Samsung predicts massive profit decline, blames slumping smartphone sales

Comments

• Reply 141 of 172
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    And in other South Korean news: "Gangnam Style," the worldwide viral super-hit by K-Pop star PSY has drastically declined in popularity year-over-year since its peak in 2012.

But really, Samsung's smartphone sales decline and "Gangnam Style"'s decline were both inevitable.
    Weren't they.

watching that video, i marvel at the fact that there is not any product placements for samsung in it... perhaps it was a dig at samsungs executive style?... Samsung Style!..
  • Reply 142 of 172
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    abazigal wrote: »
    I don't really, but I am always on the lookout for more "ammo" to defend myself against Android-using trolls who continue spewing the same falsehoods day in and day out on forums such as Cnet. Like how they love to boast that their Android phones have quad-core processors, while Anandtech has long debunked that "myth" and shown how Apple's A7 processor consistently delivers better performance despite having just 2 slower cores. 

I don't go around looking for fights, but if you want to pick one with me, I am not going down without a struggle. :P

Nothing [@]Relic[/@] wrote was confrontational nor was it trollish. It's unwise to pick a fight with her because many here including myself will come to her defense.
  • Reply 143 of 172
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Online Word? 

Yeah, not only is it really good but it's also free to use, along with Excel and PowerPoint. Just go here and click on the app you want to use. People always ask why I have a ChromeBook, why not, the web has everything that I could possible want. Put the browser in full screen while using iCloud and it's like you have a Mac. :D 

• Reply 144 of 172
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic troll. You have no argument. Every single word you have said has been disproven. Nothing you say is even remotely correct. You have absolutely no right to continue posting whatsoever. It is not your opinion. Trolling is not an opinion.
    Good for you. You're completely and utterly wrong.

"mostcallmemob" is a bad troll at that... 12 posts... and he then capitulates, (post #106) in effect apologizing!... "another one bites the dust"....
    lesson to be learned... don't llearn to troll here, or to quote/paraphase Tegan and Sara ... "silly time to learn to swim, when you are drowning..."
  • Reply 145 of 172
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    Just go here and click on the app you want to use.

Thanks for that link. I've refreshed my tab in Safari myself and will see if they kept all of my text in here. Refreshing NOW.

Yup, that works.
  • Reply 146 of 172
    abazigalabazigal Posts: 114member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I don't really, but I am always on the lookout for more "ammo" to defend myself against Android-using trolls who continue spewing the same falsehoods day in and day out on forums such as Cnet. Like how they love to boast that their Android phones have quad-core processors, while Anandtech has long debunked that "myth" and shown how Apple's A7 processor consistently delivers better performance despite having just 2 slower cores. 

I don't go around looking for fights, but if you want to pick one with me, I am not going down without a struggle. :P

Nothing [@]Relic[/@] wrote was confrontational nor was it trollish. It's unwise to pick a fight with her because many here including myself will come to her defense.

My comment wasn't even directed at her. She asked me a direct question, I have her an honest and direct answer. It's that simple.
  • Reply 147 of 172
    My comment wasn't even directed at her. She asked me a direct question, I have her an honest and direct answer. It's that simple.

Apologies then. I read it as if you were attacking her.
  • Reply 148 of 172
    abazigalabazigal Posts: 114member

none taken. :)
  • Reply 149 of 172
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

In her defence, I think she's quite capable of defending herself 8-)
  • Reply 150 of 172
    shervinshervin Posts: 11member
    Poetic justice. The conniving, lying, thieves from Samsung are slowly going to get their due. Of course, they'll try to copy the next big Apple thing, though with the litigation, it will be much harder for them. I think Apple should stop playing too nice with the Chinese government and slap around Xiaomi, which is now even worse than Samsung in stealing from Apple. Cockroaches.
    Ah, hopefully, that shill, Lucy Koh wouldn't be presiding over that case!
  • Reply 151 of 172
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    When Samsung is put out of business and the CEO has humbled himself before the world, having metaphorically fallen upon his sword, then, and only then, will justice have been served.
  • Reply 152 of 172
    fred1 wrote: »
    bobbyfozz wrote: »
    Their dishonesty in marketing is NOT helping them.

