Lenovo axes small Windows tablets in the US after struggling to compete with Apple's iPad mini [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

• Reply 22 of 73
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I love it! Made me laugh. I mean, "Dig it!"

Best.

I grok!

Robert A. Heinlein (1961)

• Reply 23 of 73
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    "Ask, and it shall be given you…"
    –Matthew 7:7

That doesn't get old. Thanks. ????
  • Reply 24 of 73
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    I've got Apple money burning a hole in my pocket, release something already!
  • Reply 25 of 73
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Will the iMac ever be radically redesigned, or has it reached the point of perfection for its genre?
  • Reply 26 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Will the iMac ever be radically redesigned, or has it reached the point of perfection for its genre?

When OS XI comes out, the iMac design will just slide down in front of us on our desks. The stand will be redesigned to make moving from a vertical to horizontal workspace effortless, but the body is about as good as it will ever be.

• Reply 27 of 73
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mpantone wrote: »
    It's a logical deduction since that's the market space. Some companies are selling lots of small tablets. Others are not. They are competing for a slice of that particular pie and they are losing based on poor sales.

It's an elementary notion of the free market economy.

It can be applied to pizzas, toilet paper, candles, whatever.

Lenovo doesn't necessary have to admit it in an official press release for it to be true.

In the same way, Blockbuster doesn't have to state in a press release that Netflix crushed them.

If you wish to understand business better, you should familiarize yourself with the basic concepts of the free market economy as well as the notion of competition. This knowledge can also help you in other areas, such as investing.
    Excuse me? Apple's iPad sales have basically been flat for several quarters now. Analyst consensus this quarter is more of the same. One could argue the Apple/IBM partnership is partially to help increase iPad sales. Since the iPad mini existed before these 8" Windows 8 tablets I don't agree it's a logical deduction. My deduction would be the larger Windows 8 tablets having success are the 2-1 devices and they're mostly being used as laptops.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I thought God sounds like James Mason?

And Moses sounds like a Brooklyn Jew. :lol:
  • Reply 30 of 73
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [@]Christopher126[/@], did you think your comment would spur all hear other replies?

The iMac was radically redesigned less than two years ago.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,595member
    This might be a "Windows thing" as Lenovo isn't cutting any of their small Android tablet offerings. From another Apple fan site:

"...the company’s Android efforts will continue. The computer maker currently offers five Android-powered slates under 10 inches on its website and it’s possible that these numbers could go up once its deal with Google comes to a close. It’s too early to determine exactly how big of an impact Lenovo’s decision will have on the tablet market as a whole, but from the look of things, Microsoft’s loss will likely be Google’s gain."
  • Reply 32 of 73
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Excuse me? Apple's iPad sales have basically been flat for several quarters now. Analyst consensus this quarter is more of the same. One could argue the Apple/IBM partnership is partially to help increase iPad sales. Since the iPad mini existed before these 8" Windows 8 tablets I don't agree it's a logical deduction. My deduction would be the larger Windows 8 tablets having success are the 2-1 devices and they're mostly being used as laptops.

Whether or not the market space is growing is irrelevant.

The fact that Lenovo is not selling many of their smaller Windows tablets in the US market. There is little demand for their devices from the US audience whereas Apple sells lots of them. Note that Lenovo claims the smaller Windows device is more successful elsewhere and that sales of their 7-inch and 8-inch Android tablets are good.

There are regional differences in terms of customer interest for the planet. The product mix in one area may be considerably different than somewhere else. 

The fact that the iPad mini existed first doesn't matter. Competition can come from a newcomer in the form of a new product that has significant differentiation than existing products. Just ask BlackBerry.

In business, competitors can enter and exit at any time. It's not a track meet with starting blocks and a finish line.

• Reply 33 of 73
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    This might be a "Windows thing" as Lenovo isn't cutting any of their small Android tablet offerings. From another Apple fan site:

"...the company’s Android efforts will continue. The computer maker currently offers five Android-powered slates under 10 inches on its website and it’s possible that these numbers could go up once its deal with Google comes to a close. It’s too early to determine exactly how big of an impact Lenovo’s decision will have on the tablet market as a whole, but from the look of things, Microsoft’s loss will likely be Google’s gain."

Interestingly I see more MS Surfaces in public than I do Android tablets.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mpantone wrote: »

The fact that Lenovo is not selling many of their smaller Windows tablets in the US market. There is little demand for their devices from the US audience whereas Apple sells lots of them. Note that Lenovo claims the smaller Windows device is more successful elsewhere and that sales of their 7-inch and 8-inch Android tablets are good.

There are regional differences in terms of customer interest for the planet. The product mix in one area may be considerably different than somewhere else. 

The fact that the iPad mini existed first doesn't matter. Competition can come from a newcomer in the form of a new product that has significant differentiation than existing products. Just ask BlackBerry.

