Earnings Preview: Wall Street expects solid quarter from Apple, but focus is on the fall

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I see he removed 'Cook' from your quote, I hate that when people edit what someone posts then make some snarky reply to the now totally different meaning.

SolipsismX heavily edited his post after I submitted my reply.

Here is SolipsismX's original post:

Quote:

How is this possible when Apple hasn't updated anything since becoming CEO. [sic]

In this case, it is SolipsismX who is attempting to rewrite history by editing a sloppy comment.

And here is the edited version:

Quote:

How is this possible when Apple hasn't updated anything since Cook became CEO¡

Let's see if SolipsismX tries to edit this one again.

• Reply 22 of 40
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

SolipsismX heavily edited his post after I submitted my reply.

Here is SolipsismX's original post:

In this case, it is SolipsismX who is attempting to rewrite history by editing a sloppy comment.

Take the high horse back to the barn now, please. Thank you.

He replied 9 minutes before you, explaining that you did not misquote him.

• Reply 23 of 40

Nope, just reporting what actually happened. Admittedly, around here that's a bit unusual.

:D 

Note that my first unedited reply (post #17) includes SolipsismX original comment (post #16) which was the one that was subsequently altered.

• Reply 24 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mpantone wrote: »
    In this case, it is SolipsismX who is attempting to rewrite history.

So where exactly am I trying to rewrite history? I thought my comment was clear. Since Apple only has one CEO I thought it was clear I was referring to Cook and the naysayers that claim Apple hasn't released any new products because they haven't released any new product categories. My initial comment may not have been as clear as it could be but you also made an erroneous assumption, which is something you have yet to admit.

PS: You've edited your last two posts. Does that mean you're trying to rewrite history? :no:
  • Reply 25 of 40

Ahahaha, your comment wasn't even clear to you, that's why you edited post #16.

I edited my last two posts to correct some typos. Regardless, it still doesn't change why you went back to completely rewrite post #16.

• Reply 26 of 40
    I guess Monday is starting off with a troll. This doesn't bode well for the rest of the week. :\

mpantone wrote: »
    Ahahaha, your comment wasn't even clear to you, that's why you edited post #16.

I edited my last two posts to correct some typos. Regardless, it still doesn't change why you went back to completely rewrite post #16.

It wasn't clear to me? That doesn't even make sense.
  • Reply 27 of 40

This is absolutely accurate.  Apple has been coasting on past products, and Cook has delivered precisely nothing thus far.  I very much hope these fall launches are amazing, but Apple really bet the bank on it.

• Reply 28 of 40
    This is absolutely accurate.  Apple has been coasting on past products, and Cook has delivered precisely nothing thus far.  I very much hope these fall launches are amazing, but Apple really bet the bank on it.

I called this one. Nothing? Nothing at all has been released since Cook became CEO?

Just in 2013 alone…
    • 13" MBP refreshed twice that year.
    • 15" MBP refreshed twice that year.
    • 21.5" iMac refreshed twice that year.
    • 27" iMac refreshed.
    • 11" MBA refreshed.
    • 13" MBA refreshed.
    • The New Mac Pro was introduced after 9 years of the same design.
    • iPad Air was introduced.
    • Retina iPad mini was introduced.
    • High-end iPhone was refreshed.
    • Mid-range iPhone was introduced to tackle more markets and quickly took position number 2 and settled as number 3 for the world's most popular smartphone.
    • 16GB iPod Touch was introduced to tackle more markets.
    • New AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule with 802.11ac were refreshed and given a new design.
    • Mac OS X got a new name and a major overhaul, not to mention it was made free.
    • iOS was redesigned from the ground up to be a modern OS that eschews the gimmicky look of the 2007 design.
    • iWork and iLife suite apps got a major overhaul, and most apps free with purchase of an Apple product.
    • iCloud had a major overhaul and more interconnects for smoother accessibility between devices.
    • Touch ID become the first consumer biometric that was actually useful.
    • 64-bit ARM processor with AArch64 was introduced with an OS, included apps, and IDE that full supported it, not to mention excellent documentation to help get 3rd-party developers to quickly support the better architecture.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I called this one. Nothing? Nothing at all has been released since Cook became CEO?

Just in 2013 alone…
    • 27" iMac refreshed.
    • 11" MBA refreshed.
    • 13" MBA refreshed.
    • Mid-range iPhone was introduced to tackle more markets and quickly took position number 2 and settled as number 3 for the world's most popular smartphone.
    • New AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule with 802.11ac were refreshed and given a new design.
    • Mac OS X got a new name and a major overhaul, not to mention it was made free.
    • iOS was redesigned from the ground up to be a modern OS that eschews the gimmicky look of the 2007 design.
    • iWork and iLife suite apps got a major overhaul, and most apps free with purchase of an Apple product.
    • iCloud had a major overhaul and more interconnects for smoother accessibility between devices.
    • 64-bit ARM processor with AArch64 was introduced with an OS, included apps, and IDE that full supported it, not to mention excellent documentation to help get 3rd-party developers to quickly support the better architecture.

