much business it needs an entire plant but Apple business is not predicable. Those two statement do not seem to go together when you look at Apple business, their business is not up and down.

I take that to mean that Apples demand at times exceeds the capacity of the dedicated plant.

On a side note this is speculation about nothing. It is pretty obvious they don't know what Apples plant was retooled for and make no mistake it was retooled. They could be making displays from unobtanium for all we know.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Perhaps going slightly off-topic: does anyone know anything about Japan? I only know a few Japs, but they are very friendly; I always get the impression that they are a friendly race.

It's amazing how they've warmed to western culture, especially classical music.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Perhaps going slightly off-topic: does anyone know anything about Japan? I only know a few Japs, but they are very friendly; I always get the impression that they are a friendly race.

I have no problems with using derogatory terms for groups of people that I don't like, but I do like the Japanese, and it's probably not a good idea to use the term "Japs", as I'm pretty sure that it's viewed as offensive by many, unless it is somebody's intent to offend of course.

• Reply 25 of 33
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

...it's probably not a good idea to use the term "Japs", as I'm pretty sure that it's viewed as offensive by many...

I'm personally of the belief that racial slurs should be repurposed to everyone's benefit. Since they're used to refer to the worst of each race already, it should be perfectly acceptable to do so for the purpose of introducing an element of embarrassment (and subsequently a challenge to be better people).

See:

• Reply 26 of 33
    apple ][ wrote: »
    There have been rumors predicting IGZO displays for Apple devices for years now!

It's the unicorn of technologies.
  • Reply 27 of 33

I have no problems with using derogatory terms for groups of people that I don't like, but I do like the Japanese, and it's probably not a good idea to use the term "Japs", as I'm pretty sure that it's viewed as offensive by many, unless it is somebody's intent to offend of course.

I was just being casual and using it as a shorthand, though I did slightly wonder whether someone might raise it as offensive. Brits don't mind being called that, in my experience. On the other hand, the shorthand for Pakistanis is well-known as a derogatory term.

I’ll call them the Japanese. As TS says, I think context counts for something. My post was obviously very positive and could hardly be construed as derogatory to the Japanese. On the other hand, I could say those stupid Japs and use it that way. I thought my use of Japs was being friendly.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">...it's probably not a good idea to use the term "Japs", as I'm pretty sure that it's viewed as offensive by many...</span>

I'm personally of the belief that racial slurs should be repurposed to everyone's benefit. Since they're used to refer to the worst of each race already, it should be perfectly acceptable to do so for the purpose of introducing an element of embarrassment (and subsequently a challenge to be better people).

See:
    <iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/f3PJF0YE-x4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Yeah. The problem with words is that there will always be insults. Seemingly innocent words have become offensive and vice versa. Trying to eliminate racial slurs won't work as a consequence.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

I was just being casual and using it as a shorthand, though I did slightly wonder whether someone might raise it as offensive. Brits don't mind being called that, in my experience. On the other hand, the shorthand for Pakistanis is well-known as a derogatory term.

I’ll call them the Japanese. As TS says, I think context counts for something. My post was obviously very positive and could hardly be construed as derogatory to the Japanese. On the other hand, I could say those stupid Japs and use it that way. I thought my use of Japs was being friendly.

I didn't believe that you were using it intentionally in a bad way, and I do know where you are located, so I assumed that it was merely a case of certain words being acceptable in one location, while in another location, those same words have quite the opposite meaning.

Another good example of words having different meanings is the Pakistani example that you gave. I don't believe that the shorthand of that word is equally offensive here in the States as it is in the UK. I also find it strange that Pakistanis are sometimes referred to as "Asians" in UK media, so various words certainly do have different meanings, depending upon where somebody is located in the world.

• Reply 30 of 33

I didn't believe that you were using it intentionally in a bad way, and I do know where you are located, so I assumed that it was merely a case of certain words being acceptable in one location, while in another location, those same words have quite the opposite meaning.

Another good example of words having different meanings is the Pakistani example that you gave. I don't believe that the shorthand of that word is equally offensive here in the States as it is in the UK. I also find it strange that Pakistanis are sometimes referred to as "Asians" in UK media, so various words certainly do have different meanings, depending upon where somebody is located in the world.

I think I read that amongst the yufe of today, the Pakistani shorthand might not be so bad. But for my generation, it was a biggy.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    bobjohnson wrote: »
    There is no evidence to suggest that this is the case. Soneira is the only one who has said that, and he postulated a bizarre scenario by which Apple is actually using two different TFT designs in the same product. He's full of shit, and the evidence against him only grows stronger with this article.

I tend to agree about him, and I sometimes think he's in Samsung's pocket.

But do we know from some other more trustworthy source what technology is being used in the mini retina? Seems I remember he determined the Air was IGZO by current draw measurement alone. How else would one tell?
  • Reply 32 of 33
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

iPhone 4/4s/5/5s with same size of bezels too. Why no one complained? You're so addicted to those bezel-less non-sense things. Bezel-less adds ZERO benefit to the phone, but increases the breakability when dropped. When did Apple change something without adding benefit to it? Bezel-less is nothing more than just the look.

That might make sense except for the fact that all iOS devices are already edge-to-edge glass... Not sure how making the display edge-to-edge would make it more breakable than it already is?

• Reply 33 of 33

Yeah. The problem with words is that there will always be insults. Seemingly innocent words have become offensive and vice versa. Trying to eliminate racial slurs won't work as a consequence.

That's the point. Keep 'em as insults. Insults tailored to race, even. Simply remove the arbitrary and hypocritical limitation that people of other races "cannot" use said words. Only among morons are they used, even today, to refer to entire races; they should continue to exist, referring only to the worst thereof–the detractors therefrom.