Apple's iOS gains ground on Android in US as iPhone retains smartphone lead

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I believe this is the longest post in the history of AI except the article itself. Damn. No wonder you've had only 2 posts so far.

the TL;DR of it all:

Samsung, a multi-conglomerate who makes things to make money, is dominating the Android Market and is pressing at Apple's Heels at the high end in high end markets, But this competition bodes well for Apple, as it gives them a capable competitor which oils their creative machine.  

And Brent is a recent Apple Convert via the iPhone.

And to me...

Apple is doing well in the established markets, where they are the preferred 'next' smartphone, after people who bought 'a cheap smartphone, realize that dumb/feature phones and cheap smartphones aren't a value proposition anymore.

To me, it's all about ecosystem.  Once Samsung sells a Samsung-universe, where the IoT of their microwaves and container ships and TVs and Galaxy Phones all share a DNA that allows them to boast some level of intelligence, and have a negotiated supply of content that feeds the meter after the hardware is sold, in a manner that is complimentary to their customer's economic palate,  then they have brought their game to the point where they have eclipsed Google and are pressing Amazon and Apple for market dominance.

Till then, these sorts of reports are, 'who cares.'  Apple is quite happy selling everything they make to most online-consumer 30% of the world, as long as one vendor doesn't have a ecosystem that locks up 60% of the market.   While it's android and not Nokia or Microsoft,  I don't think Apple's long view was ever about controlling a majority of billions a year in handset sales.

• Reply 22 of 51
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hexclock View Post

It's also interesting that MSFT stock has risen considerably since the beginning of 2013, despite the fact that this chart shows that WP OS is going absolutely nowhere.

Probably because Ballmer is gone.

• Reply 23 of 51
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    To me, it's all about ecosystem.  Once Samsung sells a Samsung-universe, where the IoT of their microwaves and container ships and TVs and Galaxy Phones all share a DNA that allows them to boast some level of intelligence, and have a negotiated supply of content that feeds the meter after the hardware is sold, in a manner that is complimentary to their customer's economic palate,  then they have brought their game to the point where they have eclipsed Google and are pressing Amazon and Apple for market dominance.

Till then, these sorts of reports are, 'who cares.'  Apple is quite happy selling everything they make to most online-consumer 30% of the world, as long as one vendor doesn't have a ecosystem that locks up 60% of the market.   While it's android and not Nokia or Microsoft,  I don't think Apple's long view was ever about controlling a majority of billions a year in handset sales.

At last count... I think Samsung only has 35% of the Android market and 30% of the total smartphone market.

While they are the largest single Android vendor... there is still the other 65% of Android that is not Samsung.

Maybe Samsung could pull away from Google and create their own platform (Tizen or whatever)

That might be interesting.

But Apple's platform with only 15% of the smartphone market will still get more attention from developers, accessory makers, etc :)
  • Reply 24 of 51
    davestalldavestall Posts: 48member
    "iPhone retains smartphone lead"

You can print anything now I see even if the statement conflicts with the facts. Android still leads iphone by a significant margin, as the data in this report reflects.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    davestall wrote: »

You can print anything now I see even if the statement conflicts with the facts. Android still leads iphone by a significant margin, as the data in this report reflects.

Thing is, Android is not a thing. Do this, stack up all the phones sold in the US by manufacturer or model. If you do it by manufacturer, the tallest stack will be Apple. If you do it by model the two or three tallest piles will be iPhones. Now, please explain to us how the headline is misleading.

If your going to troll, at least try a bit harder.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

??  umm... Samsung's 0.8% growth over 3-month period is a sign that Samsung just had its "peak", but a teeny-weeny 0.6% gain is an indication of  Apple's market dominance -- or sucking up market share?  

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

It kinda is when you consider Samsung sells, even here in the U.S. market, a lot of cheaper phones.  So it's not exactly a battle of how much money consumers spend on each brand.  If that was the stakes, Apple would trounce Samsung by a much wider margin and would have shown a lot more growth this last quarter as well.

I realize there's a lot of animosity on both sides of the Samsung/Apple argument, and even though it is hard to agree on here, the reality is both Samsung and Apple are doing well.  It is at the expense of Blackberry, and Android manufacturers other than Samsung and Motorolla (who remained flat).

Samsung's % share is much smaller than Apples, but they grew by a larger physical amount.  Double Apples growth rate- on top of that the S5 was released in mid April... so it only got to contribute for half the time period that is covered.  It did impressively well for a phone that is basically a 'yawner' and an incremental upgrade over the S4.

The fact that Apple continues to grow even without a new entry is just flat out impressive too.  This was the start of the lull, since the next three month period will be 'peak lull' Apple will likely lose share or remain flat.  Don't Panic.  It's not a bad thing and is quite normal, and yes the Android fan club will be spouting victory and doom for Apple.  Then the 6 will go out and the sharp peak will give Apple a really strong gain and then Android will be the one that's 'doomed' again =)

• Reply 27 of 51
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brent McAnulty View Post

Competition, at least in terms of marketshare, it good for the consumers as it creates pressure to innovate and produce better products...

