Rumor: Rear shell for 4.7" 'iPhone 6' shown with inlaid Apple logo in new photos

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The part appears to be at a later stage of manufacturing than those shown in previous leaks, with a smoother appearance.

The old (possibly fake) part looked like it was machined from a billet of aluminum, just like the 5/5S.

The newer (also possibly fake) part looks like it was either stamped out of a sheet or extruded into a  mold.

Which could indicate that it is made from Liquidmetal (if it's real).

Yes, Liquidmetal is more expensive than aluminum (at least the platinum alloy Liquidmetal.)

But hey, I'd gladly pay a little more for a nearly scratch-proof shell.  No need for a case ever again.

Liquidmetal might mean fewer steps in the construction of the shell, and most importantly, less time per shell.

Because grinding out most of the material from a billet probably takes far longer than injection molding.

Time is money in manufacturing, so the time saved could offset the higher material cost (somewhat).

And recycling Liquidmetal could, in theory, require far less heat energy.  It never crystallizes like most metals.

So it can be heated to a putty-like consistency and molded like plastic.  No need to melt it down to a liquid.

Also, there isn't a massive pile of aluminum shavings to melt down and re-use for the next batch of shells. 

Not sure how many iPhones Apple recycles on trade-ins, but that would be the way to recycle Liquidmetal.

Interesting.

• Reply 22 of 37
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

It was published, but because of the flack received by the site who showed it, AppleInsider opted not to contribute to that hrang-a-thon. But to add fuel to that fire, here is the "Fugly Jock Strap" rear view.

As has been suggested elsewhere on the blogosphere this is possibly one of those Chinese knockoffs that appeared in the Rumor Arena last week.

Love those white bands. It's not mistakable with any other phone on the market from 40 ft away. Don't put the case on...it defeats the purpose...:). When I look at these bands, they appear to be stick-on protective bands which you'll peel off when use. No way in hell that Apple would design a protrude antenna that way.

• Reply 23 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

That version does not have the white inlaid logo, so perhaps that is an older design.

• Reply 24 of 37
    Wow these Chinese iphone 6 clones look really nice on the inside :lol:
  • Reply 25 of 37
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    I'm thinking die casting! That might be a sign that the so called Liquid Metal is being used.
    Stamping wouldn't give you the screw mounting locations common to iPhone designs and seen in these pictures.

It looks like the screw bosses have threaded inserts pressed into them. Internally threaded, that is. Is that a new thing? Do the aluminum cases also use inserts?
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

It looks like the screw bosses have threaded inserts pressed into them. Internally threaded, that is. Is that a new thing? Do the aluminum cases also use inserts?

Not sure but it looks perhaps some, but not all.

Image #1

• Reply 27 of 37
    mstone wrote: »
    Not sure but it looks perhaps some, but not all.

Thanks. So the more I look at this new "iP6" part, the more it looks cast, not stamped.

I'm sure that would be obvious to anyone familiar with type of stuff, but at first I thought no way do you cast anything this thin with normal metal, and have it come out this clean. But then on the other hand it's too thick around the screw inserts to be stamped. So a new molding process and a new metal alloy is an attractive explanation.

Too soon to break out the cigars, but still . . .
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:

I'm sure that would be obvious to anyone familiar with type of stuff, but at first I thought no way do you cast anything this thin with normal metal, and have it come out this clean. But then on the other hand it's too thick around the screw inserts to be stamped. So a new molding process and a new metal alloy is an attractive explanation.

Too soon to break out the cigars, but still . . .

I'm trying to find other significant differences. One I spotted is the side screws used to mount the side switches. On the 5s the holes are really shallow, but on the new part they have been beefed up and the actual sides of the case look thinner as well. Not sure what that means but I'm pretty excited. Can't wait. I have a feeling I'm going to logged into Apple.com at midnight one day soon.

• Reply 29 of 37
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    Where is the 5.5" iPhone6? It looks like the new 4.7" iPhone 6 will still be smaller than most of the competition. Most people around the world want something 5" or larger.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    peter236 wrote: »
    Where is the 5.5" iPhone6? It looks like the new 4.7" iPhone 6 will still be smaller than most of the competition. Most people around the world want something 5" or larger.

