Apple reportedly working with Swatch, other watchmakers to roll out multiple 'iWatch' devices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    You should go back and take a look. I wear my $150 Swatches far more often than I do my Baume & Mercier.... seriously.

Show off :lol:
  • Reply 22 of 86
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,731member
    I call shenanigans on this rumor.

Apple would not partner with anyone on the "next big thing". They want it all. Tight control of hardware and software is what makes Apple so profitable. Why let someone else make 30-40% margin on a $250-400 device when they can?
  • Reply 23 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Apple would not partner with anyone on the "next big thing". They want it all. Why let someone else make 30-40% margin on a $250-400 device when they can?

Because they let someone else make 70% margin already.

Though you’re right; this rumor is nonsense.

• Reply 24 of 86
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because they let someone else make 70% margin already.

Though you’re right; this rumor is nonsense.

There is nothing that prevents Apple from offering their own version, then partnering with the big watchmakers to offer their own variations with versions oriented to specific market niches. The rumor could, of course, be a complete fabrication but it's an interesting idea.

• Reply 25 of 86
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,424member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Swatch? That is sooooo 1986. What's next, they'll create a Pro version, designed by Keith Haring? Hey, if Michael Jackson can still release a new album...

You're thinking of the Swatch, the trendy 80's plastic watch. 

Think more in terms of The Swatch Group, which owns Breguet, Harry Winston, Blancpain, Glashütte Original, Jaquet Droz, Léon Hatot, OmegaLonginesRado, Union Glashütte, Tissot, Balmain, Certina, Mido, Hamilton, Calvin Klein, Swatch, Flik Flak.

That said, I think it may be hard to justify the purchase of a really high end smart watch given its rapid obsolescence. Unlike, say, a Rolex which will actually appreciate in value over time, any piece of computer technology will be nearly worthless within a few short years if not sooner.

• Reply 27 of 86
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I call shenanigans on this rumor.

Apple would not partner with anyone on the "next big thing". They want it all. Tight control of hardware and software is what makes Apple so profitable. Why let someone else make 30-40% margin on a $250-400 device when they can?

Well, Apple still doesn't make a lot of key components for existing products (LCD displays for example) If their effort (or one of the their efforts) is to marry a high tech digital display with a quality analog watch, they would need to partner.

If the watch crystal could be invisible to show a traditional, real watch face, and then turn opaque with a full color screen overlay, it would be incredibly interesting...

• Reply 28 of 86
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

I fear too much is being projected onto this whole "iWatch" thing. I expect it to be a simple accessory catered to… Well, people who would want that kind of accessory (whatever that turns out to be). I don't see it as being the All-Mighty Next Big Thing like the iPhone or iPad.

I mean really; if Apple TV was / is just a "hobby", this thing has to be no more than an "experimental hobby" for starters.

One thing thing I would bet though; whatever it is; a timepiece will be the last thing on it's feature list.

• Reply 29 of 86

I don't think this is that far fetched. A lot of watch companies buy their "movements" (the actual internal workings of the watch) from other suppliers and then put the movement into their own case/band.

The iWatch could be nothing more than a movement that Apple makes available which has the processor, circuitry and display (perhaps a couple basic sizes) that watch companies then put into their own custom case/band.

I simply don't think a standard one-size-fits-all iWatch would take off. There's a reason why there are literally thousands of watch styles - people like to have choice. Your watch reflects your style as much as it's used to tell time.

Having an Apple movement would mean that the functionality of every iWatch would be consistent and under Apple control while still allowing watch makers the freedom to continue making a wide variety of styles.

• Reply 30 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

I fear too much is being projected onto this whole "iWatch" thing. I expect it to be a simple accessory catered to… Well, people who would want that kind of accessory (whatever that turns out to be). I don't see it as being the All-Mighty Next Big Thing like the iPhone or iPad.

I mean really; if Apple TV was / is just a "hobby", this thing has to be no more than an "experimental hobby" for starters.

One thing thing I would bet though; whatever it is; a timepiece will be the last thing on it's feature list.

The only product likely to approach the scale of the iPhone will be the iPhone's replacement.

• Reply 31 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thrang View Post

If the watch crystal could be invisible to show a traditional, real watch face, and then turn opaque with a full color screen overlay, it would be incredibly interesting...

That would be awesome.

