Apple's iPad reaches 78% North American tablet share as Amazon's Kindle Fire passes Samsung, Google

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I'll believe this when Amazon puts out actual data. I'll even take 'shipments.'

Until then, it's all speculation.

Isn't this web usage?

Sure it probably doesn't report true web usage, but the trends (growth, and declines) should be pretty accurate, I'd imaging.

• Reply 22 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

this is not share'  as in marketshare (sales) This is web usage.

Which is marketshare for all intents and purposes. It’s a tablet.

• Reply 23 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Still not clear about how these ownership/use percentages are derived. From web traffic to select sites? From apps?

• Reply 24 of 38
    jbelkinjbelkin Posts: 74member
    Actual usage is more important than PR announced "activations" or third party guesses on shipments? How could that be? It's much more important that millions of shipped boxes are sitting in back rooms, isn't it? Isn't it? By that measure, Android is WAY AHEAD! Sounds like a Samsung ad - each store has tens of thousands of our devices in the back rooms! Apple - only a few hundred.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    this is not 'share'  as in marketshare (sales)

This is web usage.  

I believe Geoff is correct, TS.

Market share only measure sales during a particular period of time... usually a quarter. In other words... they add up all the tablets sold during those 3 months... then figure out what percentage each manufacturer had. Market share measures sales.

Usage share measures the usage of existing devices... not just those sold over the last 3 months. Usage share measures usage.

A person using an iPad 3 from 2012 will show up in current usage stats... but not in current market share sales stats.

Could market share and usage share be the same number? Sure... but that would just be a coincidence.

Theoretically... the iPad could represent 78% of all the tablets sold in the US over the last 3 months... and it could represent 78% of web usage of all tablets in existence in the US.

But market share and usage share measure different things.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

For all intents and purposes, it's 'active eyeballs'   Not number of tablets in the market.

tablet market share in standard parlance is the percentage of sales of a tablet in a particular time period.   

web usage marketshare in this context isn't even that.  it's 'Ad-Impressions' on a Chitakla monitored sites.

Now in ad markets, one looks at 'demographics' and that's what this is best showing... If you put an ad out there 78% of the time it's being seen by an iOS user.  Could be 1 tablet generating a heckuva lot of page views or  10 million generating the views.  IT doesn't represent population, it represents 'activity.'  

NOTE:  With Apple announcing that Tablet Sales were DOWN 9% this quarter, it makes any 'inference' of increased iPad sales by chitalka even more highly questionable.  (at best, the new iPad users are 'surf' intensive, compared to olders ones who have converted to apps that have less chitlaka monitored ads).

yes I know I'm spelling chittylacka 18 different ways.

• Reply 27 of 38
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I believe Geoff is correct, TS.

Yes, I know the technical difference between the terms. Thing is, the piles of silicon stuffed into the channel mean nothing to the consumer when they’re not buying them, nothing to the developer when they’re not being bought, and nothing to the manufacturer except to scream that they were “sold” and refuse to give the actual number sold or stats on where they are.

NOTE:  With Apple announcing that Tablet Sales were DOWN 9% this quarter, it makes any 'inference' of increased sales by chitalka even more highly questionable.

No, it makes the reality all the more pathetic for Android.

• Reply 28 of 38
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Yes, I know the technical difference between the terms. Thing is, the piles of silicon stuffed into the channel mean nothing to the consumer when they’re not buying them, nothing to the developer when they’re not being bought, and nothing to the manufacturer except to scream that they were “sold” and refuse to give the actual number sold or stats on where they are.

on the first point, then you're arguing a point that chitalka is not addressing or caring about.  straw man argument.  I agree on your point, but it's not on point. 

on the 2nd.   doesn't mean that at all, since there are no numbers that relate to units... just 'impressions'   

• Reply 29 of 38

I'm surprised no one used the but but but user-agent meme. ;)

• Reply 30 of 38

on the first point, then you're arguing a point that chitalka is not addressing or caring about.  straw man argument.  I agree on your point, but it's not on point. 

