At Sun Valley retreat, Tim Cook tells reporter to upgrade her Samsung phone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Using an iPad to video/photo and blocking sight lines when others are behind you - that's being a tool.  I really like the person that doesn't allow cameras at performances.

Now that's a different story, and I agree, but a smart phone held up is just as obnoxious in certain situations. At an Eagles concert recently I could hardly see the stage for a Samsung held up to video by a moron in the seat in front of me. It wasn't the size but the fully bright screen blinding me that was the problem. On there other hand, I was in front of the Mendenhall glacier the other day and I saw every type of recoding device being used and plenty of room. There were many iPads and iPhones as well as high end Canons etc.. It's all good in such situations.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You 'look down'? Really? image Some of us switch between iPads, iPhones, and many thousands of dollars worth of Canons with L lenses and Sony Pro 4 K video cameras. It's about the right tool at the time or whatever you have on hand. Then it's up to talent. Looking down at others is pretty silly IMHO, it could be you are looking down at a pro that happens to want to use an iPad for his or her own reasons.

I know right, must be a young person who doesn't appreciate how far we have actually come with video technology. There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone using their iPad in public to take videos or photos. I have a Canon 5D II with battery grip, a Canon 100mm - 400mm lens with the 2x extender to make it 800mm. I'm a tiny little bald women(cancer), I look absolutely ridiculous, I know this, the people around me know this but not once do I ever feel like an idiot, tool or even self conscious because it was all about the shot, the art, the technology. I know for an absolute fact that a mommy or daddy taking photos of their kids at the park with their iPad may not be a Vanity Fair spread but mark my words, those photos are more precious to them then anything Ansel Adams could have done and at no point did they look over their shoulder to see of someone was watching, judging, quietly thinking to themselves, what a bunch of tools. Yow know what, I think people who use iPhones for photos are idiots, yeppers sure do, why you ask, simple, you don't have a 41MP camera like my Nokia 1020 does, 8MP, loosers, how can anyone take worth while photos with only 8MP. That was me making a point by the way, I have to say it for those who have no sense of humor and take everything literally.

• Reply 23 of 58
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Rear facing camera on the iPad allows me to list things on eBay without getting my Mac involved. So much more convenient. Leave it alone, you hipsters! ;)
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yep, a tablet really doesn't belong at a video shoot ... I can see why so many are 'looking down' and laughing at people that use tablets in video situations .... /s

Oh wow, neat, I want it!

• Reply 25 of 58

Thank goodness there are still companies out there who cater to us tools.

Nothing to see here, move on. I just wouldn't be able to live with myself if I was responsible for making any of you look like jack asses by using things like this, please, stop looking, I said I couldn't live with myself, you know because image is everything.

• Reply 26 of 58
    So, the folks using iPads to take photos / videos don't give a flying fsck what you nor anyone else thinks about how they look. They're just getting things done.

Big whoop, so it looks "stupid" to your eyes. I imagine Ansel Adams looked goofy carrying around those large box cameras, too.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    relic wrote: »
    Oh, don't be a snob, there's nothing wrong with using an iPad to take a video, for one it's much easier to edit your videos with iMovie and then upload them to the web. Since videos are shrunked down most of time anyway the 5MP camera is more then acceptable.

Sorry- did I read it wrong? Did she take a video?

No? Ok- so your point is completely irrelevant.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Sorry- did I read it wrong? Did she take a video?

No? Ok- so your point is completely irrelevant.

Ugh, video, photos, semantics and you know it, point still stands.

• Reply 29 of 58
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    relic wrote: »
    Ugh, video, photos, semantics and you know it, point still stands.

No- it doesn't. You specifically mentioned how editing a movie is easier on an iPad. Duh. Oh course it is. Were talking about a pic that goes through Photostream that you can access on any device or Mac for editing automatically. So it doesn't apply. Taking a pic on your iPad is dumb in most cases. Some, like the Craigslist example, are fine. But if you're a freaking reporter on twitter- you should use the better quality camera at your disposal.

Let's try this-
    So if the iPhone 6 got the iPad Air camera, would you be happy?
    Let me guess- she didn't have her iPhone on her, just an iPad? Who doesn't have their phone on them? Quality matters.

