Apple 'overhauling' the backend for its Maps service, hints at 'big plans' to come

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47

If you'd like to use the built-in Apple Maps app on OS X instead of Google Maps on webpages, I came across a handy Safari extension that redirects all Google Maps clicks to Apple Maps.

http://sidetree.com/extensions.html#ReMap

• Reply 42 of 47

^ thanks for the link. Love it!!

anything to keep google away from my digital life helps.

I hope this extension can keep the map links from even sending a hint of a location request to the nasty googles.

Carl Spackler: License to kill google by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill google at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.

• Reply 43 of 47
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Of the half-dozen or so errors I've reported I don't think any of them have been fixed. I've certainly not gotten any feedback from Apple as I recall being reported as option for some.

2) I needed to use StreetView just the other day. I don't use it much but when I do I have to pop into Google for that and I hate their new web interface for Google Maps.

3) Apple made a big deal about FlyOver but the number of cities that are listed as FlyOver accessible is still very small after 2 years, which only includes when it was available in an iOS beta, not when the company they bought was using this tech. Objectively, if this was Google, Samsung, MS, anyone else I think we'd call it gimmicky and weak.

1- My impression is that they are making corrections faster in the US, or maybe mainly in the big cities. I know some small places where I sent corrections to Apple two years ago that still haven't been corrected. Tried again this month but still no change.

2- I love streetview. I don't use it very often, but when I do it's either to look for a particular place before going there or to discover a city I've never been to : in that case, I can spend an hour exploring and it's great.

3- I agree. It's very cool and interesting for discovery too, but it's not very useful for actual search for the moment. And yes, they do need to add more cities !

EDIT

I take back what I said in 3- . Tokyo ?! How long has it been in flyover?? That's great ! They are adding cities slowly, but so did Goggle with Streetview. Eventually it will cover the whole globe.

• Reply 44 of 47
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

iWatch + Maps = ?

iWatchMaps. 

• Reply 45 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmm ...

I just checked, and there have been only a few changes to MapKit this year for iOS and OS X -- none for iOS 8 or Yosemite.

Then there were the rumors that Maps weren't discussed at WWDC because of middle management problems in the maps group.

Then the leak of the "Flyover Tours" feature ...

Now, this "overhaul" ...

I suspect that there are hooks in iOS and Yosemite to support enhanced Maps feature -- but the APIs are not included (or not exposed to developers),

It;s 2 months until the "fall release" of the new OSes ...

Apple could add Maps enhancements to the betas with little problem ... I wonder!

You may be right. You may be wrong. Wonder away. 

• Reply 46 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Google even has underwater "street view" so they're definitely not messing around when it comes to mapping.

Is this for getting around Atlantis?

Almost. It's for the Lost City of Android.

• Reply 47 of 47

So I reported a problem July 2nd, with the words "Stevens Pass Ski " and it showed a location in downtown Seattle, they just notified me today July 8th (which I think is a cool feature that we get notified when our problems update) and they have since removed the downtown location. But still if you search Stevens Pass ski ,it shows a chalet approximately near the hill. I just tried Google maps Stevens pass ski resort and it shows it, and i think its cool how it has the runs on there as well. But it's not found on apple maps. Hope this will be part of the change.