NBA star Kobe Bryant discusses day with Apple's Jony Ive set up by simple cold call

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

He might consider getting a college degree like Shaq.

I don't follow Basketball, but I was surprised to discover that Kobe never went to college.  He obviously did very well in the NBA, but if he wants to get into some serious post-NBA business dealings, he should at least take some time off and get serious about honing his business-skills.

A college-degree does not guarantee prevent one from being stupid.  History has shown many high-earners with college degrees getting swindled by their financial advisers because they just didn't have a clue what they were doing.  I think folks like Kobe though that is obviously thinking with a different mindset should get schooled in the basics so he could have some control of his business destiny.

• Reply 22 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My first advice would have been not to cold call these people but that clearly has worked out in spades.

When I was fresh out of school and without fear ...;)... I cold-called one of my personal heroes in the field of my interest (at that time) and he graciously gave me 1 1/2 hours of his time to discuss anything and everything in person, even though he was very busy. I will be forever grateful for his generosity.

My advice is to be persistent but friendly. A person has nothing to lose by trying and everything to gain.

In Kobe Bryant's case, the odds that he would be turned down for a meeting are pretty slim.

• Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justamacguy View Post

Let me see... If you tell your wife she can't hang with black basketball players you get banned from the court for life.

If you rape a girl and offer her enough money to drop the charges you get to be an Apple spokesperson.

Hmm... go figure.

He's not an Apple spokesman, but point taken.

• Reply 24 of 30
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

In Kobe Bryant's case, the odds that he would be turned down for a meeting are pretty slim.

Except perhaps with his mom.

• Reply 25 of 30
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I'm not sure you grasped the real point of what he was saying.

"If you rape a girl and offer her enough money to drop the charges you get to be an Apple spokesperson."

'you get to be an Apple spokesperson" does or does not refer to Kobe Bryant, the subject of the piece? Bryant's had numerous girl troubles, one where he famously bought his wife one ginormous rock IIRC.(a Colorado hotel incident?*).

* Yes, Colorado:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_Bryant_sexual_assault_case

and this sure looks like what the poster was alluding to re payoff: "Bryant did, however, issue the following statement through his attorney, as part of an agreement with the accuser to dismiss the sexual assault charge:".

• Reply 26 of 30
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justamacguy View Post

Let me see... If you tell your wife she can't hang with black basketball players you get banned from the court for life.

If you rape a girl and offer her enough money to drop the charges you get to be an Apple spokesperson.

Hmm... go figure.

I think that's an unfair statement.    I'm no defender of men who assault women and I'm not even a basketball fan, so I'm not favorably biased in Bryant's favor and I also think that athletes and actors get too many passes for bad behavior, but If you read the details of the case, there are many questions about whether it was consensual or rape and whether the woman had mental problems.    Beginning with, "what was she doing in his room in the first place?"    And according to the Wiki article about the case, in the public statement that Bryant made, which seemed to be part of the settlement with the woman, Bryant claims she received no money.    

• Reply 27 of 30
    mstone wrote: »
    He might consider getting a college degree like Shaq.
    Or like Steve Jobs¡
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Sooo ... if I cold called Jony Ive and asked for advice, do you think I'd get through? Much less get to spend a day with him? Guess I'd better go practice my free throws.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Or Bill Gates?

I think the idea that Kobe needs to get a degree to learn how to be a businessman is laughable. He can learn more by talking to Oprah or the CEO of Nike than from a whole semester of business classes.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kemo-de-Kino View Post

Sooo ... if I cold called Jony Ive and asked for advice, do you think I'd get through? Much less get to spend a day with him? Guess I'd better go practice my free throws.

You might if you were a friend of a friend or a friend of the family.