I believe this is the longest post in the history of AI except the article itself. Damn. No wonder you've had only 2 posts so far.

Gee then thanks for quoting the whole thing just so we could check it!

• Reply 28 of 51

These articles are always so confusing since they talk about a couple different things.

Apple was the best-selling smartphone manufacturer in the US... comprising 41.9% of smartphone sales in the US. The rest are as follows: Samsung 28.7%, LG 6.5%, Motorola 6.3%, HTC 5.1%

So yes... "the iPhone" is the smartphone leader in the US... since every phone Apple sells is named "iPhone"... and no other vendor sold more than Apple last quarter.

The other side of the coin is platforms. And yes.... Android is beating Apple in the US... 52.1% to 41.9%
  • Reply 29 of 51
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,097member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

We know how many Apple sold -- that's the only true piece of data here. The rest is a bunch of crappy consultant estimates since we have no real data from any of the others (probably because they don't want us to know the truth).

Not to mention that court documents during the many cases of Samsung vs. Apple revealed that Samsung would flat-out lie, lie right to everyone's faces about financial reports and how their phone/tablet sales were nowhere near what they would put out there to the public.

So even if Samsung did actually provide sales data, I wouldn't believe word one of anything they say anyways.  Bunch of corrupt people in that company.

• Reply 30 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Thing is, Android is not a thing. Do this, stack up all the phones sold in the US by manufacturer or model. If you do it by manufacturer, the tallest stack will be Apple. If you do it by model the two or three tallest piles will be iPhones. Now, please explain to us how the headline is misleading.

If your going to troll, at least try a bit harder.

I'll retype the headline here for you:  "Apple's iOS gains ground on Android in US as iPhone retains smartphone lead"  The headline is comparing IOS to Android.   And Android has a substantial lead.  Yes; Apple has more market share than Samsung, but that is not what the dramatic misleading headline says; is it?  

• Reply 31 of 51
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    sflocal wrote: »

Not to mention that court documents during the many cases of Samsung vs. Apple revealed that Samsung would flat-out lie, lie right to everyone's faces about financial reports and how their phone/tablet sales were nowhere near what they would put out there to the public.

So even if Samsung did actually provide sales data, I wouldn't believe word one of anything they say anyways.  Bunch of corrupt people in that company.

Spot on. Apple is the ONLY company to provide honest mobile sales data. Not Amazon; not Google; not Motorola; not Samsung.

I've never understood why journalists have never pursued this aspect of the vaunted Android 'market stare' story. What's so problematic about getting these guys to report actual sales if the market share is so high!? Wouldn't they want to validate it, indeed, shout about it from the rooftops? The fact that they stop at telling us about 'shipments' says it all.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
     I'll retype the headline here for you:  "Apple's iOS gains ground on Android in US as iPhone retains smartphone lead"  The headline is comparing IOS to Android.   And Android has a substantial lead.  Yes; Apple has more market share than Samsung, but that is not what the dramatic misleading headline says; is it?  

These 'market share' numbers amount to a hill of beans.
  • Reply 33 of 51

No... the headline is talking about both platforms and smartphones. There are two separate statements in the headline:

1... "Apple's iOS gains ground on Android in US" (meaning as a platform Android is in the lead but iOS is gaining ground in the US)

2... "iPhone retains smartphone lead" (meaning as a smartphone the iPhone is the leader in smartphone sales)

The two halves of the headline are joined with "as" to signify that the two statements are happening at the same time.

In other words... the iOS platform is catching up to the Android platform... while simultaneously the iPhone remains the best selling smartphone.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

As you failed to notice, Samdung released their new flagship and only got .8 percent.

Apple is running on phones that are several months old and pretty much matched Samdung's gains.

@TheWhiteFalcon: ; That's pretty odd.  

Samsung released their new flagship in April 2014.  According to this research ending in May 2013 (or 1 month since the release), Samsung gained 0.8% and Apple 0.6%.

Apple released their last flagship in Sep 2013. According to the same research ending in Oct 2013 (or 1 month since the release), Samsung gained 1.2% and Apple 0.2%.   And Samsung was running on phones that were several months old and surpassed Apple's gain. 

Ok, so your logic doesn't seem to hold..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ScrittoreSabino View Post

My thoughts exactly.  Samsung is the biggest competitor, by far. Their flagship just released within the past few months. This is a peak season for them. Their gains a small considering. Meanwhile, Apple sees gains at only 0.2 % less change than Samsung.  This during Samsung's peak, Apple's historically slowest quarter, only 2 current phone models from Apple, and 1 size, while Samsung blankets the market at every size.

This data sums things up obviously.  In terms of market share, Apple does more with less (2 current models, 1 screen size), pretty much equaling market share growth (and leading with marketshare per brand), with what it takes Samsung multiple models at every screen size to accomplish. 