Would you care to be a bit more specific? Vague rants don't add much to the discussion

It's interesting to see how this seems to vindicate Apple staying out of the lower end of the market - too easy to compete there when people care more about price than name or features.

You're asking someone to provide evidence of Samsung's dishonesty in marketing? Might as well ask him for evidence that music is good, or that ignorance is bliss.
  • Reply 153 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shervin View Post

Poetic justice. The conniving, lying, thieves from Samsung are slowly going to get their due. Of course, they'll try to copy the next big Apple thing, though with the litigation, it will be much harder for them. I think Apple should stop playing too nice with the Chinese government and slap around Xiaomi, which is now even worse than Samsung in stealing from Apple. Cockroaches.

Ah, hopefully, that shill, Lucy Koh wouldn't be presiding over that case!

I think that Chinese judge will preside over this case, his name is Win One Soon.

• Reply 154 of 172
    cws wrote: »

Touch ID, just introduced in Apple's latest iPhone, is an amazing example of groundbreaking innovation: the very first highly reliable and incredibly convenient biometric security system ever installed on a mobile device.  Oh, and I forgot to mention the first 64-bit processor on a mobile phone.  As Phil Schiller would say, "Can't innovate? My Ass!"

Touch ID, I will give to Apple, is a pretty innovative feature and one that actually works well as I've played with it on my girlfriends 5S. 64-bit processing is something all smartphones should have, which is one huge issue I have with Samsung. The difference of using a 64-bit processor makes for a super smooth and fluid feel across the OS, which is why I enjoy the iPhone more. 
    andysol wrote: »
    Ok- ill bite.

Even as little as last year- doing a 64-bit processor in the mobile world. That's huge. So big in fact that Samsung came out a week later and publicly said "we'll have 64 bit too soon!" However- here we are, almost a year later- with nothing in sight except for a promise. If you can't understand why the move to 64-bit and the development of that chip isn't groundbreaking, then we don't need to continue the conversation.

Although, in your eyes, I see how that can be minor. You're thinking iPod, or the revolution of the smartphone with iPhone. Or a tablet that finally caught on and look at the advances now In that field. I think everyone- even competitors and trolls- can agree all three of those were huge innovations.

Now please answer- should apple "innovate" with a brand new product category annually? Or is it a once every 5 year thing? Please list three consumer products that were completely revolutionary and innovative from any company- not even tech related- in the past 15 years. When you can't list a company- then you can, as tallest says, shut up and go away.

Of course Apple can't develop a brand new product category annually, it's not possible. Three products that were revolutionary and innovative is simple. 

HDTV, DVR/DVD's, NFC (although it's not too commonly used), RFID tagging, CD's, mainstream GPS, hybrid and electric cars, 3D printing, Google, USB flash, Wifi, and social media, just to name a few have completely revolutionized our lifes. 
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »

Uhhhhhh, they invented the freaking touch screen smart-phone. What are you, 10 years old?

Apple did not invent the touchscreen, it has been around since the 80's, probably earlier. Apple brought the multi-point touchscreen to the smartphone.

Shut up and go away.

Thank you.
  • Reply 155 of 172
    ash471 wrote: »
    I have to think the top level management at Samsung are taking a long hard look at their smart phone division's almost insane desire to beat Apple at all costs. Flooding the market with very low profit products is hurting the whole company. I seriously suspect some heads may roll in the phone division over this and they may scale back the desire to 'win' the numbers game (AKA chanel stuffing, discounts, give awaits and so on) and go back to looking at how to actually make money, even if that means conceding that Apple is actually selling more profitable products by far.
    ummm, 7 billion in profit is nothing to sneeze at.  I very much doubt heads are going to roll.  From a business standpoint, copying Apple was totally the right thing to do. Think of all the catastrophic failures from companies who tried to compete with Apple by partially copying and adding their own flair to it (note that the entire smartphone industry copied Apple to some degree).  I'm sure the 100% pure copyists at Samdung are heroes in the eyes of Samdung shareholders.  Of all the copyists, they did it the best.

Burning bridges is not good business.
  • Reply 156 of 172
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Samsung is not good in business.

