Vimeo launches revamped Apple TV channel with better discovery, on-demand video

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2014
Video sharing service Vimeo on Wednesday rolled out an all-new version of its Apple TV channel, bringing a streamlined user interface, new curated playlists, and trailers from Vimeo On Demand to Apple's set-top streamer.

The company simplified the channel's navigation, paring it down to what Vimeo says are "the essentials." Users can browse the main discovery screen, peruse their personalized feed, manage their Watch Later list, look at their own videos, or search through the service's collection.

Viewers are now able to watch trailers for Vimeo's growing On Demand library and add titles to their Watch List, though purchasing is not currently supported through Apple TV. AppleInsider has asked Vimeo whether technical issues prevented purchases from being offered or if it was simply a business decision, but the company had yet to respond at press time.

Apple TV owners will also find a new selection of curated playlists, including a Staff Favorites album that collects all of Vimeo's Staff Picks each month. The channel will also respect viewers' content filter preferences -- showing only safe content to logged-out users -- while pressing "more" on a video will show other videos from that creator as well as related albums, channels, and groups.

Founded in 2004 as part of CollegeHumor's internet empire, Vimeo has established a reputation for high-quality content and was the first video sharing site to support high definition video. A Vimeo channel was first added to the Apple TV in 2011.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Id be extremely interested to know if they would allow VOD purchases on there. That would clear the amazon argument up right there. I would bet money that's the sticking point.
    Although- Even if they did allow it, we wouldn't know if Apple would get a cut or not

All of this is moot- give me my new Apple TV and App Store! :D
  • Reply 2 of 4
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[…] but the company had yet to respond at press time.

What is "press time" in this context? It's a web site, not a newspaper. There is no press. There isn't even a tangible deadline (like TV news that starts at 6 o'clock whether they're ready or not), just a desire to get it online first.

I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm just kinda curious what that phrase means in the world of online reporting?

• Reply 3 of 4
    owlboyowlboy Posts: 37member
    I was wondering the same thing.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    What is "press time" in this context? It's a web site, not a newspaper. There is no press. There isn't even a tangible deadline (like TV news that starts at 6 o'clock whether they're ready or not), just a desire to get it online first.

I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm just kinda curious what that phrase means in the world of online reporting?

I used to think it was when the presses roll but I think it starts earlier, when they paste those gallies down ready for the camera to make the plates. After that making changes are a nightmare ... :D