Editorial: Google, Microsoft claiming Apple's crown, albeit from 1994

Comments

• Reply 21 of 130
    prokip wrote: »
    So sad, silly fellow Mr Sliver Shadowe, whoever you are (misspelling intended).

I have been around since DOS v1.0 and Windows 1.0 (does anyone actually remember what that looked like ?  I do and have a copy somewhere still.)  I was never an adopter of early Apple kit however defined but was aware of their offerings from Apple II days.  I have run as well as CEO'd businesses running everything from Unix, Linux, DOS, Widows and Apple OSs and applications.  I have also been an avid reader of the commentators for all those many years.

Without giving DED too much of a big head  (it's probably big enough already !), young Daniel, for relatively young he still is, is one of the best informed and technology literate commentators out there.  I have been able to fault some odd bits of stuff Daniel has written, but not often - and who could say that I was right anyway.

But more importantly DED is responsible for one of my most favourite technology quotes of all time (please feel free to interchange "Microsoft" and "Google" below):

<p style="color:rgb(45,45,45);margin-bottom:20px;">"Microsoft isn’t bad because it is closed; it is bad because it is disgustingly greedy. Windows Enthusiasts need to stop deluding themselves into thinking that they live in a free world of an open platform. They are slaves, and their master is not only vicious, but also incompetent and has no taste."  DED, Roughly Drafted Magazine Sept 11, 2007.</p>

<p style="color:rgb(45,45,45);margin-bottom:20px;"><span style="line-height:1.4em;">DED, keep going sir, you are well worth the read most times you put pen to paper and hey, I have made some real money from your insights and advice. </span>
    </p

Thanks for intentionally misspelling my name.

Do you feel sad that I'm giving a congrats to someone else here on the site? Do you misspell my name because it makes you feel better about yourself?

I'm not that old, but I know probably more about the history than the bloggers. Everyone now apparently needs to pick a side. When the Tandy cane out it was revolutionary, along wit the Apple. Things back then did not go obsolete within a year. I got my hands on them several years later. Along with the Comodore, the x86. Back then we had to build our own. I was around for DOS, and Windows 1.0. OX Warp. oX Warp 2. Heck I had a clone with Apples OS on it. I've built Mackintoshes. I've learned a lot over the years, however I'm not quite that old. If you take into consideration bleeding edge tech, the lowest denominator. I'd be in my early thirties. To be honest, I don't care. I just have some spare time at the moment.

I read the authors articles on this site as I did on his other. As I stated earlier it's always half wrong/half right.

He can read all he wants, but he didn't live through it and doesn't actually know. Throwing the gigantic leaps towards the every other OS/platform doesn't help his credibility either.
  • Reply 22 of 130
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Google is riding high, with a peak stock valuation and an army of devoted fans ready to explain why none of the problems the company is facing (including its clumsy transition to mobile) are actually problems. Companies that make money never stop making money, right? 

Then there's Microsoft, which has been losing its fans like a data center after a catastrophic power system failure. Ten years ago, Microsoft was 'the Google,' making money so fast and furiously that nobody could imagine its fortunes ever changing. I remember arguing this possibility with the Internet, and being told (even by Apple fans) that I shouldn't say such things if I wanted to retain any credibility. Because change never happens, right?

Microsoft faces challenges from all sides but there's something that you've failed to mention - they're making more money now than they did 10 years ago. They aren't anywhere near the state that Apple was in the mid-90s.

• Reply 23 of 130
    prokip wrote: »

Quoting DED:

<p style="color:rgb(45,45,45);margin-bottom:20px;">"Microsoft isn’t bad because it is closed; it is bad because it is disgustingly greedy. Windows Enthusiasts need to stop deluding themselves into thinking that they live in a free world of an open platform. They are slaves, and their master is not only vicious, but also incompetent and has no taste."  DED, Roughly Drafted Magazine Sept 11, 2007.</p>

What amuses me about this attitude on the part of Windoze fans (what an inconceivable concept!) is Darwin actually is open-source. You can download the kernel and build your own OS on top of it. (Of course, that might be too much like work, and if the "look and feel" was too much like OS X you might get a letter from somebody).