@ScrittoreSabino:   Unlike Apple's, there is no seasonal sales peak for Samsung.  Samsung's growth in the past has been linear for the past 3-4 years -- they had consecutive 7 record revenue/profit quarters, followed by two consecutive declining recent quarters. According to Chitika, over 80% of all Samsung devices used in the US are Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, S5, Note 2 and Note 3.  Apple's current lineups include Apple 4S, 5C and 5S -- so Samsung has only a few more offerings in the US that really competes with Apple's iPhones in units sold (note that neither Apple or Samsung provides sales breakdown by models).  Further I also demonstrated above that Samsung marketshare surpassed Apple's by a noticeable margin during Apple's "peak" sales season -- as defined by you. That seems to contradict everything else in your comment. 

• Reply 35 of 51
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    frood wrote: »
    Very impressive for Apple considering this is the 'slowdown' before the storm when the iPhone 6 is released.

Wouldn't surprise me.

I was visiting family the other day and everyone who had a smartphone had an iPhone. The one person who didn't, was the daughter in a household of Apple products who had a Samsung device, and she hates the battery life on it.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    lloydbm4lloydbm4 Posts: 37member
    blackbook wrote: »
    With apple potentially releasing larger iPhones this fall, I forsee massive market share gains.

Apple will have an extremely strong lineup with the 5C for free and the up to 5.5 inch iPhone that I can't see android manufacturers being able to hold on to much market share.

black book,
    You seriously can't be idiotic enough to believe the crap you just spewed? Either that, or you are unaware that there is a whole world outside the U.S.?

Take a look at Apple's worldwide market share and then ask yourself why AI only gives mention of surveys in the US, and occasionally the UK and Japan? Because those are the only 3 places in the world where Apple has any marketshare. Wake up and don't believe the propaganda. Think for yourself.

Sent from my Lumia 1520
  • Reply 37 of 51
    lloydbm4 wrote: »
    black book,
    You seriously can't be idiotic enough to believe the crap you just spewed? Either that, or you are unaware that there is a whole world outside the U.S.?

Take a look at Apple's worldwide market share and then ask yourself why AI only gives mention of surveys in the US, and occasionally the UK and Japan? Because those are the only 3 places in the world where Apple has any marketshare. Wake up and don't believe the propaganda. Think for yourself.

Sent from my Lumia 1520

We hear about worldwide market share all the time!

Every 3 months... to be exact.

You know... Android has 80% market share... Apple has 15% market share... Apple is doomed because of it. Blah, blah, blah...

What is rarely mentioned is that while "Android" has 80% market share... much of that is made up of garbage phones sold in developing nations.

There were 230 million "Android" phones sold last quarter... yet we only ever talk about certain flagships like Galaxy S, HTC One, LG G2, etc.

Guess what... those phones make up only a fraction of Android market share... yet they get all the press.

Why don't we explore that "Other" category? You know... those phones that retail for $80 in China and India.

There are some real gems in there :err:
  • Reply 38 of 51
    Yes, the US is much the main home of the iPhone.

In Germany where people are more technical Android now outsells the iPhone more than 7 to 1.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    tooltalk wrote: »
    @TheWhiteFalcon:  That's pretty odd.  

Samsung released their new flagship in April 2014.  According to this research ending in May 2013 (or 1 month since the release), Samsung gained 0.8% and Apple 0.6%.

Apple released their last flagship in Sep 2013. According to the same research ending in Oct 2013 (or 1 month since the release), Samsung gained 1.2% and Apple 0.2%.   And Samsung was running on phones that were several months old and surpassed Apple's gain. 

Ok, so your logic doesn't seem to hold..

@ScrittoreSabino:   Unlike Apple's, there is no seasonal sales peak for Samsung.  Samsung's growth in the past has been linear for the past 3-4 years -- they had consecutive 7 record revenue/profit quarters, followed by two consecutive declining recent quarters. According to Chitika, over 80% of all Samsung devices used in the US are Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, S5, Note 2 and Note 3.  Apple's current lineups include Apple 4S, 5C and 5S -- so Samsung has only a few more offerings in the US that really competes with Apple's iPhones in units sold (note that neither Apple or Samsung provides sales breakdown by models).  Further I also demonstrated above that Samsung marketshare surpassed Apple's by a noticeable margin during Apple's "peak" sales season -- as defined by you. That seems to contradict everything else in your comment. 

That contradicts data showing that only a third of Samdung's "smartphone" sales were premium devices.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    normmnormm Posts: 653member

The best fit logistic curve for iPhone penetration data for the past 48 months is that iPhone will saturate at 39% of the total US cellphone market (they're currently at 29.4%). This is a good fit, so it seems pretty likely.  Thus when all phones are smartphones, we expect Apple's share to be about 39% in the US, which is about what its share of smartphones is now. So as smartphones increasingly dominate (they're currently about 70% of all phones in the US), we should expect Apple's share of the additional sales to remain about constant.

In the world as a whole, Apple's share is currently about 15%, and worldwide smartphone penetration was about 50% last year.  So if Apple's share remains about constant in the world, then when all the phones are smartphones their worldwide sales will about double.