Apple spending on manufacturing & parts sees biggest increase since 2007 launch of first iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Out of context, it fits the Huberty situation to a "T".

So far out of context it does a grievous injustice to one of the great passages in the English language.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    philboogie wrote: »
    But R&D is manufacturing, is it?
    In the strictest sense no.
    If they need to pay for supplies for a much larger number of iPhones than before, ok, but that is manufacturing, not research, right?
    Yes. R&D is not manufacturing. However it can get fuzzy, for example R&D could build a pilot line that eventually gets transferred to manufacturing!
    That she thinks they are spending on an iWatch I can understand, and that would be research.

Research could also be for new phone designs? Think about the development of A8 and other chips here. Also think about the development of new case and screen technologies. Again you have R&D developing the initial production lines, often referred to as pilot line or Development hardware. This hardware may remain in the care of R&D or be transferred to manufacturing. In an ideal world, production lines are built from or derived from fully debugged R&D lines.

Edited to correct logical error!
  • Reply 23 of 34
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    flaneur wrote: »
    "We have all become Macbeth." —Speak for yourself. These (in the play) are the words of a man who overstepped the natural bonds of his people by killing their good leader, usurping his crown, all because of ambition and listening to his even more ambitious wife. He is desperate, tortured with guilt, trapped, and his soliloquy is a denial of Time in all its aspects: present, past and future, and then denial of life itself.
    You would be an exceptional person not to have some of Macbeth in you.
    Is that you? Certainly isn't me.
    It is a little bit of everybody, each and every man lives with some guilt in his life, or at times feels trapped or manipulated. In fact I can't see how a man could live a normal life and not have a bit of Macbeth in him. Maybe a true sociopath could live with out acknowledging his short comings.
    Sorry, this is one of my favorite passages, and it has a specific moral lesson in it about respect for established order, and what happens if it's violated.
    In a way I don't think you understand the passage.
    I wish the neocons who conned the US into Iraq would have been familiar with the lesson, for example. Out of place here.

Like the neocons had a lock on wanting to go into Iraq. The problem with our involvement in Iraq is that we went after the government and its leader not realizing that the issue in the Middle East is the people. Nothing good will happen in the Middle East until the world realizes that it is the people we need to attack along with their culture.

Frankly the current reluctance to inflict massive civilian casualties has lead to the current problem.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    What happened to calling it The Scottish Play? Oh yeah, this is the 21st century and we're not superstitious idiots.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

So far out of context it does a grievous injustice to one of the great passages in the English language.

I can live with it. The original material stands on its own.

• Reply 26 of 34
    philboogie wrote: »
    In Huberty's eyes, there are likely two reasons for this major increase. First, she believes that Apple is planning to build more iPhones than ever for a record setting launch this fall -- information consistent with recent supply chain rumors which have pegged the company building between 70 million and 80 million "iPhone 6" units before the end of this year.

Huberty also believes the significant spending increases could signal that Apple is planning to enter a new product category that would debut this year. The company is widely expected to launch a so-called "iWatch" this fall.

But R&D is manufacturing, is it? If they need to pay for supplies for a much larger number of iPhones than before, ok, but that is manufacturing, not research, right?

That she thinks they are spending on an iWatch I can understand, and that would be research.

It would seem to me that the large expenditure of R & D precedes the production of a new or highly revised product and some new or exotic production procedures are planned. The former used to begin a year or so ahead of production, while the latter could continue right up until production.

The purchasing of components for a production run is usually charged to manufacturing, not R & D.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    wizard69 wrote: »
    You would be an exceptional person not to have some of Macbeth in you.

[ . . . ]

Nothing good will happen in the Middle East until the world realizes that it is the people we need to attack along with their culture.

I see you have a good deal of Macbeth in you.

The play is about 'murder as a means to an end' being a violation of natural law. You might want to think about that.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    solipsismx wrote: »
    What happened to calling it The Scottish Play? Oh yeah, this is the 21st century and we're not superstitious idiots.

Ha. Superstition is still valid in the theater, where magic rules.

"The play's the thing wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king." Notice it just flushed out wizard69 as a supporter of mass murder.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Ha. Superstition is still valid in the theater, where magic rules.

"The play's the thing wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king." Notice it just flushed out wizard69 as a supporter of mass murder.

Give it a rest.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Give it a rest.

Not talking to you. But if I was, I should say it's good to see you reading something besides Ayn Rand.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Not talking to you. But if I was, I should say it's good to see you reading something besides Ayn Rand.

You are being really petty and judgmental today.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Sorry, you're right, apologies.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    "Magictanium"

Jobsium? Jobsanthium? Stevium? Boomanthium? Onemorethingium?

Ivium.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    frac wrote: »
    "Magictanium"

Jobsium? Jobsanthium? Stevium? Boomanthium? Onemorethingium?

Thermonuclium?

Surpriseanddelightium.