Apple's iOS continues to dominate mobile web browsing as Android gains

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Sure. App Store vs Google Play, where there is no regional breakdown and revenues are worldwide. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">In that regard iOS completely dominates Android.</span>

Even there it would not be a total surprise if Google Play overtakes the App Store sometime in the next 12 months.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member

....and this confirms what?.... Android devices lead iPad in every other category??

• Reply 23 of 41
    Still, there's quite the discrepancy on the iOS side (34% or 45.61%) which makes me question what they're counting (for example, actual data usage/transferred or just page hits).</span>

The study quoted in the AI article used page-hits didn't it?
  • Reply 24 of 41
    mistercowmistercow Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

It just means the average android user has yet to figure out what a smart phone is.

Also, as pointed out 1B devices world wide most of which do not have the ability to surf the web.

I have said this before, Android was a vehicle to provide mobile ad revenues for google, and as we keep seeing, it is not going it job even with it massive installed based.

Or it just means it takes Apple users twice as long to search for something.  Probably because you have to keep repeating yourself to Siri..

• Reply 25 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Meanwhile .... This from the BBC web site:

Samsung Electronics has forecast a 25% drop in profit for the second quarter due to a slowdown in the smartphone market and a strong Korean currency.

It expects to make an operating profit of 7.2 trillion won ($7.1bn; £4.2bn) in the April-to-June period, down from 9.5 trillion won a year ago.

Its operating profit has now fallen for three straight quarters.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Why would most Android phones not have the capability of using the web?

Perhaps they are mostly too young to have an an internet account.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

I don't know if I represent many Android users, but my internet usage dropped substantially from iPhone to Android.  I used to look up most everything on the web on my iPhone.  Mostly stocks, weather, and news.  Weather I think I had an App, but since you had to go home and then go to the App I'd just use the web half the time.

80% of what I do on my phone now is just turn it on and look at it.  Widgets have my news, stocks, and weather automatically updated already, so I literally just turn my phone on and look at it.

I never shopped on either my iPhone or Android.  Most anything I want can wait till I get home and I prefer shopping from a PC.

Assuming the iPhone 6 has decent enough widgets, it should be interesting to see if the 'staple browsing' people do is converted to widgets.

• Reply 28 of 41
    lloydbm4lloydbm4 Posts: 37member
    Let's add the part that includes the worldwide figures, shall we? I realize AI only likes to talk about the one of 3 bright spots for Apple in the entire world (namely the US, Japan and UK), but let's get a realistic look at the numbers and not leave out info (as AI did.)

I quote from the same report:

Chart of worldwide data:
    [IMG]http://cdn.wallstcheatsheet.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/worldwide-mobile-operating-system-share.jpg[/IMG]

"Although Piper Jaffray%u2019s Quantcast data showed that Apple%u2019s iOS has a stable lead in the mobile web browsing traffic market in the U.S., other market research firm%u2019s studies indicate that Android may soon overtake iOS in worldwide mobile web traffic share. According to data from Net Applications, Android%u2019s share of the global web traffic market has been steadily climbing over the past several months. While Apple%u2019s iOS still led with a 45.6 percent share last month, Android is not far behind with a 43.75 percent share. Also, unlike in the U.S. market, Android%u2019s rise appears to be coming at the expense of iOS. As seen in the chart above, the worldwide market share for iOS has slipped from 53.3 percent in March to 45.6 percent last month."

Not such a rosy picture as AI likes to paint. Point is, as people upgrade their Android devices to smartphones capable of web browsing en masse in places like China and India, the percentage of web traffic via Android devices grows exponentially.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    lloydbm4 wrote: »
    Let's add the part that includes the worldwide figures, shall we? I realize AI only likes to talk about the one of 3 bright spots for Apple in the entire world (namely the US, Japan and UK), but let's get a realistic look at the numbers and not leave out info (as AI did.)

I quote from the same report:

Chart of worldwide data:
    worldwide-mobile-operating-system-share.jpg

"Although Piper Jaffray%u2019s Quantcast data showed that Apple%u2019s iOS has a stable lead in the mobile web browsing traffic market in the U.S., other market research firm%u2019s studies indicate that Android may soon overtake iOS in worldwide mobile web traffic share. According to data from Net Applications, Android%u2019s share of the global web traffic market has been steadily climbing over the past several months. While Apple%u2019s iOS still led with a 45.6 percent share last month, Android is not far behind with a 43.75 percent share. Also, unlike in the U.S. market, Android%u2019s rise appears to be coming at the expense of iOS. As seen in the chart above, the worldwide market share for iOS has slipped from 53.3 percent in March to 45.6 percent last month."

Not such a rosy picture as AI likes to paint. Point is, as people upgrade their Android devices to smartphones capable of web browsing en masse in places like China and India, the percentage of web traffic via Android devices grows exponentially.