They got lucky.  Flat out.  They stumbled upon making GIAGANTIC screens and the market ate it up.  There would always be a huge market for Android phones because of price.  Samsung was just the lucky one.  It will only go down hill from now on.  Profits are down 25% and top end unit sales are down 35%.  Soon they will need to cut marketing and that will lessen sales even more.  The Chinese companies will destroy Samsung's mid-range phones and they will be forced to cut prices even more.

Can you say Nokia 2.0?

Disagree.  From the litigation we know that Samsung recognized right away that copying was the only option.  It wasn't dumb luck. They knew exactly what they were doing. And their math was correct.  They made a lot more money copying than the rest of the competitors combined. How's that not good business? I'm no Samdung fan, but I recognize good business decisions when I see them. 

• Reply 157 of 172
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by revenant View Post

I am going to go ahead and guess you have little experience actually using android, let alone a galaxy s5.  there are some really nice things one can do with android and on the samsung s5. And let's face it- neither of us know much about how great Tizen can be, as i doubt you touched the watch that had the software. A watch is not a good identifier of how the software would be on a phone. The best thing Samsung could do it to distance itself from android.

How great was iOS on the iPod shuffle? How well did that sell? Let's not pretend that Apple has never had a flop. Great company? No doubts, innovative and pushing hard for the future, i love every Apple product i have ever bought. But you cannot presume to know about Tizen and Samsung's choices regarding the software because no one bought the watch it was on- nearly no one bought the iOS laden iPod shuffle with a screen, and so Apple changed it back.  

There are probably more power users on android than there is iOS, because android lets you roll up your sleeves and do some extra. 

And microsoft is not even in the same league when it comes to the smartphone sphere, they should not have been brought up in the first place. The performance on the S5 is better than any other android crap i have ever messed around with.  

I would bet against Tizen all day long. Admittedly, I haven't used Tizen.  However, I very much doubt it will succeed as a platform.  I have enough experience selling consumer products to know that change is very hard.  There are only three things that cause change 1. price, 2. desired technological advancement, or 3. branding/trends/culture.  Samsung isn't going to accomplish any of those three.  Price doesn't matter (nobody charges for the UI).  Tizen doesn't produce a significant technological advantage over Android.  User interfaces are not trendy and if they were, I very much doubt that Samdung would be the trend setter. 

I also think Samsung recognizes the huge challenge it faces, which is why they aren't going to release Tizen

• Reply 158 of 172
    ash471 wrote: »
    Disagree.  From the litigation we know that Samsung recognized right away that copying was the only option.  It wasn't dumb luck. They knew exactly what they were doing. And their math was correct.  They made a lot more money copying than the rest of the competitors combined. How's that not good business? I'm no Samdung fan, but I recognize good business decisions when I see them. 

Using your logic the Galaxy Tab should've sold well. Look at the real numbers. We all saw the pitiful sales numbers of the SGS 2 (the closest copy of the iPhone) about 2 yrs ago. It was until the SGS 3 (a very different looking device) that Samsung's high end smartphone sales took off. People that buy a Samsung device do so because it's different from a Apple device not a copy.
  • Reply 159 of 172
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    You're asking someone to provide evidence of Samsung's dishonesty in marketing? Might as well ask him for evidence that music is good, or that ignorance is bliss.

I see. Sorry, my mistake. I thought calling something dishonest meant that it contained information that isn't true and that's what I was hoping our friend could give an example or two of.
    Now I understand that when marketing is "dishonest" it just means that some people don't like it - that it's a completely subjective, unqualifiable term.

It's too bad that bobbyfozz isn't here any more to clarify what he or she meant.
  • Reply 160 of 172
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    fred1 wrote: »
    I see. Sorry, my mistake. I thought calling something dishonest meant that it contained information that isn't true and that's what I was hoping our friend could give an example or two of.
    Now I understand that when marketing is "dishonest" it just means that some people don't like it - that it's a completely subjective, unqualifiable term.

It's too bad that bobbyfozz isn't here any more to clarify what he or she meant.

Paying celebrities to say "wow, I love my Samsung phone" when they actually prefer iPhones strikes many people as dishonest.