Apple and IBM join forces in landmark push for iOS in enterprise

Comments

• Reply 61 of 249
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Cooks memo to employees:

Team,

Today, we announced a groundbreaking new partnership with IBM that will enable enterprises to put the power of big data analytics at their employees‘ fingertips on their iOS device. This exclusive global partnership brings together Apple‘s legendary ease-of-use and integrated hardware and software with IBM’s unmatched industry depth, enterprise software and expertise in big data analytics.

It also builds on the incredible momentum in Apple’s enterprise business. iPhone and iPad can be found in 98% of the Fortune 500. People love to use iOS devices and Apple delivers the things companies need most—security and scalable deployment along with a powerful platform for apps. With this announcement, we’re now putting IBM‘s renowned big data analytics at iOS users‘ fingertips, which opens up a large market opportunity for Apple. This is a radical step for enterprise and something only Apple and IBM can deliver.

IBM is known for helping customers leverage big data and analytics to make their businesses run better. With over 100,000 consultants and sales professionals, they also have massive scale and global reach. IBM‘s sales and consulting teams will also be selling iPad, iPhone and AppleCare for Enterprise as part of the partnership.

This partnership brings together the best of both companies. It’s great news for Apple, IBM and for enterprise customers worldwide and I’m really excited to see it take off.

Tim
  • Reply 62 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

I don't know whether to be cautiously excited or underwhelmed… when I go to IBM's web site all I see (aside from all the icons with broken image links) is a mountain of ambiguspeak about collaboration and cloud and data analysis and other buzzwords that don't mean anything on their own. What kind of workers will be using iPads? What will they be doing with them? Is every workplace a custom project? What about industries using very specific software that runs on Windows? Is this intended to displace Windows terminals and servers?

There's not enough information for a sub-average Joe like me to assess what it means.

Don't worry. If you need IBM's products and services they will find you and come pay you a visit. It seems like every time my company has put something out for tender Oracle, IBM and SAP start camping out at the office.

• Reply 63 of 249
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Right. Watson has been "fed" massive amounts of medical information and has apparently already assisted doctors with much improved diagnostics, plus these "expert" systems will either supplement or replace many information-heavy white collar jobs in the future.

http://www.ibm.com/smarterplanet/us/en/ibmwatson/work.html

It'll be super awesome if Watson were leveraged for the Health app (or something along those lines) in addition to whatever Apple/Mayo clinic have going on and on the AI side with Siri.

Cool and even more useful things ahead I hope.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

"The next big thing is here." Apologies (and sympathies) to Samsung.

Good one!

• Reply 64 of 249
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I'm also surprised that IBM is going to exclusively sell iOS devices to their enterprise customers.

Where did you read this?

• Reply 65 of 249
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Loving this news and Tim's response "I agree with eddy" when asked about Apples greatest pipeline which Eddy stated will be the best in decades.

Now Giggle girls all over the nrt are panicking and calling the partnership an act of desperation by Apple. LOL!!

reading the comments on the following article, I didn't know whether to laugh or shake my head:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101838702?__source=yahoo|finance|headline|headline|story&par=yahoo&doc=101838702
  • Reply 66 of 249
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

Given Apple and IBM's relative valuations, I wonder how long before they start to consider either a takeover of IBM or a merger once they've got their heads round Enterprise products and marketing?

This will never happen. IBM has a long history of screwing over Apple and NeXT.

This is a synergistic relationship to protect IBM from losing out in the mobile space, and thus getting shut out of having a complete solution for their backend services.

Apple will be the one dictating the relationship, unlike all the past history of attempted partnerships.

It's good for both Apple and IBM.

IBM's partnered recently very closely with GlobalFoundries and others to position itself safe on all fronts.

• Reply 67 of 249
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Did any of these so-called analysts see this coming?

When the man said he was doubling down on secrecy, he meant it.

• Reply 68 of 249
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Dammit ... :wow:

The new programming language!

Now I get it!

• Reply 69 of 249
    chris_ca wrote: »
    Where did you read this?

http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/15/technology/ibm-apple/index.html

I can't wait to see how media outlets try to spin this against Apple.

Also I think IBM should hammer a nail into Giggle's coffin by dropping support for droid. XD
  • Reply 70 of 249
    rogifan wrote: »
    Quite honestly I think Google should be shitting themselves more than Microsoft. Oh and Samsung too. I love it. :D

Think of it more like a "sideline shitfest."

IBM just did for Apple what they did for MS back in the day. Most of us don't know how powerful IBM is in the bigger business sphere. They've been beating the "Big Date" drum for a while now, and they have the space all to themselves. Microsoft's been asleep all through Ballmer's era and he never saw the buzzards circling...

Samsung's view of the future is too focused on where Apple is/was, not where they're headed. Sammy thinks all they need is a couple of anti-Apple ads to win the game, or a new super-phone every few months. Google aimed too low. Security is too important to enterprise, along with handling hundreds, of not thousands of iDevice updates and deployments. Apple played the long game, like IBM, and that won the battle for enterprise.
  • Reply 71 of 249
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    Its exciting news as an apple investor for sure. Obviously everyone has been wondering when apple enterprise was coming.

Our work software at hospitals and clinics are on windows and both the software interfaces and the OS/software/browser stability are quite frankly still terrible for whatever reason.

If a cleaner, simpler, secure mac/tablet based IBM setup could bring more "rationality to this space", it can only help further drive enterprise companies to improve to compete (like microsoft).
  • Reply 72 of 249
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Doesn't Big Blue still make some big iron?

Yes. In fact, they make a wide variety of servers, including mainframes.

Bother IBM and Oracle have been dumping large sums of money expanding their R&D in CPU architectures and server designs.

• Reply 73 of 249
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Is it just me or is this news HUGE ?
  • Reply 74 of 249
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Okay, I guess it depends on how you read it.

Only IBM is going to sell iOS devices with this stuff (this is what they mean)

or IBM is going to sell only iOS devices with this stuff.

• Reply 75 of 249
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Too early to tell. We have no idea how it will manifest. It may be nothing more than IBM becoming a reseller of iPads, although even that would be pretty good.

• Reply 76 of 249
    lukefrenchlukefrench Posts: 102member

In other news, Hell Inc announced the opening of a brand new skating ring.

Seriously this is beyond big, and on the heels of Microsoft layofs this is striking !

• Reply 77 of 249
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lukefrench View Post

Seriously this is beyond big

Does it improve or diminish my chances of buying a 5.5" iPhone this year? ;)

• Reply 78 of 249
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

It's huge. I mean HUGE

• Reply 79 of 249
    chris_ca wrote: »
    Okay, I guess it depends on how you read it.
    Only IBM is going to sell iOS devices with this stuff (this is what they mean)
    or IBM is going to sell only iOS devices with this stuff.

I agree the article is vague and I'm not the original poster you replied too, I wonder where he got his data from.

Like I posted earlier, I hope IBM drops support for droid. This would allow tighter integration, clear focus and more control. I kinda smell this happening though.
  • Reply 80 of 249
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Huge.  Simply huge.