In business, competitors can enter and exit at any time. It's not a track meet with starting blocks and a finish line.
    Still that shouldn't be in the headline unless AI has data to support it. The iPad mini isn't a new product. Lenovo would/should have known the US market not to introduce a product they knew couldn't compete (assuming iPad is the reason).
  • Reply 35 of 73
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Funny, Jung. :)

Careful, my son....Or God may turn your jawbone into an ass! Hmmmm. I think that's how it goes? :)

What's my Bluetooth headset got to do with it. :)
    When OS XI comes out, the iMac design will just slide down in front of us on our desks. The stand will be redesigned to make moving from a vertical to horizontal workspace effortless, but the body is about as good as it will ever be.

Apple's turning it up to 11!
    gatorguy wrote: »

Android is free. Windows is not.
    rogifan wrote: »
    Still that shouldn't be in the headline unless AI has data to support it. The iPad mini isn't a new product. Lenovo would/should have known the US market not to introduce a product they knew couldn't compete (assuming iPad is the reason).

Quit before they try?
  • Reply 36 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

"An iPad, an iPad, my Surface for an iPad!"

Richard III

"Now is the winter of our discount tent! :)

Richard III

• Reply 37 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And Moses sounds like a Brooklyn Jew. image

:)

• Reply 38 of 73
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quit before they try?

The hardest  thing to do is say 'no' - Steve Jobs.

Really.  I read this thread, and it basically boils down to

Tablets have been a niche.   They are too big to be really mobile, mobile phones do 100% of what tablets do, just smaller, and there is just too much 'windows' in the world for work to be done on them.

The iPad Mini was Apple's feint to the gap between the 10" iPad, and the 4" iPhone, a gap that Android was making millions of sales into.  the Mini closed that gap (along with the crapware Android tablets).   a 5ish in iPhone will close it further

A late stage small format windows tablet had no chance.  Microsoft wasn't building Windows to scale down, and it's millions of input options made it more sucky than windows on a laptop, where at least it was optimized for that small set of inputs (and lenovo's nipple and 4 sets of buttons still suck... gawd I hate the nipple).  a full size surface/win-tab is at least a decent looking thing.   Lenovo came late to the market and brought a 14" broken down to 8"  knife laptop OS on a crapware HW platform to a gun fight where 8 and 10" rule.   Ain't gonna fly.

And since the only tablet of that <9" form factor that was selling (profitably) was the Mini, and then BAM, the Mini RD came out with 'same specs' as the iPad Air.... Lenovo had no space to run to.... it had to get out.

As for the tablet market... yep, it's flat.   Part of that is the internet... I'm still running on an iPad2 (sold my MBP in fact, so it's a mac mini or a ipad, or my work windows laptop), because as long as my internet is fast, I really don't need more iPad.   I feel the refresh cycles on the iPad will be 3+ years, longer than a laptop (less breakage), and longer than an Iphone (less breakage and less demand for better battery better LTE, lighter, more mobile capabilities [m7, mobile payments].

Thus... I think iOS8 will be a turning point for tablet sales... they will be able to do more, be more laptopish, a better game console, and a better business tool.  IBM moving software to them in the enterprise, and Microsoft putting efforts in Office on the iPad bode well for the next refresh cycle.   IT will slowly begin to be removed from the controls of the MCSEs who feel their control slipping away, and put back into the business.

• Reply 39 of 73
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

I have one, the ThinkPad 8. Though I like it a lot I will probably sell it now since I have a Surface Pro 3, there is no need for two Windows 8 tablets. Lenovo is a really popular brand here in Switzerland, the ThinkPad 8 is even sold at our Post office, that's where I bought mine, went to ship a care package to my daughter when she was studying English in England for a month, came out with a new toy. So I think the availability, pretty much every computer store small or large sells them, has a lot to do with why they are selling here. I don't know what the situation is like in US but I think Lenovo makes most of their sells through the web. Places like BestBuy only carry the Mix series in their stores, at least according to their website.

I don't think it has anything to do with the size of the tablet as Dell seems to be selling their Dell Venue 8 Pro's with some success but again I think this has a lot to do with availability as they can be found almost everywhere, Costco, SamsClubBestBuy, Microsoft Store Outlets, etc., also probably that their cheap, 222.00 dollars for 32GB and the 64GB version costs 275.00 dollars.

The iPad is a good tablet, it's the best selling gadget of all time next to the iPhone but that doesn't mean I want to see companies throwing in the towel with their tablets. We need more competition not less, I'm really hoping someone will come up with a new tablet OS that will rejuvenate the competitions offerings. Though I like Windows 8 it's more then apparent it's no match for iOS, Android tablets are selling okay and I have high hopes for the new L release of Android but it's more then likely most companies will still continue using their ugly, bastardized, sluggish versions that they continue to force down peoples throats, so what's left? This is a dark time, it seems like everyone has given up trying to compete with Apple or are settling with just having something that sells but no is innovating anymore when it comes to the mobile OS. Maybe Ubuntu Touch will be my night in shining armor but they have a llloooooonnnnggg way to go before it's ready.

• Reply 40 of 73
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Alternate: I think different, therefore iPad. ????

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you guys wanted to use Descartes memes, you could have gone with "Give her the iPad."