Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo: Apple "iWatch" mass production pushed back to November [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Does that include the contributor who complains that Apple changes their UI for apps because they didn't want it to look like his pre-release mock ups?
    Hehe Gurman took a lot of crap for writing that article. Even John Gruber took him to task over it. But hey this is the same guy who still claims Ben Shaffer worked on the Nike FuelBand while at Nike even though Fast Company talked to Nike employees who said otherwise. I think it would take a lot for Gurman to admit he ever got something wrong or published a bad rumor.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    rogifan wrote: »
    Hehe Gurman took a lot of crap for writing that article. Even John Gruber took him to task over it. But hey this is the same guy who still claims Ben Shaffer worked on the Nike FuelBand while at Nike even though Fast Company talked to Nike employees who said otherwise. I think it would take a lot for Gurman to admit he ever got something wrong or published a bad rumor.

Yea, I've seen contributors here that would never admit they were wrong either. I've even seen them post "Corrections" so they can stay in the same state of denial as Gurman.

Although I do appreciate the detailed factual backup that rebuts negative P.R. statements made against Apple.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    joninsdjoninsd Posts: 74member
    Can someone who has a good grasp on these rumors explain what is the big deal with the iWatch? I could see maybe if it was a stand alone phone with hotspot ability for other devices but then it would be huge because of the battery. Likely not much room for music or apps with how much room for storage.

I'm well aware that Apple hasn't announced anything but as far as Apple rumors go I can't see any reason to get excited about much yet.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    joninsd wrote: »
    Can someone who has a good grasp on these rumors explain what is the big deal with the iWatch? I could see maybe if it was a stand alone phone with hotspot ability for other devices but then it would be huge because of the battery. Likely not much room for music or apps with how much room for storage.

I'm well aware that Apple hasn't announced anything but as far as Apple rumors go I can't see any reason to get excited about much yet.

Based on rumors only, not much to get excited about unless you have O.C.D. tendencies.

Most people stopped wearing watches somewhere around 10 years ago. Originally, a watch gave you one vital piece of information unless you were either young or retired. Now even the young and retired have that info on their phone, which they have with them all the time. In years past you could get through a day or a week without a watch as long as you had your wallet. Nowadays, you could probably get through a week without your wallet as long as you have your phone which tells the time. It's going to take something fantastic and perhaps even "Magical" to get more than a small amount of people to put one back on. For the younger generation, who have most likely never worn a watch, it may take more than that.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

And especially if one has O.C.D. tendencies, one should make a concerned effort to refrain from getting excited.

• Reply 26 of 63
    Based on rumors only, not much to get excited about unless you have O.C.D. tendencies.

No O.C.D., but I do like hearing about tech and new gadgets. Plus if it's something really interesting to start saving up for it. I'll admit that I used to be really intrigued by an Inspector Gadget style watch but over the last few years of having an iPhone I couldn't see myself having anything on my wrist again. There's probably a better form factor eventually for a phone but a watch and Google Glass aren't it.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    No O.C.D., but I do like hearing about tech and new gadgets. Plus if it's something really interesting to start saving up for it. I'll admit that I used to be really intrigued by an Inspector Gadget style watch but over the last few years of having an iPhone I couldn't see myself having anything on my wrist again. There's probably a better form factor eventually for a phone but a watch and Google Glass aren't it.

My own personal opinion is that the iWatch is a great white whale. It's a planted rumor to distract the competition. ...and it worked beautifully!

However, if anyone is going to make you want to put something on your wrist for a purpose other than decoration Apple will probably be the one to do it. All I have to do is look at my old Blackberry phone to see how ridiculous an old 'must have' seems to me now.

So far Apple has shown how to take existing tech, an existing fad, and leap frog it to the point of WOW. Watches died. They're dead. I may have to eat my words, but I don't see them trying to revive something on the way out.

Computers (an emerging tech) - Apple pretty much made them available to the masses.

MP3 players (an emerging tech) - Apple made them better than anyone else.

Cell phones (an emerging tech) - Apple made them better than anyone could conceive.

Tablets (an emerging tech) - Apple showed how they should be made and in the process leap frogged anything that was produced before their endeavor.

Watches (a very old tech) - there's plenty of people who could make one better than Apple, but most people rely on those same people to have the correct time on their phone.

The iWatch, if it's even a true concept, is something no one has even thought of yet and the rumors are just a pale glimmer of what it will be. ...or it will never exist.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    MP3 players (an emerging tech) - Apple made them better than anyone else.

Cell phones (an emerging tech) - Apple made them better than anyone could conceive.

Tablets (an emerging tech) - Apple showed how they should be made and in the process leap frogged anything that was produced before their endeavor.

Watches (a very old tech) - there's plenty of people who could make one better than Apple, but most people rely on those same people to have the correct time on their phone.

The iWatch, if it's even a true concept, is something no one has even thought of yet and the rumors are just a pale glimmer of what it will be. ...or it will never exist.

MP3 players are just portable music players. These existed as transistor radios even before Apple was a company.

Cell phones and smartphones existed well before Apple released the iPhone. Same for the tablet. The rumoured iWatch is not any more "a very old tech" than any of those items that are doing something different with a general form factor.