People are simply uneducated. The beautiful air screen looks gorgeous and you can see the picture fantastically. So they think it takes a great pic. Sure, it does. But vastly inferior to the iPhone. That's my point. Ya- it's annoying when they're in from of you. But you're just being ignorant if you're taking a pic.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnyblitz View Post

Using an iPad to video/photo and blocking sight lines when others are behind you - that's being a tool.  I really like the person that doesn't allow cameras at performances.

It all depends. An iPad is merely a tool to capture video with or take pictures with, and it has a wonderful large display, so why wouldn't people want to use it. And what if that's all that they have?

Screw the other people in the crowd. Everybody is annoying in their own way. Some women have huge, ridiculous looking hair that blocks the view. Some people talk too much. Some people smell. Some people are just naturally tall and block the vertical view. Some people are fat and they block the horizontal view. 

So what if somebody is using an iPad? Who says that cameras have to be small or have small view finders? A large display is perfectly suited for photography.

• Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:

But you're just being ignorant if you're taking a pic.

No, I'm not, it was what two years ago when the iPhone 4 only had 5MP, did you not use your phone then to take pictures, did you not say that your photos were as good as a phone with a 8MP camera. Look, you utilize the tools you have, I commented to your post because you said a parent looks like a douche (a device used to clean out a woman's vagina) when taking pictures of their kids using an iPad. You don't find that comment just a little ridiculous, your judging a person on the technology they use to make memories. I guess not everyone can be cool as you when taking pictures with your iPhone. You know your in the wrong here don't you and no amount of spinning is going to take that back.

• Reply 32 of 58
    diegogdiegog Posts: 135member
    That's great and all...however my mother is suffering from early onset macular degeneration which thankfully we caught early. She uses an iPad so that she can take pics of her grandkids without struggling to see settings, edits, etc. if someone made a comment about my mothers iPad usage around me the results wouldn't be pleasant.

Don't be an ass. Maybe that's all the reporter had handy. Since you don't know, don't be a douche about it.
    magman1979 wrote: »
    Sorry, but as much as I love iPad's, I look down upon people who try to use it as a Point-and-Shoot camera, as it makes them look like total tools. If the iPad is mounted in a pro mount and used for video capture, it at least looks more at place for that role.

I really wish Apple would eliminate the rear camera from iPad's. And as Andysol pointed out, the iPhone 5C/S camera is far superior, and far more pocketable / portable, so no reason to use an inferior product for such an important event.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    andysol wrote: »
    When will people realize that their iPhone camera is significantly better than their iPad camera?
    Forget the fact you look like a douche parent at a dance recital...

It's super-common. I see that everywhere. Hell, I take pictures with my iPad all the time. I so wish its camera was on spec with the iPhone 5s, though.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Tim Cook: "Let them eat cake."

• Reply 35 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I would have attributed such direct commentary to Steve. Way to go, Tim.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Apple changed the way we live, work and play. Calling people names doesn't un-dent the universe.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Screw the other people in the crowd. Everybody is annoying in their own way. Some women have huge, ridiculous looking hair that blocks the view. Some people talk too much. Some people smell. Some people are just naturally tall and block the vertical view. Some people are fat and they block the horizontal view. 

Okay, well, the only time it's really mattered to me was at a public aquarium, during feeding time for a particular tank.  You're talking about a roomful of people, all standing on the same level, all looking toward a very narrow "window" of view.

Someone on the front "row", choosing to hold their big honkin' tablet up to the glass, over their heads (remember, there's no one in front of them), thereby ruining the experience for the remaining hundred-or-so on hand, is just being thoughtless.

It's not so much the tablet, per se.  It's more about thoughtless people.

• Reply 38 of 58
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

When will people realize that their iPhone camera is significantly better than their iPad camera?

Forget the fact you look like a douche parent at a dance recital...

People don't CARE what we technophiles think. In fact, we're probably the LAST people anyone would consider as a barometer of what's "cool."

The camera in the iPad is better than the DV camera it replaced, and framing is way easier with that great big viewfinder!

• Reply 39 of 58
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

Ok Apple's Tim cook just told me to upgrade my phone

She should have quipped "The Galaxy S6 isn't out yet"

• Reply 40 of 58
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member