75 billion downloads later, Apple celebrates the App Store's sixth anniversary

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Well, it's one more than five.

It's not a "clean" number like 5, 10 or 20, but it's not like it's meaningless.

Would you have liked it if your parents told you as a little kid, "Hey, we're not going to celebrate your sixth birthday because it's not very important"?

;)

Well put.

• Reply 22 of 27
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

So all these downloads is likely why I've been finding App downloads painfully slow lately.

Could it be that's because my recent App downloads were for FREE Apps ? 

A few times it was so slow I've discontinued my attempt at getting an App.

• Reply 23 of 27
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

Sounds like a bad network connection. Apple does not throttle free downloads.

I only purchase a handful of paid apps every year and the rest of the downloads pretty much max out at whatever speed available on the network in question (my Mac at home, WiFi on an iDevice at work, local coffee shop, whatever). Paid or free, the downloads run at the same speed on the same network.

Your best course of action would be to contact your ISP and have them troubleshoot your Internet connection. 

• Reply 24 of 27
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

I only purchase a handful of paid apps every year and the rest of the downloads pretty much max out at whatever speed available on the network in question (my Mac at home, WiFi on an iDevice at work, local coffee shop, whatever). Paid or free, the downloads run at the same speed on the same network.

Your best course of action would be to contact your ISP and have them troubleshoot your Internet connection. 

Nope, nothing wrong with my network connections.

Same slowness on both my home WiFi and the 3G celluar network after midnight when it's best.

I'm getting a measured 5.4mbps on 6mbps adsl.

I haven't purchased an App recently for  compare.  Perhaps it's just that Apple is selling too many Apps.

• Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:

Anything I download from Apple downloads at the fastest possible speed that my connection allows. It is one of the things that really is great about Apple. The other stuff I download never reaches the same speeds. And I'm not talking just torrents....

• Reply 26 of 27
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Nope, nothing wrong with my network connections.

Same slowness on both my home WiFi and the 3G celluar network after midnight when it's best.

I'm getting a measured 5.4mbps on 6mbps adsl.

I haven't purchased an App recently for  compare.  Perhaps it's just that Apple is selling too many Apps.

Apple has download servers all over the world. Perhaps the one you are accessing is overburdened.

In my own experience, I have downloaded apps over a selection of network connections, not just home WiFi, work WiFi, and cellular. I've used a variety of free WiFi networks, some of which are much speedier (like 30Mbps) and in all cases, free app downloads are no different than paid app downloads or app updates.

At least in my neck of the woods, Apple is able to offer download servers that are rarely taxed, unless there is a brand new iOS major release.

• Reply 27 of 27
    analogjack wrote: »
    Apple should expand permissions to Safari notifications for married couples, eg: "Bill wants to get a subscription to 'big bosomed coeds on heat', Allow, Review, Send electric shock next time he picks up his iPhone"

Love it!

There's not enough punishment in this world.