Shhhhh. They don't count. Cook hasn't been CEO of three companies!!! /s

Still analysts will always gloom the next qtr: Can Apple keep it up? The underlining meaning is: analysts want to be the first to predict Apple's eventual doom even if they have been wrong for 15 years. One day they might be right.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    jungmark wrote: »
    Shhhhh. They don't count. Cook hasn't been CEO of three companies!!! /s

Still analysts will always gloom the next qtr: Can Apple keep it up? The underlining meaning is: analysts want to be the first to predict Apple's eventual doom even if they have been wrong for 15 years. One day they might be right.

That probably won't change since that's what they said when Jobs was CEO. Only after he died did the asshats move the goalposts to say, "Sure, Jobs could do it, but now Apple will crumble."
  • Reply 31 of 40
    goofy1958goofy1958 Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Doesn't the (rumored) iWatch concept feel vaguely PDA-ish to you?

The original Newton promised futuristic handwriting recognition that never quite worked. The iWatch promises futuristic speech recognition that...

Hmmm, I don't remember Apple promising anything with the iWatch as of yet.  How can it promise futuristic speech recognition, when it hasn't even been announced?

• Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I called this one. Nothing? Nothing at all has been released since Cook became CEO? ...

SolipsismX's response was exactly right, except that the original poster's name was "ManFromMars".  In other words, he was sharing his perspective with us, which indeed looks like the perspective of someone living on a different planet :smokey: 

• Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:

The original Newton promised futuristic handwriting recognition that never quite worked. The iWatch promises futuristic speech recognition that...

No, the rumored iWatch does not feel PDA-ish to me.  Apple touted handwriting recognition on the Newton, but no one has heard what Apple will tout for the iWatch.  I speculate that the iWatch will be very Jobsian, meaning they're thinking about how it can enhance our lives by applying advanced electronics technology to human lives.  In contrast, the Newton always seemed geeky to me, engineer-driven with insufficient consideration of the humanities.  Newton seemed like something Microsoft or Samsung or Google would have created.  The iWatch seems like ...  Well, I don't know what it seems like.  I, just like everybody else, have to be patient and wait for Apple to share their vision.  

• Reply 34 of 40
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Just in 2013 alone…

• 27" iMac refreshed.

• 11" MBA refreshed.

• 13" MBA refreshed.

I bet even had you used the [sarcasm]  [/sarcasm] codes you'd have gotten bites.

• Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

... still can't match the Newton.

Eat Martha.

• Reply 36 of 40
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Eat Martha.
    Actually "Eat up Martha".
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Eat Martha.

Perhaps a bit funny, but in no way representative of the final Newton OS release. Perhaps we can next start making jokes about how the iPhone doesn't have a copy/paste function.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by manfrommars View Post

Sorry, you seem to be in the wrong place.

• Reply 39 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

No, the rumored iWatch does not feel PDA-ish to me.  Apple touted handwriting recognition on the Newton, but no one has heard what Apple will tout for the iWatch. 

Well, Tim Cook was dropping hints about the importance of speech interfaces earlier this month:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/02/apples-cook-says-ios-8-voice-messaging-a-key-feature-prompts-speculation-of-inclusion-in-iwatch-

If it did have a touch interface, I'm not sure a watch face would have room for more than 1 or 2 buttons. Remember Apple would not make a big silly sized one, it would be small and elegant. My bet is for speech as the primary interface, backed by Siri and/or some Watson tech from the new IBM partnership. And I just think there is a striking parallel there between the first product released by the last man to take over from Steve, and this one. It's almost like they feel they have to really push the tech limits to live up to him.

Journalists leapt on the handwriting recognition errors in the Newton, and it will take a modern Microsoft-loving journalist about 10 seconds to find a voice query where Siri/Watson powered iWatch gives a nonsense answer, and plaster it all over the Internet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

I speculate that the iWatch will be very Jobsian, meaning they're thinking about how it can enhance our lives by applying advanced electronics technology to human lives.  In contrast, the Newton always seemed geeky to me, engineer-driven with insufficient consideration of the humanities.  Newton seemed like something Microsoft or Samsung or Google would have created.  The iWatch seems like ...  Well, I don't know what it seems like.  I, just like everybody else, have to be patient and wait for Apple to share their vision.  

We will have to wait and see. I think the PDA wasn't too geeky, it was just business focussed instead of general purpose. And the iWatch rumours suggest a health focus instead of general purpose.

• Reply 40 of 40
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Apple of today is considerably different than Apple of fifteen years ago.