Try to do that with the Windows NT kernel and see what happens! But Apple is a "Walled Garden".

Hell, I think they should use that as a trademark: WALLED GARDEN™! Isn't that the original meaning of the Persian word the Greeks transcribed as "Paradeisos"?
  • Reply 24 of 130
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

Globalization for the best OS is the only thing left to do. UNIX please geez!!

What's crazy is I would have said Linux would have been ok to go with, maybe back in the early 2000s, but Linux never got any money from anyone, really, and no development support to let the linux core bloom with Apps and whatever else people would enjoy. I mean honestly it's not to late for someone to try and hire Linus (if even possible) to head a complete revamp of someones company, Google? Microsoft? who knows, but it might be too late.

But yeah windows just keeps piling on top of their os and re-using and scrapping etc...

agree with digitalclips "It's going to fun to sit back and watch this all play out."

Tens of billions of US Dollars has gone into the development of Linux, on all fronts. It's lack of a unifying vision for the client-side has fractured the Linux Desktop into small factions. The server-side is well defined by the corporations who've spent the billions, and want their services tailor made.

Unfortunately, the FOSS model fails when it comes to a UX/UI solution as there are too many cooks to spoil the soup.

KDE is the clothes with a thousands pockets and thinking it's cool.

GNOME gets continuously mocked by KDE users, but woke up with GNOME 3.x and has been following its UX/UI paradigms as much as possible from OS X, while attempting some new ideas on their own.

Meanwhile, Windows can still take a giant dump in UX/UI for ten years and have drones raving about it is better than OS X [which proves they are mentally challenged].

Linux will never take over the markets. Windows will continue to erode its dominance and concede it to OS X and Apple. This Apple + IBM partnership will only accelerate the future.

Google will eventually reach the impasse that advertising and spying on its user base will have to evolve, but will lose out.

• Reply 25 of 130
    Tens of billions of US Dollars has gone into the development of Linux, on all fronts. It's lack of a unifying vision for the client-side has fractured the Linux Desktop into small factions. The server-side is well defined by the corporations who've spent the billions, and want their services tailor made.

Unfortunately, the FOSS model fails when it comes to a UX/UI solution as there are too many cooks to spoil the soup.

KDE is the clothes with a thousands pockets and thinking it's cool.

GNOME gets continuously mocked by KDE users, but woke up with GNOME 3.x and has been following its UX/UI paradigms as much as possible from OS X, while attempting some new ideas on their own.

Meanwhile, Windows can still take a giant dump in UX/UI for ten years and have drones raving about it is better than OS X [which proves they are mentally challenged].

Linux will never take over the markets. Windows will continue to erode its dominance and concede it to OS X and Apple. This Apple + IBM partnership will only accelerate the future.

Google will eventually reach the impasse that advertising and spying on its user base will have to evolve, but will lose out.

I disagree. Linux is the bottom rung and will always be there. It will probably be there well after Windows and OSX fails. In two years Linux will have Googles search algorithms. It is the literal meaning of the lowest common denominator among software. It's been able to jump a bit, mostly due to Apple contributing to it, but it will always be there.

As patents die out Linux will either rise because there's no new innovation, or it will stay as the lowest common denominator.

I implore both GatorGuy and D.E.D. Read this. http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Google_(GOOG)/Filing/10-K/2009/F1931284#toc

Though, if the reading comprehension of posts on this site are indicative of gained knowledge from that link, no one will notice a difference.
  • Reply 26 of 130
    DED, Ima sending you a thersaurus via overnight mail so you can find alternate words for "[B]beleaguered[/B]." The word has a good dozen synonyms. Sometimes, even, one of those would have better than the one you over-used.

Otherwise, it was a good article.