Where is the 5" or larger phone that has a decent operating system, a decent power-efficient processor, a decent ecosystem, a physically beautiful body, and so on?

Apple doesn't crank half-baked stuff out like nearly all the other companies, which are fast and technically competent, by the way, but not deliberate and perfectionist like Apple is in general. The larger Apple phones have been waiting for processor evolution and for display production expansion. Just wait. You will see. Well, maybe even you will see, I should say.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    kennmsr wrote: »
    It was published, but because of the flack received by the site who showed it, AppleInsider opted not to contribute to that hrang-a-thon. But to add fuel to that fire, here is the "Fugly Jock Strap" rear view.

As has been suggested elsewhere on the blogosphere this is possibly one of those Chinese knockoffs that appeared in the Rumor Arena last week.
    Thanks for the post. I did click the link and saw that the original site of the rumor posted it as well. I'll agree that "jock strap" look seems a bit off from apple..but then again I have this feeling with all the rumor pics, even the ones that turn out to be true. Apple seems to add a magical sheen to their products once it they finally release it. Sure, all the artistic photographs they take of it help and to hold it in person makes a big difference.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    mstone wrote: »
    I'm trying to find other significant differences. One I spotted is the side screws used to mount the side switches. On the 5s the holes are really shallow, but on the new part they have been beefed up and the actual sides of the case look thinner as well. Not sure what that means but I'm pretty excited. Can't wait. I have a feeling I'm going to logged into Apple.com at midnight one day soon.

Another little difference: the inserts in the new part are some kind of yellow metal, compared the the grey metal inserts in the older part. Suggesting new requirements in metal compatabilities.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    I hope they don't axe the current form factor. Many people prefer a smaller phone. Especially those of us who carry iPads for large screen functionality.
    I hope that this 4.7 inch iPhone is true, and there is no other model this year as even 4.7 inch is a bit big for some users.

I wish the noise about a 5.5" version would stop until such time that we actually see even a single part leak that would support an iPhone in that size.  So far, the rumor is very weak.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    kennmsr wrote: »

The poor junkyard dogs at MacRumors couldn't get past those white bands. Only one poster, shinyafro, took notice of the difference in the surface of the new part.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    Quote:

Where is the 5" or larger phone that has a decent operating system, a decent power-efficient processor, a decent ecosystem, a physically beautiful body, and so on?

Apple doesn't crank half-baked stuff out like nearly all the other companies, which are fast and technically competent, by the way, but not deliberate and perfectionist like Apple is in general. The larger Apple phones have been waiting for processor evolution and for display production expansion. Just wait. You will see. Well, maybe even you will see, I should say.

Apple claimed that there is no need for larger screen phones. All the Apple fans agreed that there is no need for them, not because of processor evolution or display production expansion. Now Apple is saying something totally different, and that there is afterall a need for larger screen phones, after losing market share, and therefore will release a 4.7" screen phone.

• Reply 36 of 37
    peter236 wrote: »
    Apple claimed that there is no need for larger screen phones. All the Apple fanatics agreed that there is no need for them, not because of processor evolution or display production expansion. Now Apple is saying something totally different, and that there is afterall a need for larger screen phones, after losing market share, and therefore will release a 4.7" screen phone.

Apple, or Tim Cook, never said there is no need for larger screen phones. He said they could not do a larger screen without making unacceptable tradeoffs. That was about two years ago. At that time, there was not enough LTPS screen manufacturing to supply Apple, nor was there the A7 or A8 that they're going to need for the higher density screens they will be presumably coming out with.

In the meantime, he pointed out the obvious advantage of the current sizes—perfect for one-handed use. In other words, we're not going to cut corners to make larger screens right now, so enjoy what we think is the ideal size under the current circumstances. He also said he would not rule out making larger screens in the future when the technology was right—words to that effect.

Why do you want to make stuff up like you just did?
  • Reply 37 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple claimed that there is no need for larger screen phones. All the Apple fans agreed that there is no need for them, not because of processor evolution or display production expansion. Now Apple is saying something totally different, and that there is afterall a need for larger screen phones, after losing market share, and therefore will release a 4.7" screen phone.

Why do people still spew this nonsense? Apple has only ever gained marketshare, by the way. Learn what numbers are.