Apple's Cook says iOS 8 voice messaging a key feature, prompts speculation of inclusion in 'iWatch'

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

I have a hard time believing any analyst's claims of what he was told in a closed door meeting. I'll believe this when I see it or at least see a video of Tim Cook saying it. 

Until then, it's just another rumor. A good one but still a rumor

• Reply 62 of 66
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    So instead of leaving a voice text that would take just a couple seconds to respond to a text I need to go into my phone app, locate the person to call, initiate the call, wait for it to ring through while hoping they don't pick up because I only want to leave a message, and then leave the message, then disconnect the call? That sounds more convenient to you?

It doesn't sound much more difficult. I assume you will closing iMessage when you have sent your voice message and locked your phone when you have done?
  • Reply 63 of 66
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    crosslad wrote: »
    It doesn't sound much more difficult. I assume you will closing iMessage when you have sent your voice message and locked your phone when you have done?

I can do it without even accessing the app but even if I do access the app to respond it's faster than even the time for the phone to even connect, which doesn't include all the rings and their voicemail messages. I reserve the archaic phone calls when I need to have a live conversation in real time that can't be time shifted. With friends and family that typically means emergencies or in-depth conversation. Your argument is more ridiculous than claiming that iMessage is pointless because email exists.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    No problem.

And, yeah, I agree.......I was pretty stoked as Craig debuted the 'voice txt msg' feature at the keynote. September can't come soon enough.
    Wow, that works great - I just tried it. Thanks for that!

BTW, I got the gist of the article wrong and thought the topic was about converting speech to text and sending as a text message.
    The ability to send an actual recording of one's voice as a message is indeed an advancement that I look forward to using in the upcoming iOS.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    seacagoseacago Posts: 1member
    I think it's great that Apple is working on incorporating this into their new IOS update. MSTONE has a point when s/he said "if you are walking it might be easier to send a voice message". We tend to miss out on so much of the world from hoovering our head down into our device to send a text or shoot an email, with this function we can actually take in what's around us with the convenience of having things taken care of by simply talking, all while enjoying that scenic view wherever you are.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,740member
    Anyway would be cool to send messages while driving ;)

("...Yes, nice to mole you... MEET you! Nice to meet your mole! Don't say mole... I said mole.")