One thing you touched on:
    [QUOTE]One example: in addition to massive layoffs, Microsoft is also revealing that a significant portion of what it does is actually farmed out to non-employee vendor and temporary contractors, resulting in exposure of "Microsoft IP and confidential information."[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=blue]Microsoft's massive layoffs of 18,000 people is well know, but their number of affected vendors and contractors, as last reported, came to 80,000. These are all slated for non-renew once their existing contracts run out. Existing contracts run for 18 months, so they will be hitting the road from now until January 2016. This means the actual full time employees will get up to only a 6 month employment; a third of what some vendors and contractors will get. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Question: Does Redmond have that many empty piano boxes for sleeping in??
  • Reply 27 of 130
    richl wrote: »
    Google is riding high, with a peak stock valuation and an army of devoted fans ready to explain why none of the problems the company is facing (including its clumsy transition to mobile) are actually problems. Companies that make money never stop making money, right? 

Then there's Microsoft, which has been losing its fans like a data center after a catastrophic power system failure. Ten years ago, Microsoft was 'the Google,' making money so fast and furiously that nobody could imagine its fortunes ever changing. I remember arguing this possibility with the Internet, and being told (even by Apple fans) that I shouldn't say such things if I wanted to retain any credibility. Because change never happens, right?

Microsoft faces challenges from all sides but there's something that you've failed to mention - they're making more money now than they did 10 years ago. They aren't anywhere near the state that Apple was in the mid-90s.

Adjusted for inflation, it's about the same as 10 years ago. I think Microsoft's real problem is that they are a distant third in mobile, and thats where the growth is. Yes, they do have the desktop locked up, but that's fading star. Enterprise is shared by Microsoft with IBM, which had a strategy going forward that out-shines whatever 3100 word geek-speak plan Microsoft's head babbler has penned.
  • Reply 28 of 130
    greatrixgreatrix Posts: 95member
    A well thought out, knowledgable piece.There is a lesson for Apple in it as well. I have a shelf in my store full of previous Apple manifestations. (fortunately I have the space). When I go into that store room, I am reminded of the rapid speed of development in the technologies behind IT and how quickly today's 'must have' is tomorrows obsolete piece of junk. Apple is currently 'up to speed' in keeping up. The integration of hardware and software development is key. The money markets could be a problem.
  • Reply 29 of 130
    Great article, but does anyone else have to deal with repeating sentences, half of the previous paragraph repeating in the next, and such? Retina iPad mini Safari, everything up to date.
  • Reply 30 of 130
    mikesmoke wrote: »
    Great article, but does anyone else have to deal with repeating sentences, half of the previous paragraph repeating in the next, and such? Retina iPad mini Safari, everything up to date.

That's just the authors form of writing. Cut and paste. He doesn't actually look back to see how many times he's pasted something. It boggles rational minds until you understand the source.

It's called propaganda in other circles of influence.

It's understood that if you repeat something three times, it's ingrained in your cerebral cortex.

It's understood that if you repeat something three times, it's ingrained in your cerebral cortex.

No harm there, but try forgetting it. Even if you barely read the first line, you already knew the other two.
  • Reply 31 of 130
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    He could do with an editor. And he hasn't really proven that MS are in the same position as Apple 1994. These kind of comparisons across times make little or no sense. If Apple take the enterprise market in tablets - which is happening - and if tablets replace laptops, which is not, MS can still sell office for iOS. The subscription model is yearly. The cost is higher than the wholesale cost of windows. Apple also make their 30%.

Google may hit the wall sooner than MS as ad revenues may be affected by mobile as revenues bleed to Facebook, Twitter, apps in general and so on. I don't really think Android has been a success. Not financially. DED made a good point about WebKit, largely an apple "owned" open source model. Ubiquitous in mobile but no real benefit to apple. I also agree that Samsung will take their ball home some day, fork android or use Tizen with backwards compatibility for Android.
  • Reply 32 of 130
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Microsoft needs to figure out if it wants to be horizontal or vertical. Pretty difficult to be both. I think the only reason they bought Nokia was to try and save Windows Phone platform. My guess is within the next 5 years their hardware stuff will be spun off into a new company and they'll be completely focused on cloud, software and services. I also think Nadella is going to advertise the stuff in their R&D labs more to compete with Google. So I think you'll have Google and Microsoft trying to one up each other on all the cool stuff they're working on, and Apple will be Apple and not tell you anything until a product is announced at a keynote.

