Review: Automatic Link works with your iPhone to make you a better driver

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    A nice feature for some is that it records your last position so if you park in some large parking lot it can help you find your car again if you happen to forget.

So it makes you a "more efficient" driver. But are you REALLY a better driver? What is a better driver anyways, it can be defined a LOT of ways. I'm a better driver because I have raced/autocrossed/track day'd many times. My attention behind the wheel and skills are way higher than the average public. I also do drive my little car efficiently, but my sports car is for enjoying some speed. Hard accel and braking don't concern me. Ultimately though, aside from being more frugal, what has the app done for your situational awareness? How confident are you driving in rain/snow? Do you even know how your car and your own reflexes respond in an emergency situation?
    I'm all for better MPG and better feedback in that sense. But driving is a complex activity and using an iOS app isn't making you THAT much better on the whole. Let's not lure ourselves into thinking it's making us "better drivers".
    Drivers improve when they can practice panic stops, skids, fast lane changes, etc at a live driving school.

It;s really nice for help reducing costs but if could help you be a better driver by making you more aware of your speed if you're doing the same mundane drive to and from work by letting you know if you go over a certain speed or by letting you know when you'e doing a hard break that may teach you to not break so late which potentially could prevent an accident. But that's really stretching it. I'd say I am a better driver because Automatic has brought to the forefront more of my driving habits and I do know when I tried to drive with a bad flu that I made a lot more errors that affected the Automatic app. But that's anecdotal and doesn't seem to be their focus. Good driving skills won't be borne out of a OBD-II accessory and iPhone app.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    1. "The short version is, the car is more fuel-efficient accelerating slowly rather than quickly."

It's not as easy as that, the engine needs to be loaded for it to be efficient. Study one of these babies to see what I mean: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GADM7ES4LmE/UCnJxpi_8JI/AAAAAAAACyQ/dfZAJMS-dLY/s592/2004 prius motor map.png

So the short version is really, the car is more fuel-efficient accelerating quite quickly but not overly so. This really depends on the gearbox as well, if it can keep the engine at peek efficiency throughout the acceleration you're winning. So the short version should perhaps be that there is no short version? Except maybe to say that flooring the car is probably not fuel efficient.

2. "Doesn't reveal what speed or RPM engine is most efficient"

No, unless it had the same diagram as above (RPM - Torque - Efficiency) for every engine that the device is plugged into, plus access to both RPM and torque in real time this is simply not possible to reveal. The engine doesn't even have one optimum RPM, see diagram above.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    vmarks wrote: »
    Can you recommend some of these products?

I don't use one, but I've seen quite a few a car shows. For just about every car. They seem pretty cool.

http://www.euronews.com/2014/04/24/smartphone-controlled-box-claimed-to-boost-your-cars-power-and-economy/
  • Reply 24 of 27
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Good question. I assume they can read them but ignore most of them. They have added some additional codes like engine check and the app can call people automatically if it detects an accident.

The app will sit in the background and auto connect the Automatic when you turn on your vehicle. You can do whatever you want on your phone. If you do kill the app it will remind you that the app needs to be on (not in the foreground) to work with Automatic. Since we've had that feature for a few years now with iOS it's not an issue.

Cool--thanks!

• Reply 25 of 27
    solipsismx wrote: »
    With Automatic that isn't the case. It's not altering your car's electronics; it's just reading some of the stats.

Nah, that's what I have. Came with my 2014 Jeep. The cool ones I've seen at car shows are on a totally different level and they do some really amazing stuff. I don't know if they're custom items/apps or not, but they're slick and I've seen them used with tablets and phones on just about any car that has electronics under the hood.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Niklas Ohlsson View Post

1. "The short version is, the car is more fuel-efficient accelerating slowly rather than quickly."

It's not as easy as that, the engine needs to be loaded for it to be efficient. Study one of these babies to see what I mean: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GADM7ES4LmE/UCnJxpi_8JI/AAAAAAAACyQ/dfZAJMS-dLY/s592/2004 prius motor map.png

So the short version is really, the car is more fuel-efficient accelerating quite quickly but not overly so. This really depends on the gearbox as well, if it can keep the engine at peek efficiency throughout the acceleration you're winning. So the short version should perhaps be that there is no short version? Except maybe to say that flooring the car is probably not fuel efficient.

Exactly, maximum fuel efficiency is when rpm is at max torque!

Have a look at your engine's motor data, printout the diagram and put it next to rev counter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eco_driving

In Europe there is driving classes teaching Eco Driving, perhaps you'll find them in the US as well.

A really good way to conserve fuel is to use the cruise control.

• Reply 27 of 27
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    [QUOTE]In fact, we frequently use the clutch and coast to conserve gas,[/QUOTE]

Actually, you are using more gas doing that rather than downshifting. When you are using the engine to brake, it doesn't require fuel to turn over. I have a ScanGuage on both of my vehicles and unlike this product it does provide real time information, including estimated MPG - and you can see the MPG shoot up (i.e. efficiency increase) when using the engine to brake. Plus it's more fun and one of the pro's in owning a manual transmission!

I'm not interested in this product either - create an account for an ODBII monitor? No thanks!