Video shows supposed 4.7-inch 'iPhone 6' display scratched by sandpaper, suggests not sapphire

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    So the supposedly VERY RELIABLE Sonny Dickson* is actually just another big phony? Hahahaha!

*He gave this component to Marquez Brownlee.

AFAIK Dickson didn't claim the part was sapphire. That assumption came from someone else, I believe Mr Brownlee.

EDIT: In fact Mr. Brownlee is cited as the source of the sapphire display claim right in this AI article.
  • Reply 22 of 71
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I thought typical sandpaper uses artificial corundum which means they are the same hardness.

Marvin wrote: »
    It's probably because it's one of those Goophone parts

That front panel has a thinner side bezels than I've seen on any knockoff device.
  • Reply 23 of 71
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Seriously, that guy from BlendTec is so dedicated, his will states that when he dies, his _____ __ __ __ _______ and the video posted on YouTube.

(Who wants to play Wheel of Fortune?) ;)

Body is to be blended?
  • Reply 24 of 71
    Body is to be blended?

What did he win Pat? ;)

$50,000 !!!
    (In Facebook stock)
  • Reply 25 of 71
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

My recollection from the original Browniee video, was that he did NOT claim that it was Sapphire. He just thought all the tests that the screen was standing up to "indicated" that it was.

For me; all the tests indicated that it was not. Particularly the bending. There is no practical (I say "practical") way to manufacture Sapphire to bend like that.

I'm sticking with Gorilla Glass 3, as I said in my comment back then.

That said, I believe it is NOT impossible to scratch a sapphire sheet with sandpaper. Softer materials are able to scratch harder ones under certain circumstances.

Also; AI could put a stop to this nonsense if they would just reach into their pocket and go pickup a nice used mass spectrometer, or maybe a tunneling electron microscope.

c'mon ya cheapies...

• Reply 26 of 71
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Could simply be he got the part and assumed because it's so tough that it's sapphire.. meaning it's a legit part, but he's clueless about what it actually is made off.. Could be next gen Gorilla Glass. lol

That said, it did hold up better than the iPhone 5s screen.. soooo it could be a sapphire laminate / composite..

That said, this also could add credence to the rumor that only the 5.5" will have Sapphire as a premium feature..

We won't know until September for sure...
  • Reply 27 of 71
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member

Video shows supposed 4.7-inch 'iPhone 6' owner being refused warranty coverage at Genius Bar for a fake iPhone 6 scratched by sandpaper, suggests owner purchased fake AppleCare coverage for his fake iPhone 6

• Reply 28 of 71
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    negafox wrote: »
    I do not believe tech sites and some other Apple fan sites are taking the Sapphire rumors seriously due to production costs. Supposedly such displays are still prohibitively expensive.

According to competitors and Corning who pray that's true.
  • Reply 29 of 71
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member

Damn, I won't be able to use that sandpaper iPhone case I was working on.  I won't be able to carry the phone in my pocket with sandpaper either.  Screw Apple, I am going Samsung.

• Reply 30 of 71
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Rumored iPhone prone to scratches!
  • Reply 31 of 71
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

So a fake part for a product we know nothing about is damaged, huh?

APPLE IS DOOMED.

• Reply 32 of 71
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's probably because it's one of those Goophone parts:

[...]

There's no way the knockoff manufacturers could use sapphire. 

I'd think there is little chance a knockoff would have glass harder than an iPhone 5s either, which to me, suggests this is a real iPhone 6 screen which apparently is not sapphire. Fine with me. None of my iPhones have ever been scratched, front or back.

• Reply 33 of 71
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'd think there is little chance a knockoff would have glass harder than an iPhone 5s either, which to me, suggests this is a real iPhone 6 screen which apparently is not sapphire. Fine with me. None of my iPhones have ever been scratched, front or back.

I guess you never ever went to a beach.

• Reply 34 of 71
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

So the supposedly VERY RELIABLE Sonny Dickson* is actually just another big phony? Hahahaha!

*He gave this component to Marquez Brownlee.

That means that Tom Dickson* is more reliable than Sonny Dickson.

Because iPhones always blend.

http://www.willitblend.com

*He is the founder of Blendtec, makers of enormously powerful blenders (1560 to 2400 watts.)

P.S.  One kilowatt is equivalent to 1.34 horsepower.  Do the math.

• Reply 35 of 71
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

It's a common mistake... I do it all the time with rumored iPhone 6 parts... he scratched the wrong side.

• Reply 36 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

It's a common mistake... I do it all the time with rumored iPhone 6 parts... he scratched the wrong side.

Funny but unless the sensor hole has been moved to the other side, he was scratching the top surface.

• Reply 37 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

My guess is both those displays are Gorilla glass.

• Reply 38 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

My guess is both those displays are Gorilla glass.

I tend to agree, perhaps Gorilla Glass 3 on the new screen.

• Reply 39 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I guess you never ever went to a beach.

I do go, but somehow I have prevented sand from getting on my iPhone.

• Reply 40 of 71
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I do go, but somehow I have prevented any sand from getting on my iPhone.

It’s called ‘taking care of your possessions.’ :p