Apple invention changes iPhone user authentication settings based on location

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    evilution wrote: »
    Yes, some TomTom devices had a passcode you had to put in to use the device or to change any settings unless you were in a set location (usually at home).

I know Garmin has offered location-based unlocking for years now, at least since 2007. I don't recall it being a TomTom feature too but it could be. In any event unlocking your electronic device via a specific location is hardly new. Obviously Apple believes they have a unique and patent-worthy implementation of setting user permissions based on geographic location. Way too soon to know if the USPTO agrees but they may.

EDIT: The feature is described in this 2006 Garmin Owners Manual.
    static.garmincdn.com/pumac/1184_OwnersManual.pdf
  • Reply 22 of 27
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Could see a 10 digit letter and number to 4 digit number make since for security reasons. Better then the google where if your watch is near it's unlocked idea.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Some of this can be done by 3rd-party developers using iBeacons, TouchID, Extensions. Handoff and HomeKit. *

Like I said, when I started the project, none of this was available and Apple had restricted api's. I'm glad Apple is opening things up a bit and providing advanced capabilities. What I was working on had nothing to do with controlling the typical home, it had to do with controlling the capabilities of an iOS device depending on where it was located. If you look at the second graphic, first diagram, that's exactly what I was working on (location-based security). The ability to automatically turn certain features off and change certain settings on a managed iPhone without any interaction by the user and without the ability of the user to make any changes. If you read into this patent, I believe you'll understand that Apple isn't just providing a way for someone to control their own house but for managed devices to be restricted as well. I'm not against this if used in the proper environment.

One environment that has nothing to do with my former job is in schools. Think about a teacher being able to change settings of all their student's phones during class time and especially during tests. They would actually have to pay attention. Once class is over and the kids leave their room, their settings are returned to normal. What Apple has patented has the ability to do this, except in Los Angeles where kids will have lots of fun using Android and Microsoft devices without any of this control.

• Reply 24 of 27
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I know Garmin has offered location-based unlocking for years now, at least since 2007. I don't recall it being a TomTom feature too but it could be. In any event unlocking your electronic device via a specific location is hardly new. Obviously Apple believes they have a unique and patent-worthy implementation of setting user permissions based on geographic location. Way too soon to know if the USPTO agrees but they may.

EDIT: The feature is described in this 2006 Garmin Owners Manual.

static.garmincdn.com/pumac/1184_OwnersManual.pdf

Yeah, but Apple's doing it now, so it gets a new patent.  What prior art?  There's no such thing where Apple's concerned.

And of course there's the whole obviousness aspect, it's not like this wouldn't be obvious to a trained monkey, let alone someone skilled in the art. 

This country needs real patent reform.

• Reply 25 of 27
    The location-based security levels is not a new idea, chances of this application being allowed as a patent are extremely low. This looks more like a PR buzz campaign.
    Google has issued patents on location-based security levels. Also, my company Secure Access Technologies.com has numerous issued patents in the area.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    id628id628 Posts: 2member
    I've been doing this for YEARS with Android and the Tasker app plus a couple of extensions. Nothing patentable here, way too much prior art.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    id628id628 Posts: 2member

I've been doing this for YEARS with Android and the Tasker app plus a couple of extensions.  Nothing patentable here, way too much prior art.