Now over lay profits for the respective companies. Then look up sustainability.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

Can you just report a troll, or do I have to wait till he says something specific?

• Reply 31 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Can you just report a troll, or do I have to wait till he says something specific?

It helps if you write the exact reason for reporting in the description.

• Reply 32 of 41
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    How long will web browsing stats be a reliable measure for platform popularity? I think already it isn't because it is apps that are more important than web browsing.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Why would most Android phones not have the capability of using the web?

did not say phones, I said devices, thus all the video terminals and streaming device being sold with Andriod install we now know those numbers are also include in the numbers google has been reporting as well as low end phone which do not have data plans.

• Reply 34 of 41
    maestro64 wrote: »
    did not say phones, I said devices, thus all the video terminals and streaming device being sold with Andriod install we now know those numbers are also include in the numbers google has been reporting as well as low end phone which do not have data plans.

So you believe that encompasses MOST Android devices then. :\
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

How long will web browsing stats be a reliable measure for platform popularity? I think already it isn't because it is apps that are more important than web browsing.

And guess which platform uses more apps.

• Reply 36 of 41

And guess which platform uses more apps.
    I think that might be Android according to a recent Localytics study.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2014/06/11/androids-app-engagement-higher-than-ios-but-apple-drives-higher-ecommerce-sales/
  • Reply 37 of 41

Oh, yes, that’s worth listening to¡

The second reason is that Android devices have a greater variety of form factors, especially larger screens. This makes more sense as users would be less frustrated with a larger screen on Android smartphones and phablets vs. Apple’s offerings.

• Reply 38 of 41
    Oh, yes, that’s worth listening to¡

They were offering some guesses for why for the greater app engagement on Android. The app usage stats themselves were not guesses.
    http://www.localytics.com/blog/2014/app-retention-improves/
  • Reply 39 of 41
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Misa, I agree with most all of your very perceptive synopsis and would add even the "real" android smartphone sales levels are unsustainable. Many (nearly all) android phone are pushed via 2 for 1's special deals or spiffs (direct payment from manufacturers to sales people) This sort of surge just isn't sustainable as witnessed by the lack of profit for all android phone manufacturers. Samsung is the only Android OEM making anything on phones (and that required rapid growth which (seeing as they have taken 90% of the androids market) just isn't possible at this point (again look at -current- samsung android phone profits: falling like a stone and that isn't likely to improve)

My guess is 30-40% real marketshare (as indicated by browser share) will likely be androids high water mark. Which I personally think is a good thing, I would hate to ever see android dominate as it would bring a decade of almost complete stagnation (like windows did) The market is much better served by apple dominating and a handful of also ran's giving the apple haters an alternative. ;-)
  • Reply 40 of 41
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

I think that might be Android according to a recent Localytics study.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2014/06/11/androids-app-engagement-higher-than-ios-but-apple-drives-higher-ecommerce-sales/

Do you know what this is, I do, again it all smoke and mirror on Google part, They report app down loads but do not tell you what is in fact being downloaded. I have an Andriod device as well as IOS devices. My Android device has never had the OS update in the 2 yrs I had it for work. But Google has pushed out more updated than I can count in the last two year, and this are just google built in software updates and new addition. I now have google programs on the phone which were not on it originally, google decided for me that I need their stuff. Now lets talk about the AT&T software updates, again they keep updating their built in programs and also add no programs which I did not want added. I can tell I do not go a week without some new update being pushed down, most required my approval some are just automatic since I allows one which do not require access to personal stuff on the phone.

This does not even take into consideration all the apps I have install and I getting updates for. Again keep in mind no OS update so the program works as I like but the develops seem intent to keep pushing out updates to the point that the next time I launch the app its GUI is now different and I have to figure out how to use it again. Google has been encouraging this kind of activities they want developer to keep modifying their programs and releasing new versions with or without bug fixes. Why, it drives the states so that Google can say Android users download more apps than IOS.

To put this in contract not to say iOS developer are not pushing updates. they do, most time I see them on new release of iOS or for bug fixes in the app or because Apple changed something. I have far more iOS apps installed on my devices than I have on my Android device, and I had far more updates on Android than I even had on an iOS device. Also Apple has on push out a hand full of updates for their own apps and never installed a new app which was not part of the original iOS release.

Google is pushing the numbers up since they know Wall Street loves stats like this and wants to show they have more down loads then App thus more users using Android thus more potential to sell them more ads. But the one thing Google can not fake is the $ they pay out and the mobile Ad $ they are not getting from Android.

Look at the article, ask yourself how does this company track how many time you use the app. The only way to know that is from Ad revenue, some how the app must report which ad was put in front of you and which app show it to you. Well most of the apps I use on my idevices do not show me ads, what is that I paid for them. On Android I am being pounded with ads all the time even on apps I paid for,

This companies analysis is useless, unless they can tell you how they tracking app usage.