It’s exactly what they are addressing. It’s the opposite of a strawman.

on the 2nd.   doesn't mean that at all, since there are no numbers that relate to units... just 'impressions'   

No. It’s physically possible that there are 500 trillion Android devices with 10 impressions and 10 iOS devices with 500 trillion impressions, but only an idiot would draw that conclusion from the data. There are more impressions because more are used. And, again, that is the only thing that matters to anyone.

• Reply 31 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Which gets to the bottom line point...  Chitaka is getting paid to advise people on how to advertise where.... their market is 'ad impressions sales' not tablet sales.

I can't wait for AdBlock Plus for iOS;-)

Even Adblock (or Ghostery or Little Snitch) can't prevent the most recent trackers from following you around the web. I have no doubt other ways of circumventing ad blockers are either already in use or in development. http://www.propublica.org/article/meet-the-online-tracking-device-that-is-virtually-impossible-to-block

That specific version of "canvas fingerprinting" tech is supplied by Addthis (aka Clearspring), who is also one of the 67 different trackers and ad providers that Ghostery just detected when loading this page.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the news that Google is moving away from Android as DED previously speculated. ;)

Check out the court calendar.
    When Oracle gets giggle back in court and by the balls
    There will be a reckoning
    And Java will be alone happy family again.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Makes me wonder WTF are those android tablets are used for...

Several points of interest regarding those stats:

1. I think a lot more old ipads are still in used than old android tablets, which support high ipad web usage compare to android.

2. Its possible to fool a website by changing youre device ID, my brother in law do this. That being said he is a 5 start geek, so I doubt a lot of android users do this. Then again, they seem to loved to play with settings...

3. Which type of websites are monitor can dramaticly affects the results. For example, if I was to do device stats on this website, I bet more Apple devices come here than other brands and the stats would be meaningless.

• Reply 34 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Here's a funny turn of events. Windows phone will now "spoof" Safari so that users of their phones get mobile sites when using IE as the browser. Seems their share is so low that many (most?) sites ignore Windows mobile and simply offer up a desktop site. So now Windows mobile will [B]say [/B]it uses Safari for browsing tho it does not. .
    :D
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Seems their share is so low that many (most?) sites ignore Windows mobile and simply offer up a desktop site.

GOOD. THAT’S THE POINT. IT’S NOT 2005 ANYMORE. THERE IS NO REASON TO HAVE A MOBILE SITE AT ALL. 

Why is anyone, anywhere okay with this? The PURPOSE of the iPhone was to present users THE REAL INTERNET. Web pages in the EXACT SAME WAY as on a desktop computer. That’s the idea. The bastardization that has happened to the Internet since the iPhone’s release is incomprehensible to me. Mobile sites have only grown in number, not shrunken. There shouldn’t be any mobile sites at all, and yet here we are, seven years later, AND OUR DEVICES ARE FORCED ONTO MOBILE VERSIONS EVEN IF WE MANUALLY INPUT THE REAL URL.

• Reply 36 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

GOOD. THAT’S THE POINT. IT’S NOT 2005 ANYMORE. THERE IS NO REASON TO HAVE A MOBILE SITE AT ALL. 

Why is anyone, anywhere okay with this? The PURPOSE of the iPhone was to present users THE REAL INTERNET. Web pages in the EXACT SAME WAY as on a desktop computer. That’s the idea. The bastardization that has happened to the Internet since the iPhone’s release is incomprehensible to me. Mobile sites have only grown in number, not shrunken. There shouldn’t be any mobile sites at all, and yet here we are, seven years later, AND OUR DEVICES ARE FORCED ONTO MOBILE VERSIONS EVEN IF WE MANUALLY INPUT THE REAL URL.

Amen. I can't stand it.

• Reply 37 of 38
    Thank you very informative. Can't believe I'm saying this but I would rather give up my TV than my Kindle. I also just discovered clippings.io for my Kindle notes and Kindle4rss.com for sending blogs to my Kindle which makes it even better.
  • Reply 38 of 38

Thank you very informative. Can't believe I'm saying this but I would rather give up my TV than my Kindle. I also just discovered clippings.io for my Kindle notes andKindle4rss.com for sending blogs to my Kindle which makes it even better.