• Reply 32 of 86
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Show off image

Meh. I was afraid of being called that. In my defense, the B&M was a gift. Honestly. 8-)

• Reply 33 of 86
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Think more in terms of The Swatch Group, which owns Breguet, Harry Winston, Blancpain, Glashütte Original, Jaquet Droz, Léon Hatot, OmegaLonginesRado, Union Glashütte, Tissot, Balmain, Certina, Mido, Hamilton, Calvin Klein, Swatch, Flik Flak.

This is an amusing image to post in a Q&A forum thread about smart watches.

It's a photo of the legendary Omega Speedmaster, the watch that Apollo astronauts wore on moon flights. If I recall correctly, it may still be the sole timepiece certified by NASA for EVA (extra-vehicular activity, a.k.a. spacewalks). The ones that astronauts wear on space missions are owned by NASA, "loaned" to astronauts as mission equipment, and returned to the space agency after the mission is over. Many astronauts these days purchase their own Speedmasters.

It has a totally mechanical movement. It's not even automatic ("self-winding" via physical movement); you still need to wind it manually. Beyond the tachymeter in the bezel, it only has a stopwatch function.

It doesn't even have an alarm clock or show the date.

It is one of the most highly copied chronograph designs, arguably one of the best men's watch designs of all time (the Omega Seamaster and Rolex Seamaster are also "hall of fame" candidates).

• Reply 34 of 86
    Meh. I was afraid of being called that. In my defense, the B&M was a gift. Honestly. 8-)

Just busting your chops. That's one hell of a gift.
  • Reply 35 of 86
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Just busting your chops. That's one hell of a gift.

Thank you. It's the best gift I have received. (So far).

• Reply 36 of 86
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jinglesthula View Post

Huh.  I had been expecting a finished product, but this almost makes me wonder if the recent patent about a separate in-band sensor component

That patent is actually 3 years old and the band was merely a way of extending the functionality of a device that would "dock" to it. It was basically a far fetched idea about releasing a peripheral device for the 6G nano. (And I only use "far fetched", because Apple obviously thought of something better.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jinglesthula View Post

Traditional watch makers simply need to include the sensor component in the band and have a watch face that's at least so big and contains a layer that's normally transparent (so you can see whatever mechanical watch face the traditional watch maker designed) but becomes opaque when there's iWatch UI to display, such as when a notification comes in.

This I agree I could see Apple going this route. Let watch makers make the watch, with a few specifications from Apple, and Apple supplies the watch crystal and "computer" parts. The watch crystal could be a transparent sapphire microLED display.

- Apple acquired Luxvue, a company that was developing low-power microLED displays, that they claimed were, "a break through in displays." These displays are reportedly brighter while using less power.

- Apple acquired, Passif Semiconductors, designers of an extremely low-power Bluetooth chip.

- Apple also has all the engineering talent for designing their own extremely efficient SoC as well.

• Reply 37 of 86
    Thank you. It's the best gift I have received. (So far).

What, you're expecting better? ;)
  • Reply 38 of 86
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    asdasd wrote: »
    If Apple wants to not look naff these companies know what to do.

But how would a hybrid model work?

You wind it up then talk to it of course. :D
  • Reply 39 of 86
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    You wind it up then talk to it of course. :D
    And when it talks back to you it winds up all your friends. Pretty impressive for a watch.
  • Reply 40 of 86
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator
    This news fits well with what I've been posting on this subject:

In the fullness of time, all of the traditional watch makers are vulnerable.  The utility of a watch as a timepiece has already been wholly disrupted by technology.  Gone are the days when people check the time 100 times a day; smartphones with reminders and appointment calendars inform us of our time-based commitments, and these devices are looked at for a variety of purposes throughout the day, with the time ever present on screen.  Smart watches will first supplant ordinary watches as a more functional fashion accessory.  And with smart watch functionality soon becoming expected, luxury smart watches will come on the scene where they will displace those luxury watches whose functionality extends only to telling the time and a few other time-based functions.  A technology ecosystem will be a critical part of the picture, and this is something none of the existing luxury watchmakers can bring to the market in any meaningful way compared with the technology giants currently moving into this space.  Within 10 years, the notion of a luxury watch will be synonymous with luxury smart watch and the Rolexes of the world will be on the path to extinction.

Advice to the luxury watch makers:  partner with tech giants, if they'll even have you.