Wearables are coming and will be a huge market. I doubt Apple will ignore it.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    hentaiboy wrote: »

Lots of intelligent comments in that article. To me, this does seem like the hardest thing Apple has ever had to figure out because of the apparel/jewelry/fashion aspect that will need more attention than simply making a quality CE. I hope we're finally ready for wearables but like the smartphone and tablet market Apple may not strike for many years.
  • Reply 31 of 63

Just did a bit of research, now this is pretty interesting and makes a lot more sense. http://mobihealthnews.com/28349/apple-patents-seamless-heart-rate-sensor-for-authentication-personalization/

Apparently, while the photo in the patent is of an iPhone, the iWatch is supposed to have biometric sensors built in, right? I could see this as being a huge deal if you could access all your Apple devices by having your iWatch authenticate you through your heart rate and when you're in proximity of your devices it logs you in and you start using right away. 

Not sure why AppleInsider didn't post something about this, or maybe I missed it, but this makes sense. Not an amazing stand alone device but enhances their entire product line.

• Reply 32 of 63
    solipsismx wrote: »
    MP3 players are just portable music players. These existed as transistor radios even before Apple was a company.

Cell phones and smartphones existed well before Apple released the iPhone. Same for the tablet. The rumoured iWatch is not any more "a very old tech" than any of those items that are doing something different with a general form factor.

Wearables are coming and will be a huge market. I doubt Apple will ignore it.

Yes indeed.

I had one of the first portable music players. Apple got into the portable music players when they went digital and it was still an emerging market. It is slowly dying out now because of current cell phones. That is no longer an emerging market and we can see the evidence of that now.

"Cell phones" have been around for a while. My father had one of the first brief case models, so I do understand that. However when Apple got in the market it was still an emerging market.

I used one of the first MS tablets. I know they've been around and stated that. It was, and still is an emerging market. Even more than the last two.

A watch is very old tech. I'm surprised your debating that.

I didn't say anything about "wearables" other than the fact that it's going to take something extremely impressive to make someone want to actually wear something. I do doubt that it will have the word "watch" in the name.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    A watch is very old tech. I'm surprised your debating that.

I'm not debating that.
    I didn't say anything about "wearables" other than the fact that it's going to take something extremely impressive to make someone want to actually wear something. I do doubt that it will have the word "watch" in the name.

You did. You mentioned a watch which implies a wrist-worn device.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm not debating that.
    You did. You mentioned a watch which implies a wrist-worn device.

For heavens sake my friend, it's tough to decide when to be specific. I was referring to the alleged future product by the alleged, rumored name which at this point everyone on Earth seems to know by the rumored name.
  • Reply 35 of 63

Just did a bit of research, now this is pretty interesting and makes a lot more sense. http://mobihealthnews.com/28349/apple-patents-seamless-heart-rate-sensor-for-authentication-personalization/

Apparently, while the photo in the patent is of an iPhone, the iWatch is supposed to have biometric sensors built in, right? I could see this as being a huge deal if you could access all your Apple devices by having your iWatch authenticate you through your heart rate and when you're in proximity of your devices it logs you in and you start using right away. 

Not sure why AppleInsider didn't post something about this, or maybe I missed it, but this makes sense. Not an amazing stand alone device but enhances their entire product line.

So far every mainstream product Apple has released has been something that reaches out beyond their current ecosystem. You didn't need a Mac to use itunes which was a large profit generator. You didn't need a Mac or any other Apple product to use an iPod (large profit generator). You didn't need a Mac to use an iPhone, and the same is true with the iPad.

While I think they would add a couple of nice features built in if you did use their ecosystem, I don't believe it will be a major selling point for their next mainstream product. That seems to be the lesson Steve brought back to Apple. It will probably function perfectly well without owning a separate Apple device that you may not own.
  • Reply 36 of 63

Wasn't saying that iWatch would be required for usage but maybe instead of putting the finger sensor on all Apple devices, as I've seen rumored in the past, then this could could be used instead. Be used for quicker and more secure access.

• Reply 37 of 63

Wasn't saying that iWatch would be required for usage but maybe instead of putting the finger sensor on all Apple devices, as I've seen rumored in the past, then this could could be used instead. Be used for quicker and more secure access.

Myself being largely invested in their ecosystem I agree. I just don't see it as a proper business model to make their device dependent on owning another of their devices. Looking at their track record, I think they agree. It's awesome when you have invested in their ecosystem, however I know far too many people who only own one Apple device if one at all. Making it depend on owning another Apple device is bad business 101.

As bad as iOS and OSX fragmentation is, (I know it's no where near as bad as android before you jump down my throat). I'm not sure what the next device will bring but they can't make a device that's dependent on one of their others. Where do they draw the line?... A4, A5, A6? iOS4, iOS5, iOS6?
  • Reply 38 of 63
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    November!?!?
    Does this mean Apple is doomed?
    All over again?
  • Reply 39 of 63

I read recently that one of the alleged 10 sensors on the iWatch will be a sweat monitor! It can allegedly tell a lot of personal things about you, but to interpret the data you need some wizardry on the unit.

And with perfect synergy of HealthKit and HomeKit, a snarky Siri will say 'You need a bath! I have just turned on the water heater at home. The water will be your preferred temperature when you get home in 20 minutes, since I see traffic is a bit on the heavy side on the way'.

And then your iWatch squirts a deodorant on you...

Seriously though, I really want a health-related hardware product from Apple. I am reaching an age where keeping track of things like Blood Glucose levels and activity is required!

• Reply 40 of 63
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Only worth if my opinion is exactly that.

I think if Apple releases an iWatch, it will be positioned as a luxury item.
    I think that the gen0 features will be basic, but so slick it will be revolutionary. Gen1 will bring three "missing" features and make it faster and gen3 will add previously-unknown-to-be-unmissable features and a form factor change.

To me, MCK's predictions seem gen3 if not gen5, like predicting a 64bit processor in iPhone. True now, but not on gen0.