OS X Yosemite Preview 4 brings redesigned Calculator, updated Dark Mode

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    crowley wrote: »
    You're flipping between talking about Apple and Apple's core OS development team.

1) Whom do you think puts that list together? Customer service reps? Apple Store retail employees? Paid Apple employees reading forums looking for otherwise undisclosed bugs? Do you think Apple's various developer teams are intimately aware of what is going on at the Apple Store in Chongqing, China or do you think they are focusing on the job they are paid to do? I'm guessing the latter.

2) When Mac OS X Yosemite gets released as a public beta there will be a Bug Reporting app included in which the million or so beta testers can (and should) report, in detail, all issues they come across.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    The first thing I thought when I saw the Calculator app's new look was "Ubuntu". Did anyone else get that impression? Also, why only two choices for the menubar and dock? Why not let us choose the color and transparency that would be better suited to the background image?
  • Reply 43 of 50
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    The first thing I thought when I saw the Calculator app's new look was "Ubuntu". Did anyone else get that impression? Also, why only two choices for the menubar and dock? Why not let us choose the color and transparency that would be better suited to the background image?
  • Reply 44 of 50
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yes, I'm saying that whatever team puts the bug list together is not aware of any bugs for that release

I think you're being naive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

anything else would be disingenuous.

Another way of looking at it is "focussed on the task at hand."

Apple may choose not to present a particular issue as a "bug," instead setting it aside as an operation they don't support, even if they may want to at some point in the future. That way they don't distract testers from focussing on things that ARE under development and uncovering genuine unknown problems.

• Reply 45 of 50
    If they carry on like this we'll wind up with Solitaire and a Start Menu.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Whom do you think puts that list together? Customer service reps? Apple Store retail employees? Paid Apple employees reading forums looking for otherwise undisclosed bugs? Do you think Apple's various developer teams are intimately aware of what is going on at the Apple Store in Chongqing, China or do you think they are focusing on the job they are paid to do? I'm guessing the latter.

Obviously the development team do, and I'm sure they're concentrating on their assigned tasks.  Never claimed otherwise, so your lists of sillies is just a silly list.  What relevance does that have to your claim that Apple, meaning the company and it's processes, are not aware of any issues when they put out a "no known issues" release?  The development team may not know of any issues, but if that's true then Apple need better communication lines between their bug report handlers and the development teams, because there sure as hell are outstanding bugs in every release.  And "no known issues" is a disingenuous statement when made by one area of the company, when another area of the company is very aware of issues.  The statement comes from Apple as a whole so it should reflect Apple as a whole.  

"No known new issues" or "No known issues in these areas..." would be fine.

• Reply 47 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

Also, why only two choices for the menubar and dock? Why not let us choose the color and transparency that would be better suited to the background image?

Because the color changes due to transparency already.

• Reply 48 of 50
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    solipsismx wrote: »

2) When Mac OS X Yosemite gets released as a public beta there will be a Bug Reporting app included in which the million or so beta testers can (and should) report, in detail, all issues they come across.

Apple do not have zero bugs in radar when they release a build to developers saying "No known issues". They have no p1s and possibly no p2s. There will be thousands of lower priority bugs. Software is never finished.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    ricklirickli Posts: 1member
    Does anyone else have issues with just going into apps and it taking forever to load? Or even a photo?
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Safari still giving rainbow wheels at times. By the way native text shortcuts (a la iOS 7 & OS X Mavericks) is working in DP4.