I'm still waiting for Google to ditch Android though...
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/29/google-appears-ready-to-ditch-android-over-its-intellectual-property-issues
  • Reply 33 of 130
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Excellent substance, but the overuse of "beleaguered" was distracting. Other options: waning, tired, besieged, plagued.
  • Reply 34 of 130
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    That's just the authors form of writing. Cut and paste. He doesn't actually look back to see how many times he's pasted something. It boggles rational minds until you understand the source.

It's called propaganda in other circles of influence.

No harm there, but try forgetting it. Even if you barely read the first line, you already knew the other two.

You also have numerous spelling and grammatical errors in your posts, not to mention all of the editing that you've done.

Did you know the guy who wrote Hitler's speeches for him was also a grammar Nazi?
  • Reply 35 of 130
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    larrya wrote: »
    Excellent substance, but the overuse of "beleaguered" was distracting. Other options: waning, tired, besieged, plagued.

...and fucked.

;)
  • Reply 36 of 130
    asdasd wrote: »
    He could do with an editor. And he hasn't really proven that MS are in the same position as Apple 1994. These kind of comparisons across times make little or no sense. If Apple take the enterprise market in tablets - which is happening - and if tablets replace laptops, which is not, MS can still sell office for iOS. The subscription model is yearly. The cost is higher than the wholesale cost of windows. Apple also make their 30%.

Google may hit the wall sooner than MS as ad revenues may be affected by mobile as revenues bleed to Facebook, Twitter, apps in general and so on. I don't really think Android has been a success. Not financially. DED made a good point about WebKit, largely an apple "owned" open source model. Ubiquitous in mobile but no real benefit to apple. I also agree that Samsung will take their ball home some day, fork android or use Tizen with backwards compatibility for Android.

When I saw the iPad introduction, which was the first Apple intro I've seen, it blew me away and I thought it was going to replace or take over the business industry. Then I started touring businesses and noticed a lot of NEW computers being delivered even just this year. The employees were ecstatic to have a lap top. They were Lenovo "Tonka" style laptops that came complete with a docking station and external monitor. I asked the Director of Business why they were not using Apple laptops which had an obvious better build quality and I was told that the business had a 10 year deal with Lenovo to support all of the business functions required of the computer.

MS is going to be around for a long time to come.
  • Reply 37 of 130
    gtr wrote: »
    You also have numerous spelling and grammatical errors in your posts, not to mention all of the editing that you've done.

Did you know the guy who wrote Hitler's speeches for him was also a grammar Nazi?

Do you correct people on their grammar in your day to day experience? Just curious.

Edit:Edit:Edit: where did Hitler come into play regarding my posts?
  • Reply 38 of 130
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    Excellent Article.

Microsoft is lost and can't find its way. Microsoft's bread, butter and core competencies are: 1) Office. 2) Windows 3) Enterprise and Data Services. Yet why is its CEO Nadella forgetting about core competency #1 and #2, in favor of #3 and some nebulous new "Mobile" for which Microsoft has no competence much less a way of defining it? Nadella is still on training wheels. He simply is no Steve Jobs.

Google's core competency is ads and search. And the vast majority of its income is in ads. Yet as the world has shifted to Mobile (which Apple brought about with the iPhone), Google is making less income since Mobile also means fewer ads and less ad revenue. Like Microsoft, Google has no competence in mobile. The Android model is still about doing all the work and giving the profits away - to Samsung. Larry Page is not Steve Jobs.

Apple, on the other hand, has made the transition to Mobile. And it makes the vast amount of its profits in Mobile. And this has created a virtuous circle which also increases its non-mobile profits. Apple is there and moving forward with Steve Jobs' handpicked successor, Tim Cook. And there is no one who can whip up profits and productivity like Tim Cook - not even Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 39 of 130
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    oX Warp 2.

What's an oX Warp 2?
    He doesn't actually look back to see how many times he's pasted something.

That's not him, that's related to the forum software, getting the article from the front page (Quiller Media, Inc) onto the forum software, from Huddler Lifestyle. Which is shyte.
  • Reply 40 of 130
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gtr wrote: »

Hilarious! Wins the thread!