iTunes update brings HD Extras to the Mac, also coming to Apple TV and iOS 8

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Downside ... For those of us who do not want iTunes extras there is no way to turn it off ... It must download... Where I then delete all files marked .ite.
  • Reply 22 of 30

they don't download, they stream now. if you're not connected to the internet the downloaded movie still plays though.

• Reply 23 of 30
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Does this version of iTunes delete my [B]"Apple Keynotes (1080p)"[/B] podcast folder again? Happened last month and all my Apple Special Event, Keynotes and WWDC's disappeared from my Podcast folder in iTunes. Restored from ™, but only because I noticed it, something I may oversee with a future update. It's not that I like to watch boring Timmi Cookiemonster in 1080 before going to bed every night¡
  • Reply 24 of 30
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neillwd View Post

Slow down. These are a "new" iTunes extras. They are only available from the cloud and only for HD versions of content. The previous iTunes extras came as a separate download file and would only play from that package on Mac and Windows iTunes. You could open the package and copy the files to your iTunes library for play back on Apple TV. Apple says movies purchased before July 10, 2014 will still be able to re-download the original iTunes extras file. After that, it is cloud playback only from the Movies tab on the Apple TV. So if you have to pay for extra data you may be out of luck playing that special audio commentary.

Yes. I just tried to redownload an old HD purchase that now has the new extras. This is the dialog that popped up:

So there is a choice between higher quality cloud based extras or lower quality local ones. I wonder why the new extras are cloud only?

• Reply 25 of 30
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Seems like a strange arrangement for Apple to go with.  Why are they using the carrot of better iTunes Extras to tempt people into the streaming model?

Given that some of these iTunes Extras may run to hundreds of MB, or even GB, the local storage option would seem to be better for iOS devices.  Download on wi-fi, watch while on the move.  I hope it's a different system for iOS, though that would also be strange.

• Reply 26 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Restored from ™…

You know, I never got why OS X autocorrects this by default.

• Reply 27 of 30
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Restored from ™…

You know, I never got why OS X autocorrects this by default.

Me neither. And I wanted to reply with a funny from http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com but the fools over there don't allow access from an iPad or iPhone anymore. Downloading their app is now mandatory, which isn't what I want.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

...that and the fact that Blu-Ray discs are almost always cheaper for some completely perplexing reason.

One need only compare iTunes and Amazon to realize how utterly arbitrary and ridiculous movie pricing is.

A movie I want from last year was $20 on iTunes. The same movie was $15 from Amazon in a combo pack: DVD, Blu-Ray and DIGITAL DOWNLOAD. The same movie I'd get from the iTunes store, but $5 cheaper! The fact that I also get a DVD and a Blu-Ray is just icing -- I could toss them in the trash and still come out ahead.

• Reply 29 of 30
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Yes. I just tried to redownload an old HD purchase that now has the new extras. This is the dialog that popped up:

So there is a choice between higher quality cloud based extras or lower quality local ones. I wonder why the new extras are cloud only?

I guess I won't be closing my Amazon account anytime soon then.

The endless stream of tedious and irrational restrictions from content suppliers just suck all the happy out of me.

• Reply 30 of 30
    SD only for me. It's cheaper, and the picture and sound is fine for me. I've watched the odd free HD, and I could hardly tell the difference on my 24" iMac.